Hail China – or: How the chinese battery grip for the A7 II series costs a third/fourth of the Sony, is better quality and includes a wireless intervalometer

agolex

Anyone notice that the Neewer Battery Grip for the Mk IIs is a little bit better quality, has better grip, includes a wireless intervalometer and costs 80 € instead of 230+++? And it smells so much better!

Really, Sony should cut it with the Apple mentality or they'll get eaten by the chinese Supermen one day. :d In general, the chinese products have become so good and other countries tend to lose their quality standards. Exciting future ahead. :d

Nevermind the fact that the Sony grip is produced in China, as well. :p

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

AliExpress for example. Today (11.11) is a special day over there too.

Gotta love China indeed. Even visited the Hong Kong Electronics Fair and Shenzhen around this time last year, because they just amaze me what things are possible for such low prices.

- Though, fair warning, I'd say possibly 90% of the stuff out there is actually that cheap for a reason. Stuff can be good for cheap, if they put in the effort to get it right. Doesn't mean this is always the case. Most of the times it's just something half-assed to look the bizz, but in all actuality is far from it. So you got to know your stuff/read into it or be adventurous and trust your own good judgement. I'm a fan of Chinese brands though. It usually means something if they're willing to put their name on it. But still, for stuff like batteries or so, better buy something legit (don't have to buy original, but you can get a good B-brand (I like Patona for example)) than to fry your expensive gear looking to save a few pennies (almost lost my GH2 on a Chinese DSTE battery).

slightly off topic, but i just bought a bunch of these (and all of them work?!) from amazon

super cheap, uses all kinds of batteries including sonys and AAs, [somewhat] dimmable, gelable, lousy build quality but so lightweight you can tape them to anything, and hey theyre borderline disposable at $30~!

517K86by0nL.jpg

i just needed a bunch of rim lights for an outdoor shoot i did recently, and amazingly, they worked out great~! everyone got a kick out of the box lol

good to kno about the grip!!

Yeah, if you follow Nitsan Simantov, Alan Besedin and Simon Cade, you get some cool suggestions for gear, character and shooting skills. The Brits are great!

The Pixapros look cool, but personally I'd rather look into these two options:

Or...

Of course depends on required mobility, output and what kind of light you're looking for. If you work with matteboxes in a studio setup, part of your shoot is taking stills, the Pixapros might be the more obvious choice.

I have one of the Neewer grips with the remote trigger as well. Its good, plastic feels cheap, buttons feel really cheap, but for 1/3 the price of the Sony, so what. It functions perfectly. I have my A7rII setup with BB AF and the grip does whatever you have the AEL toggle set to, so for me its great, I can use it for BB AF or engaging eye AF depending on where the toggle is set.