Image Stabilization really needed for wide angle lens?

lvk

Hi there

Looking at wide angle / lower light lens options and a lot of folks like the Tokina AT-X 11-20mm F2.8 PRO DX. Doesn't come with image stabilization. My question, is image stabilization even needed for something this wide? Any thoughts on what else to keep an eye out for? Thanks in advance for the time.

Own a 70D with EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Standard Zoom Lens currently.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If it's for the Canon 70D, then why not get the EF-S 10-18mm IS STM? You need wide with f/2.8 for shallow depth or lowlight?

Otherwise, it works fine with a mechanical or electronic stabilizer. If your handheld skills are any good, you can digitally stabilize it in post quite a bit. Just cropping in on 1080p video isn't ideal.

Thank for the info. I have been looking at the EF-S 10-18mm IS STM but was hoping for something that could handle lower light situations for video use. f/4.5-5.6 is pretty slow. If going hand held, I worry about the Tokina. I have a steady hand, but from I have been seeing online, it certainly would benefit from IS.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Use/test your lens at 18mm with and without IS. It will give you a very close idea of how IS works in a wide shot. The 18-135mm has awesome IS. 

Great idea Ebrahim on the test. Yes my 18-135mm has amazing IS and maybe it is spoiling me. 

I have no aesthetic issues with the hand held look. But I do have issues with microshake or jitters that DSLR's and others are prone to.

I'm an editor by trade (20+ years) and have worked with all kinds of creative styles. Recently picked up the 70D to re-introduce me to shooting video (and photography). Has been a great creative experience. Another place to geek out on too.

Thanks everyone!