Prototype Metabones Speed Booster equipped NEX 7 *VS* full frame (5D Mark III)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey Andrew, in the shot under the S-Bahn (or it might be the U-Bahn, in Berlin it can be confusing :-) where the overhead lights are illuminated and you mention infinity focus issues in the text, there is a bit of CA on the white lights (right side). I am curious how bad is it really...? Awaiting you review, many thanks.

According to the MB whitepaper*, the SB will increase image quality (measurable MTF) in the same way an extender reduces image quality. If accurate (in mass production- the math/physics makes sense), that means that not only is FF possible and -1 effective f-stop, but also higher IQ. I ordered the SB and and FS700 to test. If it works as advertised, the FS700+SB looks to be the most affordable/versatile pro camera right now (S35 and FF, very low light, multiple frame rates, super slomo, true 1080p pixels). C300 has better ergonomics and perhaps a more bulletproof internal codec, but has far less features and costs $16k.

* http://www.metabones.com/images/metabones/Speed%20Booster%20White%20Paper.pdf

I read somewhere else (maybe the other speed booster thread?) someone explaining about infinity focus issues with this type of adapter. 

hey man infinity is for buzz lightyear and neil armstrong.

eye shoots hardcore ggilf  80 years old plus old folk action same scripts as milf stuff but with beyond grey action.

dis adapter is gonna help me destroy and exploit plenty more toothless folks.

Hey Andrew - great news. Thanks for the update!!!

I have a nex 7, obviously some more tests are needed - but what do you suggest is worth investing in?

Leica R lenses

Alpha (does this adaptor allow Autofocus?)

or canon EF (same question)

I don't have any of the required lenses, but damn, this does sound amazing news for the NEX 7. I have sigma 19mm, some Canon FD's and a 40mm Leica summicron (which tends to have a bit of a glow effect on both my nex5 and nex7). Its sounds like it might be time to invest in some new lenses.

Imagine what happens if the nex hack happens this year plus the metabones speed booster? Huge news indeed.

Well Canon's main aim is to sell lenses.  Guess what?  Now all their full frame lenses are in demand again!  Wow!  :-P

Seriously I think this an awesome development.  And bodes much better for m43 users.  I'm very glad I have the GH2/3, and soon BMCC.  Now the whole world really is open - Full Frame DOF and any lens I want.  This is just amazing!

The Speed Booster is already up on Metabones for pre-order. 5 adapters for 2 camera platforms. No MFT yet. But the Swiss Alpa Lens is supported (there's only a 50mm available... wtf?). A beloved lens, but, a strange marketing strategy... truly a niche market!

Go here to check it out:

http://www.metabones.com/product/speed-booster

Screenshot Attached:

Download the white paper.  The MFT version is essentially built but still being worked on and they've announced a street date already (March I think, there's a similar discussion going on at personal view).  

In fact, the optics are reported to be even better performing with MFT than the current Sony version.