Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Jimmy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
52 minutes ago, muhammadahmad said:

I dont need slow mo. Music videos and short ads.

For music videos you could need it, especially if you shoot a story besides the playback.

I had the Pocket and now  have the Micro: the quality is similar, you could intercut them and none could tell which is which.

The Pocket has the monitor, so it is more easy to use without rig, the Micro has not, but the battery life is definitely better. With Pocket you need a lot of batteries to shoot for a day, because they last just 30-40 minutes.

For 500 dollars anyway the Pocket is a great buy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Seeing how some of you shoot with the BMMCC since a while I'd like to bring this thread up again.

Curious how the sensor which had slight improvements over the BMPCC fares with moire and aliasing? I've seen on FB that Zak got the OLPF installed to eliminate it but I wondered how the thing fares without it. A lot of moire? Identical between RAW and ProRes? I guess when using a field monitor with real 1080p resolution I would already see the moire while shooting to change angle/distance/focus?

I just can't get the BMMCC out of my head. While I actually like my a6300 I always thirst for RAW/10Bit ProRes and the low rolling shutter, on the other hand I'm afraid of the resolution (but I've seen some quite sharp & "commercial" looking videos with it) and moire (that might be a deal breaker). The BMPC4k and BMCC would actually be exactly what I like, but some of their specifications would make a rig necessary that's bigger than what I'd want to use (SDI to HDMI converter for my monitor, V mount battery, doesn't go on an one-hand-gimbal, etc.)

54 minutes ago, Phil A said:

Seeing how some of you shoot with the BMMCC since a while I'd like to bring this thread up again.

Curious how the sensor which had slight improvements over the BMPCC fares with moire and aliasing? I've seen on FB that Zak got the OLPF installed to eliminate it but I wondered how the thing fares without it. A lot of moire? Identical between RAW and ProRes? I guess when using a field monitor with real 1080p resolution I would already see the moire while shooting to change angle/distance/focus?

I just can't get the BMMCC out of my head. While I actually like my a6300 I always thirst for RAW/10Bit ProRes and the low rolling shutter, on the other hand I'm afraid of the resolution (but I've seen some quite sharp & "commercial" looking videos with it) and moire (that might be a deal breaker). The BMPC4k and BMCC would actually be exactly what I like, but some of their specifications would make a rig necessary that's bigger than what I'd want to use (SDI to HDMI converter for my monitor, V mount battery, doesn't go on an one-hand-gimbal, etc.)

I haven't used mine much, but if Zak got an OLPF that's probably a good indication that it needs it.

Hey there. Everyone is going to have to make their own determination for how much moire they can handle. I'm pretty forgiving because i know most viewers aren't going to think twice about (or even notice) minor instances. But I bought the Mosaic anti-aliasing filter for those times when it goes berserk. Their new design only takes seconds to pop in and out. And lately, I find myself just leaving it in and giving the sharpening a nudge in Resolve. If I wasn't up to my ass in work, i'd do a side by side to show the benefits/sacrifices. But I'm happy wth how it cleans up moire that I'd often see in hair and other fine detail. I don't know if this will help, but it's the only thing I've got (that i can show) that I shot with the anti-aliasing filter from Mosaic. Shooting with vintage glass here too.

• 1 month later...

I saw a video about the micro cinema camera where the guy says that the camera won't work with a metabones micro fourth third speedbooster. I have a micro fouth third speedbooster but not from metabones it's from China and it works on my bmpcc but i wonder if it would work on the micro cinema camera ? Anybody using one of those on the bmmcm ?

Having used the Micro for several months now I've yet to see the strong "berserk" moire. Perhaps if I'm peeping I could find it, but nothing I've seen so far using this camera for work and personal stuff has caused alarm. Not saying it can't and won't happen, but I love my Micro. I also have the pocket, but I use the micro 90% between the two for the battery and 60p. If you don't need the slow mo, the battery is definitely worth it.

On 10/23/2016 at 3:05 AM, Swiss said:

I saw a video about the micro cinema camera where the guy says that the camera won't work with a metabones micro fourth third speedbooster. I have a micro fouth third speedbooster but not from metabones it's from China and it works on my bmpcc but i wonder if it would work on the micro cinema camera ? Anybody using one of those on the bmmcm ?

i've been using the metabones speedbooster on my micro since it was released. no issues.

4 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

i've been using the metabones speedbooster on my micro since it was released. no issues.

If memory serves me right you use the metabones bmpcc speedbooster. The video compares the metabones m4/3 speed booster to the metabones bmpcc speedbooster. His metabones m4/3 speedbooster has the weird issue.

• Super Members

Olympus and Panasonic has a different error margin than for example Blackmagic and Metabones. Therefore mixmatches can sometimes couse issues. If he where to test another copy of the adapter it will probably fit. Buy another one and there might be issues again.

This problem was very evident when the bmpcc first came out and some had issues with third part adapters and lenses while others didnt.

Ive had plenty of adapters and lenses not fitting perfectly on the BMPCC. Most of the time it was easy to fix.

If memory serves me right it is Blackmagic that are to good at machining the mount to exact with not enough room for error.

At least this is how I recall it.

I had a first gen Nikon to m43 Speedbooster that didn't fit onto my Blackmagic Micro Camera. It was fine on the Pocket and the GH4, just not the Micro. I read it was something to do with the Pocket cam's mount being slightly different in thickness to the spec. Apparently Metabones can replace the speedbooster mount but I just sold mine with my GH4 and got the BMPCC Speedbooster which fits perfectly.

My SLR Magic 25mm T0.95 Hyperprime CINE did great on my Panasonic bodies... mounting it on the E-M1... not a perfect fit at all. That was metal on metal scraping... I didn't dare to continue fitting it. Then I read somewhere online that margins for the mount indeed differ. My mind was boggled! SLR Magic offered to exchange the mount, but there was a risk of it being too sloppy on my Panasonic bodies afterwards. Someone online said that you just had to push through and it would fit... and so it did. Very very snug and a little bruised perhaps from forcefully putting it on there. Weird. One system. One mount. But not exactly universal.