Does it worth to upgrade to Zeiss Distagon?

JazzBox

19 hours ago, JazzBox said:

I'm happy to hear that!! Which are the main differences on both m4/3 and Super35? 

all the Zeiss C/Y lenses are very consistant across the range of focal lengths , same Zeiss glass colours same blacks / contrast , same look , so the differance is that the 25mm is just that bit wider and the 28mm has just that bit more bokeh .....the 50mm f1.7 is brighter about 1/2 stop more than the rest of the range so if you have it at f2.8 its brighter than all the other lenses in the range at f2.8 - appart from that these are amazing lenses - same glass exactly as the  Zeiss Ultra Prime and Super Speed cine lenses at at fraction of the cost

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Is the 45mm f/2.8 up there with all the others? It seems such a cute little lens. :) And it would be one of the more affordable ones to find in a super solid state. Was wondering if I should try that one first after failing to put in the highest bid on a 35mm f/2.8 from eBay...

3 hours ago, andy lee said:

all the Zeiss C/Y lenses are very consistant across the range of focal lengths , same Zeiss glass colours same blacks / contrast , same look , so the differance is that the 25mm is just that bit wider and the 28mm has just that bit more bokeh .....the 50mm f1.7 is brighter about 1/2 stop more than the rest of the range so if you have it at f2.8 its brighter than all the other lenses in the range at f2.8 - appart from that these are amazing lenses - same glass exactly as the  Zeiss Ultra Prime and Super Speed cine lenses at at fraction of the cost

Hey Andy, I read in an old post where you said that the Fujinon c-mounts are comparable to Zeiss. I have the 35mm 1.7 and I can confirm that it is an amazing little lens, but I need to get it modified. If I go to the trouble and cost to modify the lens I would also like to pick up the 16mm and maybe the 25mm. Are they just as good and do you know if the 16mm will cover the m43 sensor in my G7? 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Hey Andy, I read in an old post where you said that the Fujinon c-mounts are comparable to Zeiss. I have the 35mm 1.7 and I can confirm that it is an amazing little lens, but I need to get it modified. If I go to the trouble and cost to modify the lens I would also like to pick up the 16mm and maybe the 25mm. Are they just as good and do you know if the 16mm will cover the m43 sensor in my G7? 

yes the Japanese Fujinon C mount lenses are very very good , superb sharp glass like no other c mount Ive seen , the 35mm 1.7 is easy to modify , unscrew the rear ring remove it then araldite the screw ring onto the rear of the lens mount then araldite the whole thing onto a c mount / micro 4/3 adaptor , the 50mm 1.4 is a similar mod , the 25mm 1.4 requires a new rear ring making and the 75mm requires part of the rear turning off in a lathe - ALL are worth modifying

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

I have a 35mm f/1.7 C-mount as well. Unfortunately it's a 'Fujian' toy lens and not a 'Fujinon'.

Are they supposed to be remotely similar? Like the Chinese doing what the Russians did back in the day with Zeiss?

No Fujian is Chinese soft cctv lens , for fun only ....Fujinon is serious Japanese machine vision lenses - Zeiss quality glass

18 minutes ago, andy lee said:

yes the Japanese Fujinon C mount lenses are very very good , superb sharp glass like no other c mount Ive seen , the 35mm 1.7 is easy to modify , unscrew the rear ring remove it then araldite the screw ring onto the rear of the lens mount then araldite the whole thing onto a c mount / micro 4/3 adaptor , the 50mm 1.4 is a similar mod , the 25mm 1.4 requires a new rear ring making and the 75mm requires part of the rear turning off in a lathe - ALL are worth modifying

No Fujian is Chinese soft cctv lens , for fun only ....Fujinon is serious Japanese machine vision lenses - Zeiss quality glass

I'll be damned, great idea. I was thinking trying to find a different rear screw ring that could fit inside the m43 adapter... Didn't even consider adhesive.

Thanks!!!

Are you familiar with the 16mm f/1.4?

22 minutes ago, andy lee said:

araldite works fine , give it a go ,

Sure enough, it looks like it will work. I did a dry run and held the lens up to the adapter and I was able to get infinity focus. I had to use my slim c-mount adapter, but that's fine. So, after you adhesive the rear ring onto the back of the lens, then you glue the threads on the c-mount before turning it into the adapter?

screw the silver rear thread thing into the cmount adaptor , then carefully araldite all round the edge of the silver rear thread element and then attach the lens onto it

make sure your markings at at the top of the lens when its mounted or you will be reading aperture setting on the side if you dont line it up correct

5 minutes ago, andy lee said:

screw the silver rear thread thing into the cmount adaptor , then carefully araldite all round the edge of the silver rear thread element and then attach the lens onto it

make sure your markings at at the top of the lens when its mounted or you will be reading aperture setting on the side if you dont line it up correct

That's awesome, thank you so much. I was bummed that I couldn't use this lens without having it professionally modified. I have been using some old cosmicar f/1.9 lenses with my G7 successfully and they are great, but not nearly as nice as the Fujinon. I also have a set of Canon VF TV lenses that are fantastic, and the 12.5mm covers the entire sensor... With no vignetting. 

On 05 febbraio 2016 at 8:26 PM, andy lee said:

Thank you very much! As always you are a goldmine of precious informations!

I'm going to buy the 28 as soon as possible!

What about the CY Distagon zooms?

Is there any lens in this CY Distagon mount wider then 25mm?
Or any way (other then metabones) to go wider?

Huge thanks for your patience!!  

5 hours ago, JazzBox said:

Thank you very much! As always you are a goldmine of precious informations!

I'm going to buy the 28 as soon as possible!

What about the CY Distagon zooms?

Is there any lens in this CY Distagon mount wider then 25mm?
Or any way (other then metabones) to go wider?

Huge thanks for your patience!!  

Zooms: the 28-85, 35-70, and 80-200 are all excellent. 35-70 is the cheapest, parfocal, constant aperture, and takes smaller filters, so it's the most popular.

Ultra Wide: There's an amazing 21mm 2.8-- the same design as the ZE/ZF2 version. It's expensive (in fact, more expensive than the newer versions) but has an aperture ring, focuses the right way, and features the older, more forgiving T* coatings. 

There's also an 18mm f/4. Not quite as sharp, but very low distortion and it won't break the bank. You'll need an adapter to put filters on it, and it's a big size. 82mm if I recall, but I'd have to double check.

2 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Zooms: the 28-85, 35-70, and 80-200 are all excellent. 35-70 is the cheapest, parfocal, constant aperture, and takes smaller filters, so it's the most popular.

Ultra Wide: There's an amazing 21mm 2.8-- the same design as the ZE/ZF2 version. It's expensive (in fact, more expensive than the newer versions) but has an aperture ring, focuses the right way, and features the older, more forgiving T* coatings. 

There's also an 18mm f/4. Not quite as sharp, but very low distortion and it won't break the bank. You'll need an adapter to put filters on it, and it's a big size. 82mm if I recall, but I'd have to double check.

Thank you very much for your kind answers! I'll search them!! ;)

1 minute ago, andy lee said:

the Zeiss 28-70mm C/Y zoom is very sharp f3.5 and stops down to 4.5 as you zoom to 70mm , so not constant aperture BUT it is small and light so great outdoors when I dont want to use the Nikon 28-70mm which is big and heavy ,

Thank you very much!!! I definitely have to find it! :)

1 minute ago, andy lee said:

outside I use Tiffen Nds on the front so I can keep if fully wide open - its a great small lens with the Zeiss look - it has an aspheric element so is razor sharp

Thank you! I also have to try those Tiffen ND, now I have a ProND 16 HOYA and I'm happy with that, before I had variable HOYA and had ghost problems.