Early adopters are beta testers

Ed_David

Sit back a few years, then you get a camera that's usually 50% off the first price and has no more bugs.

You can leap frog from older camera to older camera.

You can right now use the Sony F3 and own it for $4k or so used, and then when you are ready, switch to a F5 or F55 or FS7 when it comes down in price.

With the savings, invest in lighting, glass, and tripod, and camera movement.

Find your niche - are you good at lighting?  Composition?  Movement.  

Invest in that.

The Red One MX still has probably 90% of what you need vs a Red Dragon or Weapon or bla bla bla.  

Do tests.

Sorry Andrew about the FS5 issues.  But you get what you pay for.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

F3 and RED ONE MX are mighty heavy beasts though, so will not be right for all situations and all people.

If you need a smaller and lighter body, then out of the old cameras the 5D Mark II with Magic Lantern raw shoots by far the nicest looking images.

As for me I have to stay on the cutting edge, because I enjoy it.

felt that way about the NX1 even though I got it late as hell. Had to wait for the h.265 support. You're really rolling the dice buying brand new cameras these days. I see why some organizations (like the military) only use whats proven in the field and never whats new

(...) and now the upcoming X5R for half of the announced price, three affordable bets.

Reviewing the past information, the X5R price hadn't been announced, actually. Only Inspire 1 X5R kit has dropped the price from $8K to $6K. Not exactly a half, even as bundle.

The Sony F3 with a samurai blade and battery weighs about 3.5 Kg.  Really not that heavy at all. 

But yes, after one year, the prices come down now about 30-50%.  And the camera has all the kinks out of it.

It is fun to buy early, but it's even more fun just to borrow the camera from a camera house in exchange for a video .  That's how I got the Sony FS7 when it first came out.  And how I returned it right away when it first came out.