Canon C100 MkII 50Hz/ 60Hz - Can't Shoot 23.98 on 50Hz - Why?

User

I'm in a 50Hz country. When I set the camera to 50Hz (to stop lighting flicker) I no longer can shoot at 23.98 fps, only PF25 or 50i.

The previous material of the project that I am shooting is 23.98 and I want to keep this frame rate.

Who knows the work around?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

as you turned out? This mode is not 50 Hz

Not sure I understand this comment? Anyone else?

Despite my last comment on thinking that I solved the issue, I enabled the camera's waveform monitor and could see that there was still  signs of lighting flicker.

Does anyone have the solution?

Hi Zach,

I think I understand the differences between American and European Hz standards and why etc but thank you for the Ablecine link

What I'm trying to understand (from other C100 users) is if anyone has found a solution to the flickering. C-Scan, shutter angle, etc?

Another way of coming at this issue is to just ask the question: Can I shoot at 23.98 in 50hz? Or is this not possible because 23.98 is a frame rate designed for a 60hz country and their electrical standard? After going over the Ablecine page I don't think this is possible and now I'm starting to think that I should have started the project on 50hz and 25p to keep everything flicker free when shooting in at 50hz country, but for some reason I though it smart to try and keep a 23.98 (24) frame rate. Any thoughts here?

I don't know if it makes much difference but I'm editing in PPro and as I understand it is should be able to conform this without any trouble. Right?

Shooting 23.98 in a country with 50hz power supply will not work as you have discovered if there is any light powered by the 50hz mains ....

just the small shift to 25 eliminates the flickering. Conforming after the fact will not eliminate the flicker as it has been captured and I assume

will still show up ... Should you shoot outside with daylight any standard will work. I assume that shutter angle C-scan or any other approach

will leave you with a residual flicker .... now shooting at 25 and conforming to 23.98 would allow you to capture non-flickering video and render it 

cleanly. The standards were set through the discovery of the problem and the solution is fairly set ... as neither the EU nor the American system will

conform to the other system's standard.

Bob

Cross posting this reply from my other similar topic:

I think I've managed to sort things out. I can shoot in 60hz to have 23.98p @ 48 shutter speed. When I check the waveform I only see a tiny amount of flicker. What I understand now is that when I switch from 60p to 23.98, the camera's shutter defaults to 1/60 and that's what was causing me to initially think that the camera was showing flicker at what I thought was 60hz 23.98 at 1/48 shutter speed. Too many hours with no sleep. Sorry for dragging folks in here on my oversight, Mattais was right that the flicker (so far) is minimal and manageable at those settings. Alright, back to the races.