Sony A7S II & A7R II - How's it going?

Oliver Daniel

To all users of the A7S II and A7R II, how's it going? 

The reason I ask is because I'm going to be doing a continuous series of jobs which involves grabbing footage of live gigs, quick interviews, cutaways, music videos, promo stills... all in one package for online content creation. 

The client wants 4k, some type of slow motion and "moving" shots. Low light, portable setup + a small footprint is obviously very important. 

In the middle of all this, I'll be performing commercial jobs and other content through my business. 

I can't think of a better package than the A7S II & A7R II, operated by myself and business partner. Ticks all the boxes right? 

I'm very experienced with Sony (FS700, FS7, F55, A7S, RX10 II - I only own the RX10 II) - but just wondering what current users think of the cameras.

I've got EF lenses (electronic and manual), do you recommend any Sony lenses? (for stills + autofocus on a gimbal, wide shot). 

Anything quirks look out for? Any recommended accessories? Anything else? 

THANK YOU EOSHD!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Another setup to consider, all in one bag, is the A6000 + 35mm/1.8, 10-18mm and the wireless mic attachment ECM-W1M (which you can clip on someone, attach a lav, or just put on a table near the action).  I've used it a lot on the Nebula 4000 gimbal.  For 4K consider adding the RX10 IV to your bag.  You can buy all that stuff, some used, at the price of one of those bodies alone.

I don't know about the new A7s, but the A6000 focuses better than my A7.  If you're not going to shoot stills, the A7s are overkill.  

Here's one sample

https://vimeo.com/121428480  

Another setup to consider is the A6000 + 35mm/1.8, 10-18mm and the wireless mic attachment ECM-W1M (which you can clip on someone, attach a lav, or just put on a table near the action).  I've used it a lot on the Nebula 4000 gimbal.  For 4K consider the RX10 IV.  You can buy all that stuff, some used, at the price of one of those bodies alone.

I don't know about the new A7s, but the A6000 focuses better than my A7.  If you're not going to shoot stills, the A7s are overkill.  

Here's one sample

https://vimeo.com/121428480  

Cheers for the feedback. 

We will definitely be shooting stills too (A7R II) and coupled with the A7S II we have 100fps in  HD. 

Both cameras have the 5-axis, plus we have a Ronin-M. I'm really waiting for the pistol grip market to mature before going down that route. 

I've never used Sony lenses, so a bit head scratchy there. Could do with one wide for the gimbal. Cheers for the suggestion. :) 

Here's some test footage of the A6000 and the 10-18/f4.  Sorry it isn't better.  IMHO you can't do better at 15 to 24mm with any camera, stills or video than that combination.  Maybe I shouldn't beat around the bush.  I LOVE LOVE THAT LENS :)  As for the pistol grip stabilizers.  They work fine with small cameras.  Mine is lent out to a DP who is at the low end of the technical spectrum and he's shot at least 4 shoots with it with no problem.  He always shoots the A6000+35mm+wireless mic.  Many of the problems people have with them is that they try to get many camera/lens combinations working with them.  You're right in that you can't quickly adjust them.  Again, if you always shoot a prime with a small camera on it, the pistol grip gimbals are fine.  Sensor stabilizers don't match the dreamy feel you get with a gimbal.  Completely different looks/feel.  I know you know that.  You can do  lots of incognito stuff with the Nebula you can't do with the Ronin.   Remember to post your first videos using you new combination, whatever it is!!!!!  

I'm loving the S II and the R II, going to get rid of the RX10 II because of obvious reasons (low light performance, sensor size). What I liked about it so much was the real easy run'n'gun option, but the new Alphas just do that with a much nicer image and package. The IBIS isn't really usable for video once you go above 135 mm, but up to that it's quite alright if you have a bit of practice with it. The S obviously is much better in low light and in my opinion in a few other scenarios, as well, but the R is at least decent all the time. There's a few downsides of course, the poor build quality of the display (really don't understand what they were thinking here, the cameras being so expensive). The Slo-Mo on the S is superb, even better than the RX10 II imho, if only for the full frame look. And you just can't produce bad video indoors with bad lighting with the S, much unlike the RX.

Lens-wise: the 90 macro is quite awesome, especially for video, with the added stabilization and the best ergonomics I've ever got to enjoy on a lens (you can switch between AF and MF just by clicking the focus ring up and down, plus you have a button to suspend AF while pushing it), also for close-ups it really does the trick, obviously. Image quality is flawless, too. The 55 1.8 is great as well, very light and small for the occasional ninja shot.

In terms of Auto Focus in video, the R is quite a bit better, but both aren't too reliable, especially in low light (here, the S is much better with native lenses as has been said before). All in all still quite alright, though.

I'm finally getting rid of my D800 and NX1, too, Sony all in, even though I don't like their philosophy, the cameras just pack so much punch. Stills of the R are so amazing and you can do pretty much everything handheld, the silent shooting is nice, too for certain situations (if you mind the shutter speed and other limitations).

Here's some test footage of the A6000 and the 10-18/f4.  Sorry it isn't better.  IMHO you can't do better at 15 to 24mm with any camera, stills or video than that combination.  Maybe I shouldn't beat around the bush.  I LOVE LOVE THAT LENS :)  As for the pistol grip stabilizers.  They work fine with small cameras.  Mine is lent out to a DP who is at the low end of the technical spectrum and he's shot at least 4 shoots with it with no problem.  He always shoots the A6000+35mm+wireless mic.  Many of the problems people have with them is that they try to get many camera/lens combinations working with them.  You're right in that you can't quickly adjust them.  Again, if you always shoot a prime with a small camera on it, the pistol grip gimbals are fine.  Sensor stabilizers don't match the dreamy feel you get with a gimbal.  Completely different looks/feel.  I know you know that.  You can do  lots of incognito stuff with the Nebula you can't do with the Ronin.   Remember to post your first videos using you new combination, whatever it is!!!!!  

Nebula seems pretty good. 

I jumped on the gimbal bandwagon early with a BeSteady. That was a mistake, as the thing didn't work for about a year. The Ronin-M seems like a mature product. 

Yes I know all about the "feel". I'm rather into it. 

I'm loving the S II and the R II, going to get rid of the RX10 II because of obvious reasons (low light performance, sensor size). What I liked about it so much was the real easy run'n'gun option, but the new Alphas just do that with a much nicer image and package. The IBIS isn't really usable for video once you go above 135 mm, but up to that it's quite alright if you have a bit of practice with it. The S obviously is much better in low light and in my opinion in a few other scenarios, as well, but the R is at least decent all the time. There's a few downsides of course, the poor build quality of the display (really don't understand what they were thinking here, the cameras being so expensive). The Slo-Mo on the S is superb, even better than the RX10 II imho, if only for the full frame look. And you just can't produce bad video indoors with bad lighting with the S, much unlike the RX.

Lens-wise: the 90 macro is quite awesome, especially for video, with the added stabilization and the best ergonomics I've ever got to enjoy on a lens (you can switch between AF and MF just by clicking the focus ring up and down, plus you have a button to suspend AF while pushing it), also for close-ups it really does the trick, obviously. Image quality is flawless, too. The 55 1.8 is great as well, very light and small for the occasional ninja shot.

In terms of Auto Focus in video, the R is quite a bit better, but both aren't too reliable, especially in low light (here, the S is much better with native lenses as has been said before). All in all still quite alright, though.

I'm finally getting rid of my D800 and NX1, too, Sony all in, even though I don't like their philosophy, the cameras just pack so much punch. Stills of the R are so amazing and you can do pretty much everything handheld, the silent shooting is nice, too for certain situations (if you mind the shutter speed and other limitations).

Although my works with the original A7S aren't a huge number, I really enjoyed the creative possibilities with that camera. Didn't like the general colours, but I've not spent enough time with it to really judge. Pleased with my FS700/FS7/F55 stuff though - colour wise.

I think I'll have a blast with these cameras, and be able to get the most out of some of my weird vintage glass like Meyer Optik Gorlitz, Helios etc. The bokeh on the Trioplan is crazy. Also got a really crap Nikon lens, a 43-86 which I really like because the flares are ridiculous. Best on full frame easily. Not so on the GH3/4. 

The only major worry for me is battery life. It was awful on the first A7S. 

I think I'll have a blast with these cameras, and be able to get the most out of some of my weird vintage glass like Meyer Optik Gorlitz, Helios etc. The bokeh on the Trioplan is crazy. Also got a really crap Nikon lens, a 43-86 which I really like because the flares are ridiculous.

i love all that stuff. to me if youre going for a pretty, dreamy, cinematic feel, vintage lenses and highly resolving contemporary camera bodies are a match made in heaven ?

and, if you want a harder edge, you can definitely do that in your grade. i mean more so that its a painters brush paired with a surgeons scalpel ~ for the good

I think I'll have a blast with these cameras, and be able to get the most out of some of my weird vintage glass like Meyer Optik Gorlitz, Helios etc. The bokeh on the Trioplan is crazy. Also got a really crap Nikon lens, a 43-86 which I really like because the flares are ridiculous. Best on full frame easily. Not so on the GH3/4. 

The only major worry for me is battery life. It was awful on the first A7S. 

The native Sony lenses are extremely clean which of course doesn't give much character, have to fiddle with that in post (sure, not the same). Waiting for the Four Thirds adapter, so I can throw my Helios and Danubia on.

Get a Neewer battery grip. :d But even so it's still mediocre, agreed. No big issue for me as I haven't done anything big yet. What I'm looking forward to especially is low light event shooting with the S, there's probably no better camera for that.