Red One MX - Why I bought one

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I Bought one and sold one last year camera is awesome all the shooting options but he forgot to mention that it take up to 96 seconds for it to power up it eats batteries power for breakfast no to mention space on HD. i know camera is a professional and PL mount now you need Pl lenses in my case i cant rent every time i like to shoot or experiment i got family to feed :) I was thinking i can get use my Yashica lenses well on top of 10k i spend on camera i was looking for another $2350 for 2 mounts that will enable me to use my yashica lenses pretty much anything for that camera from a screw to extra battery or is above 500 dollars. And lets not forget the weight of the camera. Felling that i got from the camera that i head for entire 2 months is that its a 2 man job to operate i was always asking my wife to hold this hold that. Then i went to shoot outside charge the batteries got a Zeiss Compact Prime 35mm 300$ a day by the time camera power up one batteries was half gone i got 22 min of shooting and 36 minutes in standby mode. Then wanted to buy bigger battery but 450 US dollars that is 620 Canadian it just adds up. And lets not foget you nedto to spend some money on a HD space for your computer or a brand new computers since you are working with red raw its fine to play with one file or one shoot but wen you start editing short films or music videos in 4.5k or even HD it cost money.

So what did i buy with 10k a color correcting station (something like in that pic) beefy computer BMPCC, lights, glidecam400  kowa B&H davinci resolve. My main goal is the learning the art. I know that MX shoot nice pictures but if i cant view those images properly on a dedicated monitor or grade them and see what i am doing wrong i might as well get a grading station and BMPCC which shoots raw and i can see exactly what i am doing with color and scopes. BMPCC is not MX but its dam close when it comes to image and what you can do with it. But if everything goes according to plan next year purchase will be red scarlet camera they go for for abut 7k to 10k. but still i am jealous that he has red mx its a great camera for right person just not for me

glassworks.png

• Super Members

I Bought one and sold one last year camera is awesome all the shooting options but he forgot to mention that it take up to 96 seconds for it to power up it eats batteries power for breakfast no to mention space on HD. i know camera is a professional and PL mount now you need Pl lenses in my case i cant rent every time i like to shoot or experiment i got family to feed :) I was thinking i can get use my Yashica lenses well on top of 10k i spend on camera i was looking for another $2350 for 2 mounts that will enable me to use my yashica lenses pretty much anything for that camera from a screw to extra battery or is above 500 dollars. And lets not forget the weight of the camera. Felling that i got from the camera that i head for entire 2 months is that its a 2 man job to operate i was always asking my wife to hold this hold that. Then i went to shoot outside charge the batteries got a Zeiss Compact Prime 35mm 300$ a day by the time camera power up one batteries was half gone i got 22 min of shooting and 36 minutes in standby mode. Then wanted to buy bigger battery but 450 US dollars that is 620 Canadian it just adds up. And lets not foget you nedto to spend some money on a HD space for your computer or a brand new computers since you are working with red raw its fine to play with one file or one shoot but wen you start editing short films or music videos in 4.5k or even HD it cost money.

So what did i buy with 10k a color correcting station (something like in that pic) beefy computer BMPCC, lights, glidecam400  kowa B&H davinci resolve. My main goal is the learning the art. I know that MX shoot nice pictures but if i cant view those images properly on a dedicated monitor or grade them and see what i am doing wrong i might as well get a grading station and BMPCC which shoots raw and i can see exactly what i am doing with color and scopes. BMPCC is not MX but its dam close when it comes to image and what you can do with it. But if everything goes according to plan next year purchase will be red scarlet camera they go for for abut 7k to 10k. but still i am jealous that he has red mx its a great camera for right person just not for me

glassworks.png

You where getting ripped of, a mount for Yashica is €100 :)

But mine takes Nikon and need no more accessories. 

Regarding hard drive space, I love how little space it eats. Compared to the BMCC its a vegitarian :)

But I get your points. Its as always all down to personal situation, needs, preference, etc.

Mattias can you explain why the RED suited your needs when the URSA & 1DC didn't (and your BMCC for that matter)?

If we take the URSA.
Its first of all much more expensive. Probably twice or three times the cost after all the accessories. 

A used URSA or URSA mini 4K body only is more than I payed for a fully rigged Red with media, EVF, Monitor, etc.

And if I rigg out an URSA I have a camera with very smilar specs. Both shoot Raw, bot have high fps Raw etc. Seize and weight.. yeah the URSA mini 4K might be a little lighter but its heavy enough for me not to exactly run around with it. And its lower DR etc.

But the the reason that made the final push is the Red codec. It is crazy nice to work with. Specially if you have Final Cut (which I very recently switched to).
You can use Resolve, Reds free grading software or simply import in Final Cut with access to Raw settings.
But what really sets it apart from the BMD Raw is that it flows. If I use 4.5K Raw (crazy) WITHOUT creating proxies or optimized media, its pretty much real time playback. On a base model 
Macbook.

(I do regret the grade of the 4K version though, think they look nicer in the 5 Reasons video.)

Vindication! I thought the 5 reasons video looked better than the Last Test, but I doubted myself because I worried it might have just been knowing it was shot on Red that made it look better in the second video! 

Matt (I'm the cheeky chap on YouTube who said the first one looked like 8bit h264 by the way).

That particular seller didn’t want to ship to Sweden, but another one did.

Glad you got one with a Nikon mount.

lenses.thumb.png.1bc0e234fc4b6506c845390

Try to see if you can snag a Nikkor 28-70 or 80-200 with broken AF. I've seen many hover around 300-500 USD where I live.

I'm currently trying to find a good second hand production camera. Thinking of either getting a Red or Sony so thanks for the insight.

Try to see if you can snag a Nikkor 28-70 or 80-200 with broken AF. I've seen many hover around 300-500 USD where I live.

I'm currently trying to find a good second hand production camera. Thinking of either getting a Red or Sony so thanks for the insight.

Sorry this is a bit off-topic but I'm looking for a pair of longer zooms to compliment my Nikon mount 11-16 and 18-35. I'm leaning toward tamron - how do yo like those Nikons? 

• Super Members

Im on it. Got the 17-35/2.8 with busted AF for a bit under $200.

Now I might have found a good 28-70. They are only $250-300 here in full working condition.

Mattias

Red One was a great camera ... upgraded from a Sony EX1r and loved the organic image ... moved up to the EPIC and was less pleased as 

it seemed a bit sterile. I know you will make it sing.

Only clip I have left ...

https://vimeo.com/123791417

Password : daysend

Enjoy it ... blast from the past.

Bob

Cool, will have a look on a "real" monitor tomorrow.

Optically I love 'em. I find them sharp wide open.

Too bad they're so old DXO doesn't have any reviews. Well, one of the Bourne films were shot on rehoused copies, so they must be good.

So I guess if you don't mind them being used (pretty sure they've been out of production for a long while,) they're great lenses.

My only two niggles are:

• I sometimes struggle with the 28-70mm to create shallow depth of field. I don't think it's a reasonable complaint, but it's how I feel. (The Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 has really spoiled me.)
  • The 80-200mm is a beast to rig and has a pretty long minimum focus distance: 5ft/1.5m.

You where getting ripped of, a mount for Yashica is €100 :)

But mine takes Nikon and need no more accessories. 

Regarding hard drive space, I love how little space it eats. Compared to the BMCC its a vegitarian :)

But I get your points. Its as always all down to personal situation, needs, preference, etc.

If we take the URSA.Its first of all much more expensive. Probably twice or three times the cost after all the accessories. 

A used URSA or URSA mini 4K body only is more than I payed for a fully rigged Red with media, EVF, Monitor, etc.

And if I rigg out an URSA I have a camera with very smilar specs. Both shoot Raw, bot have high fps Raw etc. Seize and weight.. yeah the URSA mini 4K might be a little lighter but its heavy enough for me not to exactly run around with it. And its lower DR etc.

But the the reason that made the final push is the Red codec. It is crazy nice to work with. Specially if you have Final Cut (which I very recently switched to).
You can use Resolve, Reds free grading software or simply import in Final Cut with access to Raw settings.
But what really sets it apart from the BMD Raw is that it flows. If I use 4.5K Raw (crazy) WITHOUT creating proxies or optimized media, its pretty much real time playback. On a base model 
Macbook.

You where getting ripped of, a mount for Yashica 100 can i see the link

I know i could have use all star universal mount 320 Canadian 430 plus CY mount another 180 all come to 700+tax shipping my point is it cost money and it wont make me any money at this point in my life and i don't have  money to burn. But like BMPCC any cam that shoots raw needs quite a lot of post workflow. So seeing instant results and judging them is quite complicated and requires skills in post production to verify you're doing well in the shooting department and if you don't have dedicated monitor like FSI to grade your shoots then i don't see a point of buying an such expensive camera just to learn i am talking about my self. I was told on red user that such cameras really shine when you have proper set design and cinematography lights ect. I was also told by a pro on that forum. I recently shot with bmpcc  and out of the box i was pleasantly surprised it shoots 10 bit, 4:2:2 in Prores HQ and also shoots RAW 12bit, which is prefect for you to play with the colour in post. it also got more dynamic range or at least the same as RED from what I saw, defiantly in RAW it's the same, but highlight rolloff is nicer on BMPCC.  

• Super Members

Awesome. That is one helluva deal for the image you'll get!! And not short of accessories is it ;) 

The codec is a good reason to go Red. It's very impressive.

How is low light?

Havent tested yet other than that match/slowmo clip wich looked alraight to me. Will go for a sunset test this week.

omg awesome mattias~!!!

your youtube channel is really rich in variety i must say; so refreshing, i love it

If I use 4.5K Raw (crazy) WITHOUT creating proxies or optimized media, its pretty much real time playback. On a base model Macbook.

thats great to hear!? as a mac user im super confused by this tho... is this with FCPX? is that what youd credit this performance to...? 

thanks to the users including yourself that have been praising the current incarnation of fcpx; i downloaded it and im gonna give it a try ?

• Super Members

all the storage media you have how long can you shoot?

Need to test that as well, let me get back to you.

omg awesome mattias~!!!

your youtube channel is really rich in variety i must say; so refreshing, i love it

thats great to hear!? as a mac user im super confused by this tho... is this with FCPX? is that what youd credit this performance to...? 

thanks to the users including yourself that have been praising the current incarnation of fcpx; i downloaded it and im gonna give it a try ?

oh yeah, FC is fast :)

https://youtu.be/4rp-Q7i2nEs