Bought the Canon 1DC

FilmMan

I turned to the Dark Side.  Darth FilmMan.  I got stupid last week.  Let me rephrase that.  I got dumber than usual.  I was talking to a sales guy about the Canon 1DC.  I said, "sharpen your pencil, and give me a price that will make me buy."  I bought it -  I still paid too much.  Then I ordered Lexar 1000x cards and another battery from other places.  So I get the camera, cards and extra battery.   At first I was questioning my decision.  Then not questioning myself.  Anyway, I won't keep rambling.   I was putting up stuff on Vimeo but the compression for a non-plus member is not as good.  So I put some stuff on YouTube.  Here's a quick shot of my neighbor.  90 mm lens.  4K footage down sampled to 1080p.  Then uploaded to the Tuber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lii3vOm3p7w

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi HurtinMinorKey,

I'll have to figure how to do the file sharing.  In the background, it was quite dark  and there was some junk sitting there.  The camera sensor is really sensitive and seemed to be flickering abit too.  I'll have to make sure I'm not the issue or if it is a camera issue.  Probably me.  Might have been the rums.  The camera is challenging, and I'm a slow learning.   Cheers. 

Well done man!  I have come close to signing away my life for a 2yr interest free deal on the 1DC.  I'm yet to let my mad brain allow it, but I have come almost too close!   Hope you enjoy it.  I think you just bought the best value camera at the moment (and I'm being serious).  

Hi HurtinMinorKey,

You have a good eye.  I looked at the footage a little more.  Behind my neighbor there was a computer box.  The writing is the culprit.  In the original footage no problem - perfect.  In the color grade it suffers  - but the box was not in too much light.  The writing on the box, which is black and is blurred due being out of focus, becomes "whacked out" or looks like banding.  This happened after pushing the footage a little too much in grading.  I guess I could have masked that portion of the footage.  

Good for you. did your store provide you with a 30 day money back guarantee or a restocking fee? I think Q1 and Q2 are weird times to invest in 4K. However as someone had mentioned shooting 4k for stock footage commissions is not a bad idea. slow mo is underrated. 60p minimum at 4k.

4k downscaled to 1080p for the effect of 4:4:4 is indeed the key, but s35 is true s35 as good as any 1080p sensor'd camera out there from my research.  I imagine the s35 crop mode is about as sharp as the c300, c100 and probably beats the fs100, and has a higher bitrate in camera, onto card codec.   If I recall, s35 crop mode is nearly the same as c300 straight to card,

I wonder if the S35 crop mode keeps its resolution through the HDMI out?

Would be a sweet little setup, if you get C300'esque 1080p pro-res 4:2:2, for those jobs that don't need 4K.

Also, filmman, if you get a chance.. can you see if the S35 crop mode can do 60p? If it does... Then getting C300 quality 1080/60p is a huge plus point.

Good for you. did your store provide you with a 30 day money back guarantee or a restocking fee? I think Q1 and Q2 are weird times to invest in 4K. However as someone had mentioned shooting 4k for stock footage commissions is not a bad idea. slow mo is underrated. 60p minimum at 4k.

Hi Leang,

Didn't ask about restocking or 30 day.  I plan on using this 1DC for my flic this year .  I needed a mobile camera which can give quality. I'm testing different lighting situations to get a feel as to the horsepower of this camera.  I did some shots outside the other day under a gloomy day - shots were not bad.  I want to take more outdoor shots but the weather is around -20 C.  I'm planning on some indoor shots tomorrow with my neighbor. 

I wonder if the S35 crop mode keeps its resolution through the HDMI out?

Would be a sweet little setup, if you get C300'esque 1080p pro-res 4:2:2, for those jobs that don't need 4K.

Also, filmman, if you get a chance.. can you see if the S35 crop mode can do 60p? If it does... Then getting C300 quality 1080/60p is a huge plus point.

Hi ScreensPro,

S35 doesn't do 60p.  1080p will do 60p.  Cheers.

4k downscaled to 1080p for the effect of 4:4:4 is indeed the key, but s35 is true s35 as good as any 1080p sensor'd camera out there from my research.  I imagine the s35 crop mode is about as sharp as the c300, c100 and probably beats the fs100, and has a higher bitrate in camera, onto card codec.   If I recall, s35 crop mode is nearly the same as c300 straight to card,

i think that intelligently sampling from the native 4K mjpegs can reap extraordinary benefits. As long as the native mjpegs don't band, you effectively get a higher bit depth.   

Hi Leang,

Didn't ask about restocking or 30 day.  I plan on using this 1DC for my flic this year .  I needed a mobile camera which can give quality. I'm testing different lighting situations to get a feel as to the horsepower of this camera.  I did some shots outside the other day under a gloomy day - shots were not bad.  I want to take more outdoor shots but the weather is around -20 C.  I'm planning on some indoor shots tomorrow with my neighbor. 

-20c, same as here in Finland. Good thing the 1dc is weather sealed. That's one of the great things about DSLR's, they tend to be way better sealed than videocams.

Took a couple of shots of my son.  Used Neutral then Canon Log.  Neutral was fine.  With CANON LOG, when adjusting the shadows and highlights within legal limits, one gets some banding in the image!  Piss me off.  I'm going to do some more testing this afternoon with the neighbor. 

Took a couple of shots of my son.  Used Neutral then Canon Log.  Neutral was fine.  With CANON LOG, when adjusting the shadows and highlights within legal limits, one gets some banding in the image!  Piss me off.  I'm going to do some more testing this afternoon with the neighbor. 

The problem with a those Log color space on most cam, is that it is 8-bit. There is a lot of bits reserved for highlights but not much for mid-tone and almost nothing for shadow. It is almost useless in 8bit.

Even more, if your shadows and highlight are not using the full dynamic range and you stretch them a lot in post, you'll get a lot of banding.

I would use 8-bit Log only in a controlled environnement (eg. studio) where the highlights and shadows use the entire dynamic range.

I really think that Log should be at least 10bits.

are you grading with a 32bit workflow?  so all your effects applied to the image are 32bit?  Your banding should disappear all together with a 32bit workflow, even with 8bit original capture

The problem with a those Log color space on most cam, is that it is 8-bit. There is a lot of bits reserved for highlights but not much for mid-tone and almost nothing for shadow. It is almost useless in 8bit.

Even more, if your shadows and highlight are not using the full dynamic range and you stretch them a lot in post, you'll get a lot of banding.

I would use 8-bit Log only in a controlled environnement (eg. studio) where the highlights and shadows use the entire dynamic range.

I really think that Log should be at least 10bits.

Hi chauffeurdevan,

You are totally right.  Used controlled lighting today and noticed this to be the case.  I think 10 bit would solve the issue or improve it.  I noticed the controlled lighting has to be very controlled - error can bite you in the butt. 

Under non controlled light, I took 2 shots in front of a window (the light from the window shone on my son).  Exposure was good, the light source was good, etc.  One shot was neutral and the other Canon log.  In my son's face (skin color broke apart between brighter to darker when color corrected - shadows and highlights adjusted).  The neutral held - although under further looking, I noticed very, very slight banding too.

are you grading with a 32bit workflow?  so all your effects applied to the image are 32bit?  Your banding should disappear all together with a 32bit workflow, even with 8bit original capture

Hi richg101,

I use 32 bit workflow so I was surprised with the 1DC's footage not holding better.