A7Rii owners : feedback please!

DPC

A7R ii owners, do you have overheating problems? How is battery life?

I do a lot of event and documentary work, long days filming things that can't be repeated. The A7Rii seemed like an obvious buy but I've read a lot about overheating problems and can't risk spending 3500 euros on kit that might let me down... 

All information welcome!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Personally, I hate the a7rii for documentary work and ended up selling it. Overheating will definitely occur in 4K, though the 1080p image is nice. Battery life is terrible, and you'll need several and will have to switch often. Beyond that, the menus, ergonomics, and usability of the camera are just a pain to deal with. If you can deal with all of that though, the image and features are certainly great. 

Thanks for your replies.

Thing is, if I'm going to spend that amount of money on a camera that is supposed to be able to shoot 4K internally, I would like it to be able to do 4K internally....

And if I'm going to need to add 700 euros of batteries to get me through an 11 hour day, this isn't going to work.

I am extremely happy with the a7rii. Never had it overheat. I prefer the ergonomics over dslrs and battery is good enough. But that is for casual shooting. 

If I was shooting 11hours/day I would choose a different camera. Overheating, batteries, ergonomics are going to be a big problem for that type of shoots. Not even a a7sii will be good enough, it's where a professional camera makes a big difference. 

A gh4 could do it but if you have many projects like that an fs5 might be even better. 

I've been (happily) using GH4s since they came out but had them stolen recently. At the moment I'm renting but wondering what to do next and how soon "next" should be. The more I investigate, the more I come to appreciate what a great compromise the GH4 is but I'm reluctant to re-buy a camera that's coming to the end of its life cycle.

Hi!

I'm also hovering over the a7rII. The main points for me are:

- Colour: To me eye, it looks a lot better than the a7s.

- IBIS

- FF 1080p Mode: 13ms rolling shutter, superb dynamic range in slog2, 50mb/s codec and good quality fulHD (acording to cinema5d ***URL not allowed***/sony-a7s-ii-vs-a7r-ii-test-which-one/). Not so good in low light though, but for that you can use:

- S35 4k Mode + Speedbooster: FF look, very good low light performance. The cons would be 100mb/s and slow rolling shutter, but I would use this mode not that often.

- Slow motion: 120fps in FF or S35 and not 2.2x like the a7sII. I know it is just 720p, but it still looks great to me.

- Image Clear: Seems not to care to people, but I have lots of c-mount s16 lenses that I can use thanks to this feature.

- External power: You can plug the camera via usb while using it.

There is not a lot of info about all this points, so yeah, it would be great to have some feedback from people who actually use the camera.

Thanks!

In general it's a great camera for small projects. I just wouldn't recommend it for heavy professional use as the OP is planning.  

- Image Clear: Seems not to care to people, but I have lots of c-mount s16 lenses that I can use thanks to this feature.

This is one of the least mentioned feature and I have found it to be extremely usefull.