am I mad to be thinking about getting rx100 iv?

gethin

Especially when the g7 is 30% cheaper and currently comes with a free 25mm? (And I already have a speedbooster and nikon G adaptor)

And when the NX1 is only slightly more expensive.

Ho Hum.  I've got $1000 ish to spend. I shoot landscape and location stock footage and grabs of people in our area.  I guess I'm trying to persuade myself that the rx100 would shoot decent enough footage to use as stock and be small enough for me to take literally everywhere, when even my d5300 becomes a pain in the bum.

Is the stabilisation good enough to use it handheld - maybe at higher frame rates?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Rx100 m4 is a great camera, something you might not suspect from its small form factor. I think it would easily be good enough for stock footage and as it's very small and inconspicuous that helps with shooting in public spaces. It's a little noisy at high ISO compared to the A7S and A7Rii but that's too be expected. I use it often in 4k and have been very impressed.

The slow motion was why I bought it, and in good light it's fantastic up to 250fps. Really spectacular.

It's also small enough to stick in your pocket when you go out the door and not worry about the weight. 

The downside is that it's very small so I wouldn't like to spend hours using it as a main camera. But as something to whip out and grab some footage it's superb. Image stabilisation is good but as with all IS systems it's not a miracle worker.

The 5 minute 4K limit isnt an issue for stock footage so go for it. Having an RX100 means you can keep it with you all the time. You can often create a makeshift tripod from a wall, chair, table and bits. It is also light enough to use with those super cheap tripods- just make sure you get one with a non wobbly top- they can be used as disposable ones like if you get dirt in it. 

You will get more footage with the RX100 when you spot something stock worthy when not expecting it. Plus I found myself playing with all the settings a lot as I had it with me so much; so became much better at actually using it and making use of all the functions. Also no one bats an eyelid when using a RX100, just in case you are somewhere where pro cameras are not allowed.

I didn't have the IV but would expect the slow motion features to be a lot of fun for stuff like paint in water and explosions. There are two guys on Youtube worth seeking out who have a super slow mo camera who will give you some creative ideas for stock footage. I think Panasonic might be bringing out a direct competitor, so its probably worth looking into that first as Panasonics are better value.

thanks folks. Yes I saw the panasonic after posting this - I guess I'll hold off for a couple of days :) And your comments have made me feel better about dropiin gthe cash on it.  I've finally seen it reduced in a sale here in Aus, so unless that panasonic is out at CES i'll have one in my hands next week woot!

I love mine. I had an lx100 as well but the rx fits in the pocket a little better. You will need a bunch of extra batteries as it chews through them especially if you using the Hfr modes. 

Pretty cool stills as well and the panorama mode works pretty well but in that mode it's jpeg.