Beholder DS1 Thoughts

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So here is the long and short of it. The Beholder DS1 is heavy. It can get some very smooth shots, but you will be challenged to keep the shot on target for more than a very short while due to the weight. Additionally, I noticed something unexpected, certain movements can cause the unit to freak out. This results in a type of fast micro-jitters, that will appear as jerky image artifacting. 

I wanted this unit to work smoothly. I do not know if this behavior is normal or if the unit is defective. But I can tell you normal handheld seems more pleasing to my eyes, despite being less smooth. Normal handheld just seems more organic. 

So here is the long and short of it. The Beholder DS1 is heavy. It can get some very smooth shots, but you will be challenged to keep the shot on target for more than a very short while due to the weight. Additionally, I noticed something unexpected, certain movements can cause the unit to freak out. This results in a type of fast micro-jitters, that will appear as jerky image artifacting. 

I wanted this unit to work smoothly. I do not know if this behavior is normal or if the unit is defective. But I can tell you normal handheld seems more pleasing to my eyes, despite being less smooth. Normal handheld just seems more organic. 

any chance to compare with a light(er) camera?

What are the movements that make it freak out? Have you posted to their Facebook page with your observations? I'd also like to know if you got a defective unit or if that's normal.

What are the movements that make it freak out? Have you posted to their Facebook page with your observations? I'd also like to know if you got a defective unit or if that's normal.

Panning seems to do it. Worst still, when this happens it makes the footage useless. Don't get me wrong, when it's smooth, it's very smooth. But it just seems hard to get shot of more than a few seconds before it all goes to pot.

Panning seems to do it. Worst still, when this happens it makes the footage useless. Don't get me wrong, when it's smooth, it's very smooth. But it just seems hard to get shot of more than a few seconds before it all goes to pot.

That sounds like it's defective or needs to be calibrated. That's a drag for you no matter what the cause though.

I use mine with the rx1004 (using a Kirk to Arca QR to add weight). It balances perfectly. And it functions as it should - you can't adjust the pan speed or anything but that's not an issue if you predict movement. But my unit also has moments when it goes beserk - vibrates furiously and needs to be switched off. Hideous when it happens. Possibly caused by moving the handle off vertical too much? Unfortunately cannot be used inverted (I wanted close to ground shots).

Tim

I'm  flying a samsung nx1, with S lens. The camera by itself is heavy,  with gimbal very heavy.  For one handed use unpleasant.

I can imagine yes.. I think with a small camera (LX100, RX100 etc) you might have a different experience both with the functionality and practicality but havent tried myself so cant say for sure

I use mine with the rx1004 (using a Kirk to Arca QR to add weight). It balances perfectly. And it functions as it should - you can't adjust the pan speed or anything but that's not an issue if you predict movement. But my unit also has moments when it goes beserk - vibrates furiously and needs to be switched off. Hideous when it happens. Possibly caused by moving the handle off vertical too much? Unfortunately cannot be used inverted (I wanted close to ground shots).

Tim

I'm pretty sure I read or saw in a review video that the DS-1 does have an inverted mode. Of course I couldn't find what I was thinking of, but I did find a pic of someone using it in inverted mode on the owldolly website:

http://www.owldolly.com/blogs/news/81089028-ds1-and-ms1-stock-update-sony-a7sii-with-ds1-review-video

Maybe shoot them an email asking how.