Best video setting A7RII - RX100

wolf33d

Hi, 

I got an RX100IV and an A7RII. 
I would like to match same settings on both cameras so it is easier when gradding.

I have been trying to find the best settings. Philipp Bloom seems to use Cine 2 and 4 with Pro color mode. Andrew SLOG2, and I have seen everything in between.
I did some test and I like SLOG from the A7RII but it is mini 1600ISO on the RX100 so too much. Plus I do not have ND filters on my A7R. 
I tried a setting that a guy recommend to match SLOG: Cine 4, Cine color mode and black level +15. It works okay. 

My goal is to be able to use some luts so starting from a flat profile.

What do you guys use, and who knows which mode on A7 is closest to the CINE D on GH4 ?

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Funny, threads like will starwars will be rubbish or not millions of answer. 

When a question like this is asked, no answer. 

Anyway I spent a full day testing today and here are my conclusions, if this helps other readers: 

I use Color Final for grading (as a lut importer for Impulz and for basic corrections) in FCPX as well as Filmconvert. For each test I did the best grade I could with Impulz lut and curves, and the best grade I could with Filmconvert. I also tried both at the same time and this is the best sometimes.

I did that for multiple shots:

• Standard
  • Autumn Leaves (use by brandon lee in his nice video) 
  • Different Cine settings
  • Slog 2

So Autumn leaves gives the best look out of the box, but is the worst when graded.

Cine 2 gamma with Cine color gives EXACTLY the same image as SLOG2 after luts and curves are applied, with less opacity for Cine 2 tunings of course (because it is less flat out of the camera. 

I am very pleased with the result.

The conclusion is:
Since Philipp Bloom uses Cine 2 with Cine Color with amazing results, since I confirmed myself I get the absolute same image color as SLOG2 after the tuning and since Cine2 is much easier to work with (no need to push exposure one stop, no need to have 800 iso minimum) my best settings are Cine 2 with Cinema color. On top, Filmconvert has a preset for Cine2 so it works perfectly. If I want to use an impulz slog2 lut it is as easy, I just lower the opacity compared to SLOG2 lut and voila.

Thanks for your input. Why do you prefer  Cine4 for daytime? 
My comparison between Cine2 and 4 shows me that they are very similar except Cine2 being more flat so giving a bit more freedom in the grading.

Also, Cine 2 being more flat it seems to me that it would be more prone to noise in the shadows compared to cine 4.

So I am interested in having your opinion.

Thanks for your input. Why do you prefer  Cine4 for daytime? 
My comparison between Cine2 and 4 shows me that they are very similar except Cine2 being more flat so giving a bit more freedom in the grading.

Also, Cine 2 being more flat it seems to me that it would be more prone to noise in the shadows compared to cine 4.

So I am interested in having your opinion.

I definitely did not do extensive testing. What I found is that Cine 4 gave me better highlights and Cine 2 better shadows. My impression is that they have pretty similar dynamic range just shifted in different directions. 

Cine2 is actually not more flat.

The only difference between Cine2 and Cine4 are the levels. Cine2 records 16-235, Cine4 records 0-255. Cine4 basically has a bit more gradations available, the problem with Cine4 is that editing software (like Premiere) will clip the highlights very easily. In Premiere you have to bring the superwhites back into 235 values for them to be visible, otherwise it will clip the highlights away. For example, using the procamp effect with 83 brightness will do that. Levels should also work.

Well if I have to bring highlight back to 235 in Premiere then why not use Cine2 directly? ;)

Jase: well DoF on the rx100 is good only at very small distance and max aperture. Otherwise it is shit. Lowlight is good for a small sensor. 

I would say if you need photo video buy a7Rii, if you need slow mo add an rx100. If you do video only then the A7S does the slowmo without need for the rx100 ans with better DoF (2.2 crop from FF).

The last Canon 1DX II rumor spec says 4k60fps and FHD120fps, to rule them all.
I would wait january as Sony will come with a99ii and canon with 1DX so we will see their strategy.

Overall I like the A7RII but I don't love it. I just don't have a good feeling with it. 

On 12/17/2015 at 11:41 AM, wolf33d said:

Well if I have to bring highlight back to 235 in Premiere then why not use Cine2 directly? ;)

Even if you don't highlights still look better with Cine4.

Slog is like combining the highlights of Cine4 with the shadows of Cine2 (a bit more actually). The problem is that it looks  Slog is using the 16-235 range (Correction: slog is using 0-255 and premiere correctly recognizes that whereas it does not for Cine4/Cine1). I might have to do a bit more testing on this because I don't have a clue why Sony would do that. It might explain the excessive banding. 

Anyways Cine2/Cine4 are great and for most shoots much better than Slog. 

Just did a non scientific test. 

As we can see Cine 2 as a clear advantage over Cine4 in term of DR (look at the writing near the light way more visible even though the shadows on the wall are less black).

Actually DR is similar with SLOG2 (image not attached but if u raise black levels of Cine2 you get similar shadows while having the writings well appearing) 

I don't see any better highlights for Cine4, I actually prefer the Cine2 ones.
Well this seems to match my "outdoor real" test of yesterday so Cine2 it is for me

Cine2:

cine2.png

Cine4:

cine4.png

SLOG

slog.png

I don't know how you pulled that off Wolf. Did you use the same profile and expose and only changed from Cine2/Cine4/Slog? 

Cause when I did this test (same profile, same exposure) here is what I got:

Cine2:

Cine2.thumb.PNG.91d02c5bfaf646b7d0742e61

Cine4:

Cine4.thumb.PNG.5c6595ab0babcd9049d0220d

Slog:

slog.thumb.PNG.453b16fc6310e4a61b836f9d8

And the Cine4 uncorrected (0-255 range clipped):

Cine4Uncorrected.thumb.PNG.215507b26d37d

You can see that the midtones are the same for Cine2 and Cine4. You can see it also in the YC waveform on the right. 

Yep I just changed Cine2/4/slog

Was it an A7rII as well ?

Interesting because our shadows look similar (better on cine2) but we get opposite highlight!

Edit: Well my bad. I reset the settings because the Cine 2 was on wide black gamma +7

I have similar result to you but then the Cine2 is just overexposed, so it is the same DR.

Interestingly, wide black gammut +7 gives even better highlight than cine4 as seen in my first test.

Yep I just changed Cine2/4/slog

Was it an A7rII as well ?

Interesting because our shadows look similar (better on cine2) but we get opposite highlight!

Yep with the A7rII. 

The only thing that I can think of is a combination of the knee and possibly your program clipping the Cine4 file. 

So I am using the parameters in the thread that I posted earlier. I have changed the knee to manual mode. That gave me better highlight rolloff. Give it a try. Also make sure you are not clipping the superwhites. But that shouldn't matter that much if you optimize the knee as my example shows. 

I have no other explanation of this! 

• 1 month later...