D810 Video Dynamic Range

bowielow

I've had very mixed information about what the actual D810 video dynamic range is because many say that in video mode, the D810 isn't producing the 14 somewhat stops of dynamic range that we are promised in stills. The D810 has a monster of a sensor let's not take that away from it, but is the video actually good enough? The A7S II was released recently and SLOG3 promises around 14 stops of dynamic range, whether that is true or false will probably be revealed in the near future but Nikon has been relatively silent about the numbers. Through observation, it's evident that SLOG3 is way flatter than the D810's flat picture profile, I would even go so far as to say that it's flatter than third-party profiles such as flaat_11, flaat_12 or cineflat. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put down the D810, it is and always will be my favourite camera, but I'm not sure if I want to use it for video. What does the A7S II has for video that the D810 doesn't? And what is the real video dynamic range of the D810, considering line skipping etc. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs