Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Jimmy

With the Ursa 4.6K announcement... The Micro BMCC passed me by a bit, but I have been checking out the specs and it looks great.... I can live without 4K for some of my work, but have always felt that a lack of HFR let the BM cams down a bit... The Micro has 60fps, great. Pre-ordered

Is anyone else getting one? Has there been much news on a release date? What are you going to use for monitoring? Is the 60fps in raw?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have one pre-ordered from a place that Aaron Green recommended. I'm most excited by the global shutter option. There is something about the way it renders motion that makes a subtle difference. And of course, I look forward to shooting raw and prores without the need for an outboard recorder/monitor. I've been running around with a GH4 and Odyssey 7Q+ and it can be a bit unwieldy when I'm on my own.

I have assembled everything I need to shoot with it collecting in a box. some purchased, most I already had -- cage, cards, cables, 502 monitor, speedbooster, ND, follow focus, tokina 11-16, sigma 18-35 + 50mm, and Rich at Dog Schidt Optiks is crafting a Trump 58 set with the 38 and 88 attachments for me which i can't wait to pair with the bmmcc. Hopefully it ships this month.

royNQIs.jpg

I also picked up this fantastic monopod by Sirui. bought it for the Micro but have been using it with my GH4 in the meantime and I love it.

wow.  that little setup will be killer with the 0.54x sb!  pretty much an ikonoskop with the advantage of a speed booster!  I'm hoping the global shutter mode doesnt affect iso sensitivity too much.  but even if it's one stop, you'll be running an effective 1250base iso:)  I'd better get the damn trump24/2 attachment sorted asap! 

With the Ursa 4.6K announcement... The Micro BMCC passed me by a bit, but I have been checking out the specs and it looks great.... I can live without 4K for some of my work, but have always felt that a lack of HFR let the BM cams down a bit... The Micro has 60fps, great. Pre-ordered

Is anyone else getting one? Has there been much news on a release date? What are you going to use for monitoring? Is the 60fps in raw?

Expect to receive it around 2017 then! ;)

I also picked up this fantastic monopod by Sirui. bought it for the Micro but have been using it with my GH4 in the meantime and I love it.

Zak, have you personally tested any similar monopods? I'm in the market for one, and I was undecided between the manfrotto and one by a company called cinetree. I literally read about the Sirui 5 minutes before I saw your post. How stable are the feet? Would you feel comfortable being a foot or two away from it outside with a small set up on top?Obviously not on a windy day.

it's very stable. at it's lowest height setting, i've left a small rig (camera, cage, top handle, lens) on it overnight. and love how versatile it is. like being able to take the feet off and use them as a hi hat. i also had a manfrotto 501 head that i put on it.

Good to know, thanks. I never used a twist lock tripod/monopod before... Do the locks feel pretty secure? Also, do you have the aluminum or carbon model? Sorry, about all the questions, I have just been doing a lot of shooting lately and I am getting tired of lugging my manfrotto/bogen tripod around, especially since a lot of times I don't even spread the legs out and use it like a monopod. 

Add the BMPCC-specific Speed Booster, and think about what you're getting for your money:

-Internal 10-bit ProRes

-Internal log-encoded 12-bit RAW

-1.67x crop factor

-An extra 1 2/3 stops of light on all your lenses

-The best color science in its price range

-13 stops of DR (11-12 in GS mode)

-The option to turn on global shutter whenever you need it

Add a cheap HDMI monitor or use your existing one, and you've got an insanely beast camera for ~$1500. 

Good to know, thanks. I never used a twist lock tripod/monopod before... Do the locks feel pretty secure? Also, do you have the aluminum or carbon model? Sorry, about all the questions, I have just been doing a lot of shooting lately and I am getting tired of lugging my manfrotto/bogen tripod around, especially since a lot of times I don't even spread the legs out and use it like a monopod. 

yes, they're very solid. the build quality overall is "confidence inspiring". :)  

that being said, if I could change one thing, it would be for a clamp style lock to simplify operation. but the twist locks only require a half turn to loosen and tighten for height adjustment. and (good for me) they're labelled so I know which way to twist, until it becomes second nature. so it's not a big deal.

yes, they're very solid. the build quality overall is "confidence inspiring". :)  

that being said, if I could change one thing, it would be for a clamp style lock to simplify operation. but the twist locks only require a half turn to loosen and tighten for height adjustment. and (good for me) they're labelled so I know which way to twist, until it becomes second nature. so it's not a big deal.

Thanks, I just found a "new other" one selling for $109. Sold.