Sony FS5 codec problems and 4K ripped edges bug

Andrew Reid

I've uncovered an interesting development. Not sure if you guys have noticed this or not but it looks like there is more macro blocking in the cine gammas than in SLOG. I tried every gamma curve but here are two examples. The one on top is SLOG 2 at 3200 ungraded and the bottom is CINE 2 at 1000 iso (same thing, 0db) . I was testing low light. Both are using SGAMUT.CINE @ 3200K. SLOG 2 has more "visible" noise but it's finer grains and looks great when graded. CINE 2 has horrible blocky chunks in underexposed areas. I found that all the cine gammas carried this trait but the LOG profile didn't. This makes me more confident that tweaks can be made in firmware to the cine gammas. It seems like it could be part of the NR issue?

SLOG 2, 3200 ISO, SGAMUTCINE 3200K.png

CINE 2, 1000 ISO, SGAMUTCINE 3200K.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have now noticed the makro blocking in my footage. It was 1080p50 with only 800 ISO @ cine2. So sad. :( 

I first only saw a flickering in the center of the image. Then I magnified and saw it better but it was most visible when the video was playing. Every second frame the normal noise would disappear and become a blocky chunk then normal noise again. Very strange. I also attached a strongly color graded fram grab with two frames that were directly after each other. Left left is the frame with normal noise and right the frame shows how the noise becomes a blocky structure. This is visible in the footage as flickering, which everyone can see and gets stronger when color graded. 

I hope Sony really fixes this soon. I have notified my dealer and they notified their Sony supplier in Germany about the issue. I have not heard back yet. 

I think everyone of us should write to their dealer so they put pressure on sony so they will fix the Noise Reduction problem or give us a better XAVC codec with higher bitrates. 

By the way, does anyone know what SD UHS standard is used in the FS5? Do you think it supports UHS-II and we could hope for a higher bitrate update? 

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 15.26.35.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 15.41.32.png

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...