nikon d5300 vs canon 5d for filmmaking

Cassio

Hi .I m thinking on buy my first camera and i have this killing question on my mind.

Should i buy a d5300 or a 5d m3?

And all beacause of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjgh4RJasQc

As i Can see the quality is the same (if not better

The nikon have a good low light and better dynamic range(13.9 ev)

Before anything, i know but i not considering the 5d´s:

Magic latern raw,better low light(for me(i repeat,for me)the nikon wins this with the good price ,and i have no doubt of that)

I just wanna know from someone that got the d5300 that its just because of youtube compression,or that comparison its that equal(in normal light condition),and the d5300 its that awesome.Or further the shallow Dof there is a WAY MUCH better image quality that the 5d full frame sensor give ,and i cant see on youtube.

As i can see a good original sample.this youtube compression makes a lot of doubt

THANKS A LOT

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, you could buy four 5300's or one MKIII.

On the web, there are hundreds (or likely thousands) of posts, reviews, tests, and so on for these cameras. The major differences are, of course, price and sensor size. Sensor size has a really big impact on your footage and in many cases it's big, big differentiator as far as the look you want to achieve. Then there are dozens of smaller differences, from color rendering to menus to size to… etc etc etc.

I don't think anyone can answer this with zero info about what you want to do (other than the fanboys for either body). For the $$, the 5300 can give a really beautiful look. If you want raw, that's another thing entirely and you should be considering raw cameras. In many ways you're comparing apples to elephants here. If you have the money for a $2400 body, I'd start thinking about what features you really need, what sort of look you want, and which cameras deliver it.

If your budget is $600, you might be hard-pressed to find a better body (new at least) than the 5300. You'll be limited to Nikon mount glass though, which isn't a giant limitation - only about 5 decades worth of glass out there. But it doesn't seem like you've thought this through or done much research. If you're an absolute beginner (and we all were once), get the cheap one and see if you actually have talent in this area first. If you've got money to burn… I dunno, get an Ursa Mini.

The D5300 does NOT have 14 stops dynamic range. You can make it pretty flat and get a look with noise reduction that perhaps mimics about 12 stops, but your midtones go out the window and the image becomes mushy and soft. As you can see from that video you linked to dynamic range is very similar to the 5DIII. I compared DR to a G6 a while ago and it was pretty identical - the D5300 was capable of a little more (half a stop perhaps) but because the image is very soft, you want to keep contrast in it to compensate (the brain reads contrast as sharpness) so it becomes irrelevant. 

This was my attempt to get as much DR out of the D5300 as I could (using Flaat 11). It took a lot of work with noise reduction and subtle(ish) use of film grain to get these images appear to have decent DR. Not worth it in the end - and if you put people in the frame skin looks like a flat piece of orange paper:

The nice thing about the D5300 is the colours and at only 24mbps you can grade the crap out of it:

So what profile and settings do you recommend using, and what grading/LUTS etc? I'm testing this out. 

Flaat 11 is fine as long as you put the contrast back in. I don't like using LUTs because they're destructive and inhibit creativity. imagine if Van Gough went to the paint shop and bought a restricted set of colours someone else had chosen for him? Unless you've exposed all your images perfectly and you're in a real hurry to get the job done they're pretty pointless IMO. :)

Flaat 11 is fine as long as you put the contrast back in. I don't like using LUTs because they're destructive and inhibit creativity. imagine if Van Gough went to the paint shop and bought a restricted set of colours someone else had chosen for him

haha this is true! Well I will try flaat 11 again. 

thanks the replies, and great videos Lintelfilm.Well when i think of a camera for me its for making short films and videos stuff.I think the quality of your videos are great for me,but when you say you used noise reduction ,are you talking about the noise at a high ISO?

thanks the replies, and great videos Lintelfilm.Well when i think of a camera for me its for making short films and videos stuff.I think the quality of your videos are great for me,but when you say you used noise reduction ,are you talking about the noise at a high ISO?

No, if you use the profile Flaat 11 (which you don't have to) the darker areas are noisy, even in daylight. I used NR to fix this.