NX1 Transcoder Question.

DBounce

Recently I acquired an Samsung NX1 and have been testing it to see how it compares to the Sony A7R that I have. The A7R is clearly the superior stills camera. The full frame sensor makes creating beautifully blurred background a breeze. The NX1 seems to even things up in the video department. To that end I am looking for a transcoder, so that I can edit some of the footage in Adobe Premiere. I will be doing the editing on a Window machine. I downloaded a few of the popular transcoders (Rocky Mountain and FFmpeg, but the former was in Chinese, and the later did not run. 

Does anyone have a link to something that actually works? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I used the RockyMountain (in english) to convert the xavcs to prores HQ but I was not happy with the result. Too much banding. See here:

I am not sure if it has the same problem with h265 footage. Pretty soon adobe will release an update with support for that codec so you can use media encoder to transcode to cineform. 

I used the RockyMountain (in english) to convert the xavcs to prores HQ but I was not happy with the result. Too much banding. See here:

I am not sure if it has the same problem with h265 footage. Pretty soon adobe will release an update with support for that codec so you can use media encoder to transcode to cineform. 

Do you have a link to the English version. All I could find was Chinese?

Dbounce: if you use a7R with the 55/1.8 and the nx1 with 16-50S lens, then yes, there is of course quite a difference in bokeh. But if you use the 24-70 f4 on A7R and the 85/1.4 on NX1 the situation is exactly inverted. Of course FF will have always 1 stop advantage for bokeh in equivalent FL, but the lens will also be quite a bit bigger and heavier.

As to transcoding options, there is new Rocky Mountain 2 out. But I'm looking fwd to h.265 support from Adobe.

Dbounce: if you use a7R with the 55/1.8 and the nx1 with 16-50S lens, then yes, there is of course quite a difference in bokeh. But if you use the 24-70 f4 on A7R and the 85/1.4 on NX1 the situation is exactly inverted. Of course FF will have always 1 stop advantage for bokeh in equivalent FL, but the lens will also be quite a bit bigger and heavier.

As to transcoding options, there is new Rocky Mountain 2 out. But I'm looking fwd to h.265 support from Adobe.

You are of course correct. So to that point what fast lenses would you recommend?

PS: I also am looking forward to native h.265 support from Adobe.

Thanks, got it churring away as I type this.

Unfortunately NX system is lacking fast lenses in the fl of 35mm and 50mm equivalents. I've been desiring a 24/1.4 and a 35/1.4 since the beginning of NX. But...nothing.

So my advice, for a shallow dof and AF, are the 45/1.8 and the 85/1.4. The former is just...magic. Small, very fast AF, ultra cheap, 9 blades and gorgeous bokeh. The latter is, IMO, the best lens for NX along with the 50-150S. Speaking of which, is also a great lens for portraits at 150/2.8.

Unfortunately NX system is lacking fast lenses in the fl of 35mm and 50mm equivalents. I've been desiring a 24/1.4 and a 35/1.4 since the beginning of NX. But...nothing.

So my advice, for a shallow dof and AF, are the 45/1.8 and the 85/1.4. The former is just...magic. Small, very fast AF, ultra cheap, 9 blades and gorgeous bokeh. The latter is, IMO, the best lens for NX along with the 50-150S. Speaking of which, is also a great lens for portraits at 150/2.8.

Think I'll try the 24mm Bower lens.

Rocky Mountain (Korean) is just a front-end for FFmpeg.

I use Wondershare Video Converter on a Mac (they make a windows version too) and it's way better than Samsung's converter or Rocky Mountain. It has much better color, detail, way more options, and an efficient workflow. It's $50, but what is the quality of your files and your time worth?

I'll be curious to see if there is any difference in final output quality between Wondershare and Premiere once it supports H.265.

I'm using Pro DAD Mercalli V4 to convert (and stabilize) 0-256 color space NX1 H265 footage . Currently $99 with this coupon code MV4-99 for Cyber Monday ends to day (the 30 of Nov at www.prodrenalin.com) it's normally $299.  (I have no affiliation with Pro DAD...)

I am waiting for Adobe to come out with native support as well.  If edit H265 in Premier how do I color correct in Resolve 12? Normally convert to ProRes and then edit and CC in Resolve.