DJI X5R - Price drop

Jimmy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

And when it's half of that new price, and I've seen footage from it, then I might be interested. But at $3200 we are in A7rii, Ursa mini, A7sII price range and more than the NX1. Sorry, but any one of those is a much more solid pick. I could see $1500 with osmo handle thrown in. And that is only if the battery life on the osmo improves. I get about 20-40 minutes out of ours. Oh, and ditch the smartphone. It should have a dedicated screen.

I'm done with 4:2:0, 8 bit video... So i'm not gonna compare it to the Sony/Samsung products.... But yea, if you want an A cam, this aint the one, it's a niche market.

If they had 10 bit ProRes though, as an option... I'd be very interested in an Inspire 1 with X5R

• Administrators

I think it's very interesting.

Like a RAW shooting GH4, but small enough to go on the OSMO, which remember offers better stabilisation than the IBIS of the E-M5 II we are all in love with.

Raw + that kind of stabilisation + GH4 sensor = win!

Yes it is still expensive but I think it's worth it.

Definitely on my list to try out in 2016.

And if you don't want raw just the 4K H.264 like the GH4 it works out around $1600 including the X5 gimbal.

Not bad at all.

Yea, it is interesting, for sure....

As the gap between image quality on each camera decreases, then other aspects will come more and more into play. Camera movement is and always will be a sure fire way to get a more cinematic image... the fact that it should have a very nice cinematic image too is great.

I imagine that blackmagic will soon enough announce a 4K version of their micro, but that will be a 2017 camera, no doubt.

• Administrators

What about a Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera, video assist and X or Y gimbal? I guess light, wide lenses are a bit of an issue. That and the fact Blackmagic will be announcing their replacements at NAB 2016 before either are even in stock anywhere...

It's not as fuss free or as light as the OSMO, which is basically a tiny stick in a backpack. It's fantastically easy to grab shots with it on foot.

You don't have to spend 10 minutes before every shot fiddling with the rigging bolts, balancing the gimbal depending on your lens, and so on.

With the X5R you would stick a Micro Four Thirds 15mm F1.7 or pancake on it and just shoot instantly with a setup time measured in the seconds it takes to remove it form a bag.

Any idea how much the media costs for the X5R?

B&H seem to be listing 3rd party SSDs in the accessory section, so any SSD upto 512GB should work, as long as it can match the eye watering 2.4Gbps (Average: 1.7 Gbps) bitrate

I'm sure people will be concerned about the 12 minutes of footage per SSD limit, but that roughly corresponds to a copter flight on an Inspire (and you can stop/start recording while in the air). It's gonna be used on the big money shots anyway. A ProRes or compressed raw option would be very much appreciated though and I have already passed the message on to my contact at DJI (and that it was way overpriced).

Yes... And the drone alone was under $3k at that point, so some simple maths were applied.

Anyway, there has been a big price drop that has made it more interesting... I have no interest in pedantic arguments. Next time I will be sure to put "nearly half the price of the hypothetical figure worked out with an X - Y equation".

Yes... And the drone alone was under $3k at that point, so some simple maths were applied.

Anyway, there has been a big price drop that has made it more interesting... I have no interest in pedantic arguments. Next time I will be sure to put "nearly half the price of the hypothetical figure worked out with an X - Y equation".

That's not important. I even quoted your thought in another thread : ) Only later, I realized the price drop is $2K, that's what matters in fact. And this changes the price range of the offer indeed. As for instance to me, it already started to interest us, my clientele included. So, in the end your news have been very welcome to my plans.

I'd just like to arrange some other more affordable drone offer such as the one manufactured by 3DRobotics. The difference with the GoPro H4 is not small, pretty huge, to be straight forward.