iPad Pro & Apple Pencil/Stylus Discussion ?

kaylee

WHO IS EXCITED ABOUT APPLE PENCIL????
HAVE YOU USED IT YET???????

as a stylus enthusiast i would love to start a discussion about this topic to get some feedback from you guys~!!!!!

who here uses a stylus????

DO YOU LIKE STYLUSES????

i do, theyre indispensable for me.

of course we’re talking about electronic styluses that work with computers and mobile devices!!!!!! not an actual pencil, paintbrush, or piece of vine charcoal (natural media which i will return to later in this electrifying post)

anyway, i found myself talking to TWO other artists at once today, random coincidence, where all three of us were bitching about the wait time for an Apple® Pencil™…so im clearly not the only one interested in this thing~!

ive found that i mainly use an electronic stylus for two main things: photoshop and taking notes

the photoshop part is ancient, ive been using a wacom tablet with photoshop for longer than id like to admit

the notes part is newer – something that ive always wanted to do, write notes and sketches on a mobile device~! the samsung galaxy note has been around for a while now but my first one was the note 3 and now i have a note 5

although ive used wacoms cintiq draw-on-screen devices, i havent spent enough low key time with one to be conclusive about those in relation to their screenless tablets, although the experience was very good, what i expected. anybody here use one?

from what i hear the microsoft surface has a stylus. you guys using that? looks like it has some nice features

ipads have had styluses that work with them for some time, and although i know many artists who have mind blowing sketchbooks made with them, the experience has never been enough for me. pressure sensitivity like im used to with my intuos wacom just isnt there, but considering ipads historically have never been designed to work with anything other than a finger… i actually find their third party styluses pretty impressive. not something id personally use, but a lot of folks do amazing work with them

tbh i havent really used an electronic stylus very much for the one thing that apples new pencil/ipad pro is all about: naturalistic analog drawing. but id like to

ive had a chance to use apples pencil (not to be confused with the product made by 53) a little bit and my first reaction is that its great – and the price point of an ipad pro isnt v close to a $2500 cintiq companion 2 so thats nice. i need more time with it in a real drawing app like procreate to be sure how good it is tho

but for me so far its the best electronic naturalistic 'real media’ drawing experience that ive had yet. saying this as a mac user who has NEVER owned an ipad: i would buy an ipad pro right this hot second if i didnt have to wait a month for pencil (its ‘backordered')

the thing is, dunno how this works outside the states, but in the US apple is in their holiday return period so instead of the usual two weeks, you have until January 8th to return or exchange stuff that you buy other than contracted phones (fyi!!!). that would give me almost two months to make sure i love it… but whatever ::sigh::

lastly, if i wanted my dream tablet to do something in addition to this "naturalistic drawing experience”, it would undoubtedly be what my wacom already does very well: pressure sensitivity in photoshop. im simply talking about brushes where you change their size and opacity through pen pressure

although an ipad pro sure as hell wont run photoshop, http://astropad.com/ipad/ is a thing that im very curious about. anybody tried it?? p amazing if it works, which ive heard it does, but never seen it in person. anybody use astropad???

WHO IS INTERESTED IN THIS TOPIC, DO YOU WANT AN APPLE PENCIL, DO YOU USE A STYLUS, DO YOU CARE, FAIR WARNNG IF NO ONE COMMENTS I WILL CRY

giphy.gif

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

WHO IS EXCITED ABOUT APPLE PENCIL????
HAVE YOU USED IT YET???????

as a stylus enthusiast i would love to start a discussion about this topic to get some feedback from you guys~!!!!!

who here uses a stylus????

DO YOU LIKE STYLUSES????

i do, theyre indispensable for me.

of course we’re talking about electronic styluses that work with computers and mobile devices!!!!!! not an actual pencil, paintbrush, or piece of vine charcoal (natural media which i will return to later in this electrifying post)

anyway, i found myself talking to TWO other artists at once today, random coincidence, where all three of us were bitching about the wait time for an Apple® Pencil™…so im clearly not the only one interested in this thing~!

ive found that i mainly use an electronic stylus for two main things: photoshop and taking notes

the photoshop part is ancient, ive been using a wacom tablet with photoshop for longer than id like to admit

the notes part is newer – something that ive always wanted to do, write notes and sketches on a mobile device~! the samsung galaxy note has been around for a while now but my first one was the note 3 and now i have a note 5

although ive used wacoms cintiq draw-on-screen devices, i havent spent enough low key time with one to be conclusive about those in relation to their screenless tablets, although the experience was very good, what i expected. anybody here use one?

from what i hear the microsoft surface has a stylus. you guys using that? looks like it has some nice features

ipads have had styluses that work with them for some time, and although i know many artists who have mind blowing sketchbooks made with them, the experience has never been enough for me. pressure sensitivity like im used to with my intuos wacom just isnt there, but considering ipads historically have never been designed to work with anything other than a finger… i actually find their third party styluses pretty impressive. not something id personally use, but a lot of folks do amazing work with them

tbh i havent really used an electronic stylus very much for the one thing that apples new pencil/ipad pro is all about: naturalistic analog drawing. but id like to

ive had a chance to use apples pencil (not to be confused with the product made by 53) a little bit and my first reaction is that its great – and the price point of an ipad pro isnt v close to a $2500 cintiq companion 2 so thats nice. i need more time with it in a real drawing app like procreate to be sure how good it is tho

but for me so far its the best electronic naturalistic 'real media’ drawing experience that ive had yet. saying this as a mac user who has NEVER owned an ipad: i would buy an ipad pro right this hot second if i didnt have to wait a month for pencil (its ‘backordered')

the thing is, dunno how this works outside the states, but in the US apple is in their holiday return period so instead of the usual two weeks, you have until January 8th to return or exchange stuff that you buy other than contracted phones (fyi!!!). that would give me almost two months to make sure i love it… but whatever ::sigh::

lastly, if i wanted my dream tablet to do something in addition to this "naturalistic drawing experience”, it would undoubtedly be what my wacom already does very well: pressure sensitivity in photoshop. im simply talking about brushes where you change their size and opacity through pen pressure

although an ipad pro sure as hell wont run photoshop, http://astropad.com/ipad/ is a thing that im very curious about. anybody tried it?? p amazing if it works, which ive heard it does, but never seen it in person. anybody use astropad???

WHO IS INTERESTED IN THIS TOPIC, DO YOU WANT AN APPLE PENCIL, DO YOU USE A STYLUS, DO YOU CARE, FAIR WARNNG IF NO ONE COMMENTS I WILL CRY

giphy.gif

The Surface Pro is in a completely different league. The iPad only has tweaked versions of all photo editing software. Also, it isn't a replacement for full fledged desktop editing for photos.

The best thing for you to do would be to try and use both and make a choice. 

I use an Intious 5 for video editing. Once I got used to it, a mouse is just a pain.

I find the idea of a Touch Screen for editing very facinating. I guess after using any touch screen, whether on a DELL or Laptop or Tablet, it is difficult to go back to non-touch ones.

But how much of editing is possipossible via touch. Meaningful have all functions been optimised for touch screen applications. 

The Surface Pro is in a completely different league. The iPad only has tweaked versions of all photo editing software. Also, it isn't a replacement for full fledged desktop editing for photos.

The best thing for you to do would be to try and use both and make a choice. 

im 100% with you that ipad "apps" arent the same as desktop software. i wish they were more competitive, but its nice to see apple moving in that direction.

i dont see the ipad pro as a replacement for anything. im not trynna use mobile apps – even the ones that are part of my CC subscription – to edit photos... ever. like i said, for me, ipad pro w pencil would be a digital sketchbook – which is a huge deal. easily worth $1k to me just for that alone given the alternatives. im not a big iOS fan, but im not a big windows fan either... is there something that im missing about surface? im open to whatever... sell me on this

if an app like astropad or another solution could allow me to use scale and opacity control with brushes in photoshop on an ipad, thats icing on the cake (a lot of icing)

mmmmmm....... icing

tumblr_lzbk4nXUVX1ro2c2ro6_r1_500.gif

I've bought the original Surface Pro and the Surface Pro 3, and I have sold both of them. I've love the idea of working with images on a tablet via a stylus, but as of right now, the software isn't there yet. Neither Lightroom nor Photoshop worked very well with a stylus, because the UI wasn't anywhere near usable. Lightroom was getting there with the touch UI for Windows machines with a touch screen, but it wasn't very intuitive, and the Surface Pro 3 wasn't quite fast enough to handle 24 and 36 megapixel files -- the machine would stutter and lag, and that just exacerbated the problems.

I was really, really interested in the Surface Book, until I found out the price. I'm super super keen to try the iPad Pro with the Astropad app -- I think that might be the best bet yet for what we both seem to want to do. Ultimately what I really want -- and reading all the reviews, what all the reviewers want too -- is pro apps on the iPad Pro. I also want to be able to plug in a hard drive into the damn thing to copy files into the iPad as quickly as possible!

No idea. Never edited with touchscreen besides on a phone or something.

The intous has model with a screen but Ive never tried it.

i find this very interesting as well...!

thats the advantage of, say, imovie on an ipad pro: its a touch based interface, if thats what youre looking for. v intuitive vs pointing and clicking

but the idea of stylus as a mouse substitution is completely legitimate for most desktop software as far as the existing UI, u kno? 

Neither Lightroom nor Photoshop worked very well with a stylus, because the UI wasn't anywhere near usable. Lightroom was getting there with the touch UI for Windows machines with a touch screen, but it wasn't very intuitive, and the Surface Pro 3 wasn't quite fast enough to handle 24 and 36 megapixel files -- the machine would stutter and lag, and that just exacerbated the problems.

hmmm v interesting good to know, thanks for the info~!

I was really, really interested in the Surface Book, until I found out the price. I'm super super keen to try the iPad Pro with the Astropad app -- I think that might be the best bet yet for what we both seem to want to do. Ultimately what I really want -- and reading all the reviews, what all the reviewers want too -- is pro apps on the iPad Pro. I also want to be able to plug in a hard drive into the damn thing to copy files into the iPad as quickly as possible!

im really hopeful about the astropad/ipad pro combo. on paper seems like it could work

also fwiw i think that developers will eventually get on the "power apps" for ipad pro bandwagon, simply since apple is encouraging it. but its like a new video game system to write for.... itll take awhile lol. apple is clearly not leading the way by example there

as far as the hard drive... im with you, but dont hold your breath~! ? although, as far as speed goes there is this so who knows

I've no experience with a stylus, but the era of the Mouse is dead for me. I've been using the Magic Trackpad for over a year now & it has revolutionised the way I can communicate with my computer - its fully customisable.

But a stylus would be a really useful addition thing to have for editing, so you could properly isolate a particular object in order to use a mask more accurately etc... Obviously, they already exist (Intious 5 etc...), but in conjunction with a touch screen, such as an ipad, that you could link to your computer properly would be amazing.

I'm stuck in a Mac rut & I really hope that Apple will see the future sooner rather than later - I really would like to see a properly spec'd Mac Mini server model interacting with a larger screened iPad. Its a real shame when you can see the future & the companies just want to hold you back. It's like fast, cheap Broadband in the UK - they could do it without ripping people off, but the monopoly of companies won't allow it!

I use an Intious 5 for video editing. Once I got used to it, a mouse is just a pain.

oops sorry mattias i screwed up my quoting. i meant to copy this ^

using your wacom for video editing is fascinating to me, i do it too but i figured i might be like the only person on earth lol

a mouse can be a pain figuratively and literally. i have terrible carpal tunnel/nerve issues partly due to years of using a mouse 24/7 and for me just not doing that is pretty important tbh. my wrist is a hot mess lol. anyway i bet a lot of other ppl here have had issues like that, but have a continued need to work w computers, and anything besides a mouse – touchscreen, stylus, trackpad – is probably going to be way better for you in the long run, sure is for me

I've no experience with a stylus, but the era of the Mouse is dead for me. I've been using the Magic Trackpad for over a year now & it has revolutionised the way I can communicate with my computer - its fully customisable.

hear hear!

I'm stuck in a Mac rut & I really hope that Apple will see the future sooner rather than later - I really would like to see a properly spec'd Mac Mini server model interacting with a larger screened iPad. Its a real shame when you can see the future & the companies just want to hold you back

i feel you. i hate to say it but tbh i think all the shit tim cook says is a shoot* about them believing in ios and osx being separate companions – like he called surface "diluted" or something the other day? i was like rlly? ppl like that thing

I think it's interesting. I use my iPad for 3 things: storyboarding, watching movies, and a sound machine (overnight).

right??? thats my plan for my ipad pro tbh

storyboarding is THE thing that id LOVE to be able to do on a tablet with a screen

i have to storyboard every shot of my entire f------- feature which is pretty challenging – storyboarding is hard

for me, i see everything very clearly in my mind, but theres something about the act of going from words on a page in a screenplay to a sketch that suggests space, camera angles and movement, lens focal length.... 

its like trying to remember a dream where, the more you think about it, the memory of it just disappears

idk if anyone can relate to that? storyboarding deserves its own thread~!

how do you make your storyboards, aarronchicago? stylus? what app? also, as a chicagoan, do you know cm punk and/or colt cabana? and cubs or white sox?

P1020790.JPG?itok=t2ckjz2L

*shoot is a professional wrestling term, essentially meaning real. from wikipedia: A shoot in professional wrestling is any unplanned, unscripted or real-life occurrence within a wrestling event. The name does not originate from "shooting in" for a takedown, as in amateur wrestling, but rather, it is a carny term shortened from "straight shooting" which originally referred to a gun in a carnival target shooting game which did not have its sights fixed (terminology such as this reflecting the professional wrestling industry's roots in traveling carnivals).[1] This term has come to mean a legit attack or fight in professional wrestling and its meaning has broadened to include unscripted events in general. The opposite of a shoot is a work.

oops sorry mattias i screwed up my quoting. i meant to copy this ^

using your wacom for video editing is fascinating to me, i do it too but i figured i might be like the only person on earth lol

a mouse can be a pain figuratively and literally. i have terrible carpal tunnel/nerve issues partly due to years of using a mouse 24/7 and for me just not doing that is pretty important tbh. my wrist is a hot mess lol. anyway i bet a lot of other ppl here have had issues like that, but have a continued need to work w computers, and anything besides a mouse – touchscreen, stylus, trackpad – is probably going to be way better for you in the long run, sure is for me

hear hear!

i feel you. i hate to say it but tbh i think all the shit tim cook says is a shoot* about them believing in ios and osx being separate companions – like he called surface "diluted" or something the other day? i was like rlly? ppl like that thing

right??? thats my plan for my ipad pro tbh

storyboarding is THE thing that id LOVE to be able to do on a tablet with a screen

i have to storyboard every shot of my entire f------- feature which is pretty challenging – storyboarding is hard

for me, i see everything very clearly in my mind, but theres something about the act of going from words on a page in a screenplay to a sketch that suggests space, camera angles and movement, lens focal length.... 

its like trying to remember a dream where, the more you think about it, the memory of it just disappears

idk if anyone can relate to that? storyboarding deserves its own thread~!

how do you make your storyboards, aarronchicago? stylus? what app? also, as a chicagoan, do you know cm punk and/or colt cabana? and cubs or white sox?

P1020790.JPG?itok=t2ckjz2L

*shoot is a professional wrestling term, essentially meaning real. from wikipedia: A shoot in professional wrestling is any unplanned, unscripted or real-life occurrence within a wrestling event. The name does not originate from "shooting in" for a takedown, as in amateur wrestling, but rather, it is a carny term shortened from "straight shooting" which originally referred to a gun in a carnival target shooting game which did not have its sights fixed (terminology such as this reflecting the professional wrestling industry's roots in traveling carnivals).[1] This term has come to mean a legit attack or fight in professional wrestling and its meaning has broadened to include unscripted events in general. The opposite of a shoot is a work.

right now i use Paper app and a stylus. I'm a Cubs fan!

• 3 years later...

I have recently received the iPad Pro and it is also a great tablet for art, but it is very VERY expensive. Also (unfortunately) all the art programs on the iPad Pro require you purchase an additional stylus in order to use pressure sensitivity. I purchased the Apple Pencil ( the highest on recommendations) which also costs a very pretty penny at the price of 95$. 

I love my XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro 21.5" IPS display monitor tablet so much. I learned how to operate this at my animation and video editing class! xp-pen produce the good graphics tablets for art in the industry . But please do not forget that this is a PROFESSIONAL TABLET please take that in consideration first before you go out and buy one.

Lets consider what it can do!

1. Its at least 550$. 

2. INDOOR USE ONLY .

3. Can be used with any computer.

4. Great for animators and artists .

5. Awesome display .

6. Stylus comes with tablet .

7. Can run Paint Tool Sai, Photoshop, OpenToonz, and much more! 

iPad Pro + Apple Pencil

I am really liking it so far (even though I only use one app for drawing.) It has a lot of potential to being a great tablet for the arts, it just needs more apps for...well art. They have lots of sketch apps, but after shooting my pocket and buying an Apple Pencil I can barely afford a peanut. Most of these said apps require you to buy a subscription to even enable pressure sensitivity or layers in the app. Which can kind of get costly when it isn't even the best quality.

It can be for indoor and outdoor use! Battery life kind of runs quick but besides that it's pretty good!

1. At least 600$ The one I have is approximately 800$ .

2. Indoor and outdoor use!

3. Is only compatible with Apple products. 

4. Great for artists, not yet for animators. 

5. 12.9 Display IS great for artists! 

6. Stylus is not included. 

7. Can only run apps that are available in the Apple App Store. 

So that's all I have to say about these two tablets! Now you decide which is the better of the two!

• 1 year later...

I personally enjoy using a XP-Pen Graphic tablet with Photoshop and Lightroom. I had the XP-Pen Artist 12 Pro ( https://www.xp-pen.com/product/479.html ) display drawing tablet  . Works great for my needs.

I have also enjoyed using Astropad with a Mac, iPad Pro and Apple Pencil but that's a bit of a niche setup.  I just got the new iPad Pro 11” and downloaded Lightroom this past weekend to try it out. It’s actually pretty fantastic to use. It has the same feature set as Lightroom CC on desktop, so if you need some of the Lightroom CC Classic features, just be aware.