Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, /Chop N Shoot Films/ said:

What profile are you using now in filmconvert?

I've had good luck lately with RED's gamma profiles, they seem to match up pretty good with the NX1... but it'll be interesting to see how much 'better' colors and things look once we get our hands on the actual official filmconvert NX1 profile. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a project I shot at the gliderport near San Diego with my NX1. 50-200mm Samsung lens, shooting handheld at 120 fps @ 1920. Normal Gamma.  When I'm not going to grade in post, I set the settings as follows:

In the still photo menu/Picture Wizard/Standard RED 1.00, G 0.96, R 1.00, Sat 0, Sharpness -10, Contrast 0, Hue 0.

(Sorry about the tiny lint in the upper frame.)  I noticed the NX1 did have a little shift in luminance when shooting right into the sun, but the overall sharpness (all was on AutoFocus) was very pleasing.  I had a polarizer on the lens.

I'd like to form meetup in the Los Angeles area to share results and settings. Let me know if anyone's interested.

2 hours ago, Parker said:

Ricardo is always posting such gorgeous framegrabs in this thread, so I wanted to give his settings a try for myself on my latest project... I'm really liking the way these are looking. (Graded with DeLuts and filmconvert) 

flowers.jpg

lace.jpg

Orchard Kiss.jpg

silouhette kiss.jpg

Sun shot.jpg

Gorgeous! What are Ricardo's settings?

14 hours ago, Parker said:

Ricardo is always posting such gorgeous framegrabs in this thread, so I wanted to give his settings a try for myself on my latest project... I'm really liking the way these are looking. (Graded with DeLuts and filmconvert) 

flowers.jpg

lace.jpg

Orchard Kiss.jpg

silouhette kiss.jpg

Sun shot.jpg

Wow!

Stunning grade :D Im really happy I see people trying out the settings I posted and getting great results! What settings were you using with filmconvert?

I've been trying out some new grades that will share sometime this week :)

@ricardo_sousa11 Thanks! When I see your grades it  usually makes me think, "Whoa... are we using the same camera?!"... so I appreciate it, and great work on discovering these sweet settings! I look forward to seeing what you share next.

For filmconvert, I used the Red Epic M/Redcolor2 - Redgamma profile in this case, and I was mostly playing around with the FJ 8543 VD film setting, with various amounts of film color added to taste. I've also been been using it quite a lot lately only for the grain, it looks better to me than gorilla grain or some of the other popular film grain overlays. Hopefully they hurry along with that custom-built NX1 profile they're supposedly working on, it will be interesting to see how well it works. 

@Parker and @ricardo_sousa11  You guys are really showcasing what this camera can do.  My videos are not quite at that level yet, so keep sharing your latest settings with us all!  We will keep posting our latest videos.    

@August McCue Great video...I watched it less from a critical perspective and just as someone trying to "re-live" the day...I would be quite happy if my wedding video came out that good 

is it just me or is anyone noticing that the contrast slider is affecting the sharpness of the image ? I started shooting with a negative contrast (no lower than my saturation settings so always around 4-5) and as I am grading problem areas such as trees & foliage no longer have the haloing effect on edges that gets exaggerated when you add a LUT in post.

anyone willing to help me test this out ?