Web Delivery or: How I Hate YouTube

andrgl

On 1/2/2016 at 10:58 PM, Sekhar said:

Vimeo is as bad or worse than YouTube in my experience, so I don't agree with the "you get what you pay for, and YouTube is worse than Vimeo because it is free and Vimeo is not." I have the PRO account on Vimeo, and EVERY ONE of the videos I uploaded to Vimeo turned out to be similar to or worse than on YouTube, so I just don't get what you guys are talking about. To be sure, there are other benefits (no ads, can replace video, have custom links, etc.), but WRT to picture quality I don't see any benefit.

If you guys can show a single example of the exact SAME FILE uploaded to YouTube and Vimeo, with Vimeo generating better PQ, I'd love to see it.

Thanks for the reminder. I've got a now empty Vimeo account, and need to cancel auto-renew.

I have zero issues with other streaming services, but for some reason Vimeo refuses to cache properly, and playing the pause/catchup game is tedious in the extreme. Watching anything there has become a miserable experience.  I'd much rather download an entire file from Google Drive or OneDrive.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/2/2016 at 10:58 PM, Sekhar said:

Vimeo is as bad or worse than YouTube in my experience, so I don't agree with the "you get what you pay for, and YouTube is worse than Vimeo because it is free and Vimeo is not." I have the PRO account on Vimeo, and EVERY ONE of the videos I uploaded to Vimeo turned out to be similar to or worse than on YouTube, so I just don't get what you guys are talking about. To be sure, there are other benefits (no ads, can replace video, have custom links, etc.), but WRT to picture quality I don't see any benefit.

If you guys can show a single example of the exact SAME FILE uploaded to YouTube and Vimeo, with Vimeo generating better PQ, I'd love to see it.

are you sure you are using the right compression settings ? I have the exact opposite experience with youtube vs vimeo

On 9/13/2017 at 11:04 AM, KrisAK said:

Thanks for the reminder. I've got a now empty Vimeo account, and need to cancel auto-renew.

I have zero issues with other streaming services, but for some reason Vimeo refuses to cache properly, and playing the pause/catchup game is tedious in the extreme. Watching anything there has become a miserable experience.  I'd much rather download an entire file from Google Drive or OneDrive.

vimeo's terrible buffering is my only issue with the platform. The image quality is better than youtube though. I cant wait til vp9 becomes a widely supported format to help use get better quality compression

I'm sure there's a special recipe for uploading to Youtube/Vimeo - I've tried the "upload the +2K & in ProRes Lt or proxy", which seems to work for Vimeo but not so great for YT (seen this first hand recently). However, you see lots of great looking YT videos (movie trailers/high end ads/music videos etc), which makes me think that maybe they get special treatment for a price? There's almost certainly a double standard between big companies' content & the rest of us lesser mortals - if there isn't then why do our videos look pretty damn rubbish.

But...most YT/Vimeo content is watched on a phone & so it will almost always look good - smaller screen & maybe, slightly different encoding. Yes you can argue "I don't, I always watch on my computer etc..", but you are in the minority & will just have to accept that.

The only real thing that sets YT & Vimeo apart, is that via certain Vimeo accounts you can allow people to download a pretty good version - well, better than the streamed version. So there's that.

The last thing to say about streaming is that even on Netflix/Amazon etc. you can see some pretty dodgy looking highend content (macro blocking etc.), so it might just be a case that not all compression routes are equal & by this i mostly mean NLE export settings.