Not just vinyl for hipsters! The return of Ultra Panavision 70! Film is back with a vengeance and Tarantino has a behind the scenes look for us

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Actually, I simply don't understand what a "hipster" is. Although it might have a definition it's simply an insult given by conservative people to non-traditional people. The normal is to cut you hair, if you leave it all, you're a hipster.

No that's a "hippy", 1970's style.

A lot of people misunderstand that term these days, it seems to have mutated.

Some even use it as a compliment.

Let's be clear on this...hipsters should be held in distain all across the world.

The definition:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...

Seems a few wrinkles have developed in the opportunity to view/show the film "Hateful Eight" in 70mm at a Cinerama Dome location in LA. It seems Disney wants Star Wars to be shown instead, during the holiday season....

Quentin Tarantino slams Disney over 'Star Wars' 'extortion' on 'Howard Stern'

lmao omg. funny but also sad. howard said he'd fix it i guess we'll see... ?

poor star wars doesnt have enough screens smh

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who has been to the "Road Show" and viewed this film in the full 70mm glory - was it worth it?  I am a pretty big fan of Quentin's movies - I can see this locally on a regular screen but the only true 70mm screening is a couple hours away near Cleveland.

My wife and kids are at her parents this week - am I nuts for thinking about driving up and seeing it?

Love to hear some feedback from the folks on this forum.

Shawn

I went to the road show and the kids couldn't get the damn film version to play so they showed the digital version and didn't tell anyone till after. You could tell though. I was pissed

Refund!  Aside from that, when I went the projector ran fine.  And it was fun to hear the film spooling, see the scratches, watch the image registration drift through the gate.  The narrative didn't work though.  Not an exceptional film regardless how it was shot.  Appealing to my inner-tech-geek, (hey!  They used the same lens as Ben Hur!) but otherwise nothing too remarkable as a movie...not on the a-list level anyway.  The director is too indulgent with his style and it was more weary than vibrant on this go 'round.

Liked watching Russell do his "Jack Burton meets John Wayne" character though.

I think it is a great author movie, not for Western fans like myself, in fact I am sure that 90% of the groupies last night never watched a classic of the genre ; but it is pretty funny (Samuel L. Jackson speaking in slow motion was hilarious) with a lot of references from Leone to Wes Craven. And the screening was just beautiful.

Yeah I just saw it, great as a film, probably better than Django Unchained. Was a great experience with the film projection, full edit as opposed to later releases, playbills, intermission. He's said in interviews it was kind of a joke to do it in 70mm since it's a simple film really, small scale, and vulgar. It'll be different from every time I see it from now on.. which was the point I guess, making the theatre experience important and justifying film. But a bummer since I can't buy the 70mm reels and projector etc. Anyway, I'd say homerun

maybe a stupid question but would it be possible to use a 2x anamorphic on a 16:9 sensor to squeeze all that detail into an image and project it later as if it was shot on 65mm film ? I ask because I know today's sensors are high resolving and anamorphic lenses were once used to get widescreen out of 4:3 film.

shooting magic lantern on the 5dmk3 with sharp and fast primes and using the greatest sensor height you can (ideally the full 24mm height), alongside 2x anamorphics for a 2.75;1 delivery is about as close as you gonna get.  however you'll not be able to match the out and out field of view since most projection anamorphics are not designed for wide angle use.  

at the moment the closest thing you gonna get to the look of ultra panavision 70 is an a7sii in full frame 4k mode with a iscorama 54 and a fast 45mm taking lens.  this will get you pretty darn wide and with a 2.66:1 ratio and less pronounced oval defocus, as well as fine grain from the 4k low noise sensor.    

shooting magic lantern on the 5dmk3 with sharp and fast primes and using the greatest sensor height you can (ideally the full 24mm height), alongside 2x anamorphics for a 2.75;1 delivery is about as close as you gonna get.  however you'll not be able to match the out and out field of view since most projection anamorphics are not designed for wide angle use.  

at the moment the closest thing you gonna get to the look of ultra panavision 70 is an a7sii in full frame 4k mode with a iscorama 54 and a fast 45mm taking lens.  this will get you pretty darn wide and with a 2.66:1 ratio and less pronounced oval defocus, as well as fine grain from the 4k low noise sensor.    

gotcha ! Looks like I'm gonna have to grab an a7sii to compliment my NX1 afterall !

I am really really waiting on those PL Mount SLR Magic Anamorphot lenses. Seems like they are taking forever but I want to try out a 2x anamorphic on a 16:9 sensor to get as panoramic of an image as possible...in 4k of course ;)