Canon 1DC tech quest: Unlocking 4K "Locked" file

lafilm

I have a tech question if anyone here can help. We "locked" some video files on the Canon 1DC dslr, (for safety) and forgot to "unlock" the video clips in the camera, before we downloaded into Premeire Pro.

Now, in Premeire Pro, the files are locked and we cannot edit them.

Of course the original CF cards have been swiped, so no going back.

Is there a special program that will "unlock" these video clips, or are we out of luck?

Thanks guys

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Never happened to me but have you tried eos movie utility? 

Franz, thanks for your response. Yes, it's a no go with eos movie utility. You would think that it would work, but it does not. Unfortunately. Hopefully someone out there has made a similar mistake and was able to open up there locked video files. I cannot seem to find anything on this on the Internet. Perhaps someone on this forum? Thanks 

Not sure if this is the problem but it's worth a try:

If you're on a Mac, go to the files that are locked in the Finder, select the file that's locked, right/two finger click on the locked file and select "Get Info". In the box that comes up, near the top where it has all the date information there should be a checkbox that says "Locked", and if I'm right then it should be checked. You should be able to uncheck the box and close the window and the file will be editable.

I'm pretty sure it's a similar process in Windows, opening the file info window in Explorer and there'll be something in there that says locked.

Hopefully it's that simple, good luck!

• Administrators

Will it Work if you put them back on the card and unlock them from the camera?

If jhnkng's suggestion doesn't work, I'd suggest that would be the only way. The lock is probably a Canon thing and not to do with any standard file system. Maybe take the card into a rental shop and beg them for a 1D C for a couple of mins?

When premiere imports the files, does it do any transformation? If not you might want to try copying the thing on the CF again in the same place where it's supposed to be and unlock it inside the camera. I have never used a 1dc, but it might be worth the try if it's doable.

Not sure if this is the problem but it's worth a try:

If you're on a Mac, go to the files that are locked in the Finder, select the file that's locked, right/two finger click on the locked file and select "Get Info". In the box that comes up, near the top where it has all the date information there should be a checkbox that says "Locked", and if I'm right then it should be checked. You should be able to uncheck the box and close the window and the file will be editable.

I'm pretty sure it's a similar process in Windows, opening the file info window in Explorer and there'll be something in there that says locked.

Hopefully it's that simple, good luck!

jhnkng, that did it! Thank you very much!!

If jhnkng's suggestion doesn't work, I'd suggest that would be the only way. The lock is probably a Canon thing and not to do with any standard file system. Maybe take the card into a rental shop and beg them for a 1D C for a couple of mins?

Thanks Andrew. I appreciate your feedback. jhnkng suggestion worked. Fortunately was able to fix the problem. 

When premiere imports the files, does it do any transformation? If not you might want to try copying the thing on the CF again in the same place where it's supposed to be and unlock it inside the camera. I have never used a 1dc, but it might be worth the try if it's doable.

Thanks araucaria for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Will it Work if you put them back on the card and unlock them from the camera?

Thanks sandro, got it.