EM5 MK2 firmware update

DPC

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Has anyone else updated their Olympus EM5 MK2 firmware?

With the flat profile, the video seems much better to me and I wondered what others think...

I returned mine too so it would be great if you could tell us what seems better with the new firmware. 

Do you thik you can post a deep dof example?

In my personal experience the em5ii hold much better than em1 when grading but resolution and aliasing was pretty much the same.  

I've installed but have not had a chane to play yet. It does not look very flat and looks similar to the custom profile I use on the camera. 

And still no dial manual control whilst filming! 

With all its short comings I enjoy using the camera and was hoping the firmware might have pushed it further into the keep coloum. 

• Administrators

Got a E-M5 II in the house to try it out.

Indeed the flat picture profile is the world's least flat picture profile. More like a highlight tone priority mode. It does give you a tiny tiny bit more dynamic range to play with. Tiny.

Otherwise image seems the same as before, it still has the moire.

I've also installed V4 on the E-M1.... Why that cannot have a flat picture profile is a mystery but at least it has 24p and 25p now, only 2 years too late :)

They are nice stills cameras though and the stabilisation is magnificent.

[..]

I've also installed V4 on the E-M1.... Why that cannot have a flat picture profile is a mystery but at least it has 24p and 25p now, only 2 years too late :)

They are nice stills cameras though and the stabilisation is magnificent.

It probably can. Just... they needed to separate it somehow from the cinema-quality movies pro-level serious movies machine that is the E-M5II.

But since it's thanksgiving and all, I'll just be thankful already for the 24/25p. Hallelujah!

Cinema quality.

Hahahahahahahahaha

Yeah. I'm so glad you did such an honest review back then... ended up cancelling my pre-order. Still have the E-M1 though, which I've been using lots for stills, just not so much video. Maybe I'll kick its use for that up a notch now.

I kinda want to go on with something APS-C sized from here though... and as I don't like the handling of the D5300 that much, it's going to have to be somethng mirrorless. Seriously thinking about the NX1 now. I would probably rather get the next Axxx by Sony, but I think they're going to downplay mirrorless APS-C cameras, especially on video level and make you purchase something fullframe to get the nifty schtuff, so although it seems like 'abandon ship!' for the NX1, with prices dropping, it might actually be the option that makes most sense. Doesn't hurt that you rate the stabilization of the NX1 w/ 16-50mm f/2-2.8 up there with the E-Ms, which is a key selling point for the Olympus system that separates it from Panasonic, even though sticking at 1080p.

Doesn't hurt that you rate the stabilization of the NX1 w/ 16-50mm f/2-2.8 up there with the E-Ms, which is a key selling point for the Olympus system that separates it from Panasonic, even though sticking at 1080p.

It is definitely a compromise - detailed but jittery images using the Panasonic 35-100/2.8 on my new G7, but rock solid and slightly "fuzzy" shots with the same lens and the IBIS on the E-M5II.

A quick shot from this morning's school run.  Grey, rainy day - 25fps, 1/50, f3.5 with Olympus 17.5/1.8.

Dropbox - original file

Actually - today's discovery - you can have dial control while filming. Just press the OK button first. 

For stills, at least, the EM5 MK2 is a lovely camera. I use it more and more on jobs. Makes my 5D MK III feel quaint.

I still get the menu that pops up on the right of the screen and my dials don't operate shutter or aperture directly as they do before starting to record?

It is definitely a compromise - detailed but jittery images using the Panasonic 35-100/2.8 on my new G7, but rock solid and slightly "fuzzy" shots with the same lens and the IBIS on the E-M5II.

Yeah, I was hoping for the E-M5II to be more like Panasonic when it comes to video, unfortunately this was not the case. The other way around I was hoping the GX8 to finally offer sensor stabilization during video recording and have a flippy tilty screenie like the E-M5II... but nope (on that first one)... doesn't give you the best of everything either. Maybe they'll spice things up with the GH5... but that will be atleast half a year away I'd say. In meanwhile you might want to question Sony's rapid firing of new products, but they continue with in-body stabilization ánd 4K, high frame rates, proper LOG footage, stellar lowlight performance, and so on, where the others don't offer much of anything. Like Andrew said though, the E-M5II body in itself is something I could really see myself with. It's nice 'n compact, great screen, dials and buttons are nice and so on. I mean, I don't neccessarily need the fullframe sensor (that would bloat things up a bit), but I would like some improved lowlight performance and trickled down features from the likes of the A7RII, A7SII, RX10M2 and RX100IV. For me APS-C would be totally fine. As much as they're pushing fullframe, APS-C mirrorless is so attractive, that they must be afraid it will cripple fullframe sales, where the money is at. I guess the only one really stirring things up in that area would be the NX1. It's not perfect, but it's close to what I'd like to see a camera be about. Surely Sony could do something like it. Or Nikon, if they decided to enter the mirrorless market with a bigger sensor than the 1-series.

• Administrators

One thing the E-M5 II is great for is AF with Canon lenses. Veeeery fast through the latest Speed Booster XL T.

And you get an image circle for stills approaching 1.3x APS-H with that.

So I am enjoying it as a stills camera but I think it might have to go back due to that lack of proper flat picture profile, it isn't as advertised and the non-improvement in video quality / moire.