Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

14 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

The NX1 is the gift that keeps on giving man. Im really considering getting the 16-50s to get the most out of the cam... and let that be my personal kit. 

Anyway this was shot with a contax zeiss 45mm f2.8 and a tiffen ultra contrast filter

IMG_6681.PNG

Yeah. Normal gamma uses the picture profile you have selected for stills

Man KIDZ....
Your sense of style just gets better and better.

I haven;t been around here much lately because my NX1 is just WORKIN'. Ya know what I mean?
I put in Andrew's whole LUG-LUT settings and post routine, and it's just been GREAT. So nothing to report.

But RICARDO...
Boom! You've really tapped into an interesting recipe here.
I've put in your settings and shot a few things and I agree - very nice.
A different feel than the EOS Log-LUT thing, but I like them both. Once I've shot a bit more with Ricardo's set and got to know it better - then I'll have two distinct looks out of the NX1.

I think the NX1 screams with the Sigma ART lenses, but boy I'd still love to have that 16-50S lens to really finish the deal.
And I was RIGHT! Back when the camera got knocked out of production, I KNEW the prices for those "S" lenses were not going to come down....
Oh well...at least you DO get what you pay for with them.

~Cheers all!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@DPStewart thanks bro ! And you are right, the sigma lenses like the 18-35 look really good on the NX1...its one of the best piece of optics out in general. That 16-50s has a look of its own though and its just as sharp from what I seen. Honestly @200mbps with OIS & great autofocus I dont think I'll need another cam till 10bit 422 internal becomes common in prosumer bodies

23 hours ago, DPStewart said:

Man KIDZ....
Your sense of style just gets better and better.

I haven;t been around here much lately because my NX1 is just WORKIN'. Ya know what I mean?
I put in Andrew's whole LUG-LUT settings and post routine, and it's just been GREAT. So nothing to report.

But RICARDO...
Boom! You've really tapped into an interesting recipe here.
I've put in your settings and shot a few things and I agree - very nice.
A different feel than the EOS Log-LUT thing, but I like them both. Once I've shot a bit more with Ricardo's set and got to know it better - then I'll have two distinct looks out of the NX1.

I think the NX1 screams with the Sigma ART lenses, but boy I'd still love to have that 16-50S lens to really finish the deal.
And I was RIGHT! Back when the camera got knocked out of production, I KNEW the prices for those "S" lenses were not going to come down....
Oh well...at least you DO get what you pay for with them.

~Cheers all!

Im currently testing some new settings to get different types of look, will share later :)

I think this camera shines when you put the 16-50S on it, I've had the 18-35mm Sigma and I dont think its as good as the Samsung lens. I do love the 35mm f1.4 though.

Great work here guys!

If you guys are after the 16-50s, I just wanted to point out that it looks like samsungparts still has some of them.

If you guys remember that dpreview thread with all the lenses being available for cheap from the samsung parts site, some of those deals are still available.

The 16-50s is $800 new. There is no lens hood included, though it can be ordered separately for like $16 if i remember.

This is how I got my 16-50 when this was first brought to light.

Here's the link if anyone wants it

http://www.samsungparts.com/Products/Parts_and_Accessories/PID-AD97-23876A.aspx

Seemingly sketchy site, but I've bought multiple lenses from them and have had good experiences.

On 9/22/2016 at 9:42 AM, cojocaru27 said:

Normal gamma, and mostly Ricadro's settings. Enjoy :

I will have to give Ricardo's setting a try when I get some free time.

One more question @cojocaru27, was this shot with the bitrate hack?

3 hours ago, homestar_kevin said:

Great work here guys!

If you guys are after the 16-50s, I just wanted to point out that it looks like samsungparts still has some of them.

If you guys remember that dpreview thread with all the lenses being available for cheap from the samsung parts site, some of those deals are still available.

The 16-50s is $800 new. There is no lens hood included, though it can be ordered separately for like $16 if i remember.

This is how I got my 16-50 when this was first brought to light.

Here's the link if anyone wants it

http://www.samsungparts.com/Products/Parts_and_Accessories/PID-AD97-23876A.aspx

Seemingly sketchy site, but I've bought multiple lenses from them and have had good experiences.

Do they have any 50-150S lens? and how much

This was from a recent trip to Scotland and Iceland.

NX1 with vasile's hack. 160mbps for 4k 25p and 1080p 25p/50p/100p. 4k downscaled to 1080p during Rocky Mountains conversion to ProRes HQ.

Rokinon 12mm f2, Canon FD 24mm f2, Canon FD 50mm f1.4

Gamma C with sharpness -10, all other settings default. 16-235 color space. Actually, Master Pedestal may have been +15, can't remember

OSIRIS M31 Rec709 LUT at 50%-75% depending on the clip. No Sharpness added in post.

Rendered as a 2048 X 1080 ProRes LT file.

Scotland.Iceland.jpg

Screengrab from 2048 x 1080p timeline, upscaled to 4096 X 2160 in Mac Preview app just to see how it held up to the upscale. Looks pretty good on my 1080p monitor. Anyone have a 4k monitor?

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, timmyturntable said:

Finally got a chance to take the camera out and about over the weekend.  Here is our latest movie from a visit to the Pumpkin Patch.

Same in camera settings as last time:  Gamma DR,  Color Red/Blue @ 1.0 and Green @ .95, Saturation -1, Sharpness -10, Contrast -3, Master Black 10, Luminance 16-235

Nice, Blue and Pumpkin! Do you upload HEVC files to Vimeo? Can you try transcoding the HEVC file in RMMC with the teal-orange LUT n°8700 applied?

https://j.mp/freeluts

I've been doing some work recently that requires very accurate colors, so I wasted a few hours cycling through all of the setting in my NX1 and a Xrite Color Checker Passport. I tested all Gamma Control (color, saturation, sharpness, contrast, hue), Picture Wizard Options, Black Level, and Luminance Levels. These were tested in Daylight, Under 90+ CRI LED lights, in ISO 100-800. Fortunately the same settings worked best across ISOs and color temps.

My approach to testing was to record a clip with each variation of setting with the same white balance (using the gray card of the color checker) and then use the Color Match option in Resolve (Source Gamma sRGB, Target Gamma Rec.709, Target Color Space Rec.709, Color Temp 6500, White Level 0.9 Checked) then total the variation in percentage of color accuracy. One weird discovery was that sharpness at 0 had worse color accuracy than at -10 sharpness in Gamma Control settings.

These are the settings I was able to achieve the most accurate colors with:

Luminance Level 0-255
Master Black Level -5
Gamma DR {
Color - 1.00Red, 0.95 Green, 1.00 Blue
Saturation: -3
Sharpness: -10
Contrast: -3
Hue: 0}

nx1-settings.PNG

This does result in a overall flat look that I would then grade or apply a Rec.709 LUT to.

1 hour ago, arourke said:

I've been doing some work recently that requires very accurate colors, so I wasted a few hours cycling through all of the setting in my NX1 and a Xrite Color Checker Passport

What lens did you use? Can you post an imgae of the S-Curve?