Searching the ultimate versatile microphone (Panasonic GH3)

Wit

Now I have my Panasonic GH3, I'm looking for the ultimate versatile microphone. (and found out I had to take a university degree in sound recording - getting though all the information available on the web  :P )

Good I nearly got through all the info about sound recording. So now I know there are different kinds of microphones with different pick up patterns for different situations and don't really know what to pick. Because as it happens I will be on the road and have to go as light weight as possible. So I need one mic for in- and outdoor, ambient and interview sounds. The Pana has a 3,5 mm plug. Also it would be handy if the battery would be AAA or AA. 

- Any suggestions?

- Or any experience with the Senheiser MKE 400?

- Is it very stupid to use a digital Recorder only, like such as the Tascam DL 100 or the zoom H4N  or even the zoom H1? I can lug those in directly and place them above the camera or lay them at my sound source and sinc later on. I'm still searching the exact pick patterns of these digital reorders but the zoom has adjustable mics of 90 degrees.

Thanxs for helping starting up!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

i have a tascam dr07mkII as an external digital recorder and a cheapo thrift store shotgun mic. i haven't really used much of either (i do mostly music videos) but the digital recorder can be a little time consuming, but the quality is good. especially if you can have it isolated from the camera. using pluraleyes, sound-sync is a breeze.

are you going to have time to setup your sound and camera? or is it going to be a lot of 'shooting from the hip' type of stuff? if it's the latter, i'd probably go with a shotgun-type mic that you could mount on your hotshoe. try to get one with a shock mount, so any camera movement doesn't get translated into sound in the microphone.

i sort of assumed as much, judging by your last video  ;)

shotgun mic is probably going to be easier; audio will be with the video track, you won't have to transfer the audio files from the microsd card on the recorder to your storage and it'll probably use up less batteries as well. have a safe trip, looking forward to seeing the video from it

i sort of assumed as much, judging by your last video  ;)

shotgun mic is probably going to be easier; audio will be with the video track, you won't have to transfer the audio files from the microsd card on the recorder to your storage and it'll probably use up less batteries as well. have a safe trip, looking forward to seeing the video from it

Thanxs @powderbanks but I can plug the recorder straight into the camera. With a recorder with adjustable mics I have also a broad pickup pattern. Not sure yet which setting I will buy though. Do you have any suggestion for a shotgun mic? 

I would advise to use a directional mic like a shotgun mic on the camera.

You would use this so not to pic up the sound of you operating the camera.

You could use an omni-directional mic to record more general sound off the camera.

You could use radio mics for interviews where you would attach a small mic to a shirt or lapel.

You could also use the shotgun mic for interviews if needed.

By using a cable to take it off the camera and place it near a person whose audio you wanted.

If you used the shotgun mic for an interview on one channel you could use the cameras built in mic on the other channel for the general audio.

You would be better off recording general audio using the mic on the camera or use a shotgun mic like a Rode mic AND another microphone to record other audio you want. Better to have different types of audio you can then 'mix' together. It gives you more control over what you want to do with the audio.

Say you were interviewing someone you would mix the audio you record of them talking with the general audio of the surroundings this makes more of a 'natural feeling' audio balance.

If you only used the audio from a very close mic like a small radio mic on their shirt it would sound like you were standing too close to them. It would make you feel uncomfortable. And the reverse, if you interviewed someone standing along way from a mic it would sound awful. They would be too quiet and other more general sounds would be too loud and distracting.

On more professional cameras you have 4 channels to record audio onto.

You would record different audio sources and then they would be 'mixed' together in the edit.

Could go on longer! Hope that helps a bit.

Thanxs Matt - you just summed up all the mics there are. I was hoping to bring it back to only one or two for on the road.  ;)

Do you have certain types (names) in your head?

Is the small camera senheiser mic any good? It appeals to me because it is fed by an aaa battery (we always take a aa/aaa recharger) and has long recording life. What xtra mic would you suggest for off camera?

http://www.outletwebstore.nl/electronica/digitale-camera-digitale-fotolijst/sennheiser-mke-400-cameramicrofoon?utm_source=google-shopping&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=products&gclid=COrp-vy-67QCFW7HtAodYxsAKw

Blanche,

wow, i just happened to see your Moroco video on vimeo yesterday! ( i was browsing for stuff shot on gh3) it looked great!

I think getting the mke-400 and a Zoom h1 could be a great audio setup. Dan Chung at DSLR News Shooter and many of his collegues love that recorder.

Add an Audio Technica AT803B Lavalier mic with XLR to 3.5mm adapter and you have a VERY versatile and compact audio setup. Also very cheap - just in case it happens to get lost or stolen.

Thanxs ZAZ! I'm nearly there! Going for a mke-400 for doing interviews and a recorder + for ambience and lavaliere tracks.  

But I'm not sure if I'm  going for the compact and cheaper ones like Zoom H1 or Tascam DR-08. Or the bigger and more expensive ones like the Tascam DR-40 or Zoom  H4n. And I'm also checking out these laveliers like the he Audio Technica ATR 3350 or Olympus ME-15 dasspeld microfoon voor DS2300/2, WS-300/310/320m. Some more checking up to do this weekend.

Hi Blanche,

i'm liking your travelogue videos and thought i'd offer a different perspective on the acquisition of audio.

A camera mounted directional mic will give you some 'reach' to a subject you want to hear if it's directly in line with the mic but it will also 'suck' in sounds from things behind the subject that you may not want to hear (this is the reason why when directional (cardioid / hyper-cardioid / 'shotgun' / interference tube) mics are used for recording speech for film and video they are best used by another operator on a boom with the mic pointing downwards and following the direction of the mouth. If you are filming outdoors (which you are) you will also need to consider protecting the mic/sound from wind noise (and i don't mean the hefty base cut available on some mics and cameras), this will mean putting the mic  in a furry windjammer and in more exposed places, a more effective wind shield (http://www.rycote.com/). This is all getting very bulky for cycle touring.

As an alternative i suggest using a set of binaural microphones (http://www.soundman.de/en). They will give you a nice stereo atmos/ambiance tracks when placed in your ears but they can also be used as personal/lavalier mics for interviews etc. They are small and light, as wound be any wind protection you decide carry with you as well.

dan.

Using a recorder with xlr and phantom power would give you a wider rang of lav mikes to choose from, and a way to use a proper boom in the future if you decide you want to. But ronjbase is also right, the riggy micro is a great tool - worth looking at.

@Zaz and  @Ronjbase Thanxs guys will look into your suggestions this weekend.

I will have a shoot at home situation where I can carry more stuff and one for the road. So my decision is a bit dual. Nobody any thoughts on the Senheiser mke-400? If that works it would be the tool for on the road. And I'm already pretty used shooting my audio close to the subjects and then shooting adjusting B-roll to go with it. It's the way you have to work as a one woman crew.

As an alternative i suggest using a set of binaural microphones (http://www.soundman.de/en). They will give you a nice stereo atmos/ambiance tracks when placed in your ears but they can also be used as personal/lavalier mics for interviews etc. They are small and light, as wound be any wind protection you decide carry with you as well.

dan.

@Dan - I never heard of these. Thanxs I will check them.

• 1 month later...

Apparently, the Rode Video Mic is slightly better than the Senheiser MKE 400. Also, since the Optika and Rode Video Mic, are, apparently, the SAME mic, with a noticeable price difference, I guess, the Optika would have been a great choice. The Senheiser, has better, built quality, though.

The Opteka costs $80, whereas, the Senheiser costs $200. 

These are the links for the reviews. 

http://cheesycam.com/cheap-dslr-shotgun-microphone/

http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/studio-microphones/rode-videomic/

http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/studio-microphones/sennheiser-mke-400/

I'm currently flogging my H4n as I tend hire higher end stuff on budgeted shoots

It'staken a few knocks but works great, they're invulnerable!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200904328818?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Open to offers to end this auction, or feel free to bid if you want to. It shouldn't go tto high because the crack looks ugly.

Funny of course, because it's no different in function to a new one, but you know what people are like... turn up to a professional shoot and everything is a bit worn out because it actually gets used. Hang around with hobbyists and it all looks like it's come out of a packet a minute ago... it's a funny old world... ;) whatever you buy, wear it out from use... it's so sad that so much gear wastes away...

JG