Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ideal settings for GH3? (color grading and a first example)

81 posts in this topic

Posted

there is a serious possibility  to have more  alias - moire problems if you have sharpness above 0 .

I always put -1 to -5 with Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100, they are very sharp.

If you have manual lenses , you can have it to 0.

Posted

there is a serious possibility  to have more  alias - moire problems if you have sharpness above 0 .

I always put -1 to -5 with Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100, they are very sharp.

If you have manual lenses , you can have it to 0.

Thanxs but my question was really not about why I should turn down the dials in my camera but how far I should dial them back up in post. I guess I just have to experiment - already did the Lynda.com tutorials on vector scopes etc. etc but no clue if I have any feeling for it.

Posted

Here is the video I shot with the turned down settings as suggested in this thread.

I used MOV All-I, 24 p - 50 Mbps, modus A, Contrast -5, Sharpness -5, Color -3 and Noise reduction -4.

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/2303-gh3-panasonic-12-35-mm-f-28-miontas/

Took my first steps in color grading world as well.  Didn't correct all the colors of the footage but I did sharpen a few. That is when sharpen means altering the exposure using  video scopes and Luma? - Should I always resharpen my footage using above settings? Or should you try to do this as good as possible in camera? I used color altering mainly in the first two shots because they were to yellow. Now they are much darker and the blue/purple look gives that evening feeling. 

https://vimeo.com/62002382

Posted

Here is the video I shot with the turned down settings as suggested in this thread.

I used MOV All-I, 24 p - 50 Mbps, modus A, Contrast -5, Sharpness -5, Color -3 and Noise reduction -4.

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/2303-gh3-panasonic-12-35-mm-f-28-miontas/

Took my first steps in color grading world as well.  Didn't correct all the colors of the footage but I did sharpen a few. That is when sharpen means altering the exposure using  video scopes and Luma? - Should I always resharpen my footage using above settings? Or should you try to do this as good as possible in camera? I used color altering mainly in the first two shots because they were to yellow. Now they are much darker and the blue/purple look gives that evening feeling. 

This is a great video!  Nice pacing, music matches very well, and the story is short but concise.  I don't think you really need to sharpen the footage.  In fact with the "noise" grain and a little softer edges, the footage looks very good, it doesn't look "video".  I think really sharp edges can be too clinical.  For something like this piece, sure the closeups (bag, sewing machine) should be sharp, but face closeups, wide shots can be softer.  Overall I think you did a really great job!

Posted

Hi all,

I am confused about the 50mbps / 72mbps date rate that the GH3 supposedly records at.

My footage, recorded as H264 MOV files in either of these high bit rates, is listed in FCP as between 5.8mbps and 8.5mbps. Analysing the footage with cinema tools reveals the same data rate - not the 50 / 72 it should be.

If I convert the files to ProRes I get the higher data rates - around 30 - 60mbps. Although this is closer, and sometimes in excess of the data rate I want, am I not merely up-resing the footage? The new date rate might be higher, but if it is not what the camera recorded, the information isn't t there.

I am also confused about the colour management. My h264 footage has a colour profile of 1-1-1. Is that the best I can get? I read somewhere that the GH3 will record 2-4-1. How do I set that?

Again up-resing to prores 422 or 444 will not introduce colours that are not recorded in the first place!

I look forward to hearing people's thoughts.

Jules

Posted

buy Andrew Reeds new GH3 shooters guide and all will be revealed on how to set up your camera correctly

see link at top of this forum