Feature Film Shot on Iscorama TRAILER

jeffpb7

This looks really good, Jeff!  I shot a feature ten years ago for about the same budget and I WISH I'd had the set up you have here (that was back in the days of mini-DV). 

If you want some constructive criticism, I'd say start your trailer with some wider shots to establish the environment and mood before cutting to close ups of people talking.  (Unless of course, it's a famous person, then absolutely start with them.)

Audio is a beast all its own and will probably take more of your time than the edit.  I'd suggest enlisting some experienced help as soon as possible, especially if you don't feel like you have an "ear" for it.  The audience will totally look past imperfections in the photography, but they are absolutely unforgiving on the sound...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's pretty great. Visually awesome. I personally would massage the audio a bit more, especially the sound effects. Even if it is a cheesy b-movie vibe with blatant sound library effects, they should still be mixed correctly. Trust people to take notice anyway.

i would also cut almost half of the lines that each character says at the beginning. "Is that your woman out there in the car?" "Yes sir." "She said y'all just moved to the area." "Are you sure this is the same house?" "Ted said it needed a little work." "Is that his trailer?" "We're gonna have to toughen you up me n you gonna be neighbors." "What?" See how that flows and still makes sense without the other lines? 

That's one thing I had to work hard to teach myself when editing my own work: if a line is unnecessary, you cut it. Even if you wrote it, doesn't matter. The dialogue has to have a conversational flow, and that means timing things right too. 

Ok everyone, thanks again for your comments… you've all convinced me to seek audio help. I've been debating on doing this for the last 6 months or so... Oh well, better late than never, right? But one of the biggest reasons I haven't sought help, is because I can't afford to pay a pro. However, I'm willing to give them a percentage of the profit… maybe 10% of net? I don't know what's reasonable though, because I will probably have to give up a more to distributors and advertisers. Does anyone have any helpful thoughts on how I should approach finding an audio editor, that will work for a percentage. I've already done about 90% of the audio in the entire movie, but it will probably have to all be redone or fixed, since it's about the same quality as the trailer. Thanks!