Where is the V Log love?

AaronChicago

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I can't believe we're talking about the same camera/profile. Maybe my phone-app-hacked V-log wasn't true V-log?

My internal V-log was BAD.

Shadows looked worse than anything I've seen including my rebel.

It's almost flat out unusable in anything but right landscapes ETTR with so minimal shaows.

It really had an image ''defect'', everything down there is complete mush of macro (not so macro) blocks, enormous splotches and noise moving faster than anything I've seen.

I've shot a high/low key high contrast close up of a woman face with both the v-log ad D5300. V-log, the half low-key part is gone, mush, while the little nikon had solid blacks and solid highs. The half high key part, the v-log looked better, resolution and colour depth. Tried adding contrast a bit excessively, no luck, neat video, destroys the good half. Thanks I'll shoot the nikon.

Or V-log in 10bit if it doesn't have the shadow hideousness. It would be a great image because the hihs are lovely with lots of DR, detail and thick colour. Much thicker than normal profiles. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I tried using V-Log (internal) when shooting some B-roll yesterday. Shot half with Cine-V and half with V-Log. Tried grading them this morning and I've had to reject all the V-log shots. Just mush. It's a very wide shot with loads of detail (a cathedral and massive bottle sculpture). Yesterday's Cine-V shots in the teaser below:

I've just rediscovered my Tiffen Ultra Contrast and HDTV/FX filters and - as many found a while ago on this forum with the GX7 etc - they really do work wonders. I highly recommend getting one to accompany your GH4. They lift shadows, take the digital edge off the detail (without sacrificing detail) and improve highlight rolloff very nicely IMO. They make bokeh look cool too :)

I bought a Ninja Assassin specifically for V-Log, and despite my initial reservations it's been absolutely worthwhile. Small and light is great, but having that 7in screen means I just got it right more often, and that alone was worth it. And V-log looks AMAZING in 10bit -- skin tones in particular just looks so good. I did go back and forth over whether spending double what I paid for the camera (once you factor in SSDs and batteries) is a worthwhile investment, but while I could have sold all the m43 gear and bought a Sony, I'd then have to spend a ton of time learning a new camera system, find the pitfalls and ways to get around it, develop new workflows... and that just isn't worth it to me. I know the GH4 well enough now that it won't surprise me when I'm under pressure, having a big screen means I can see what I'm doing, and importantly when we're working fast my client can see as well, so there's no surprises at the end of the day.

Did I mention how good V-Log looks in 10 bit? Because it's GLORIOUS!

I think Vlog with the Atomos and XL Speedbooster gives amazing results, but I also really like it if I expose well to the right when recording internally...plenty of Vlog love here and I paid for it on 2 GH4's...actually answered a feedback request from Panasonic quite harshly, based on what I'd read from other forum members, but I have to say that after using it for a while, I would have given them a better review...

Great work Aaron!
Thanks to your suggestions I started to use V-Log and I'm having fun! I still not use it for client' shot because I'm still testing it, but for my personal things I had very good results outdoor.

Which lenses do you normally use with GH4?

I normally use the Panasonic 12-35, or attach a Speedbooster and use the Sigma 18-35, Rokinon 50 & 85mm.

I normally use the Panasonic 12-35, or attach a Speedbooster and use the Sigma 18-35, Rokinon 50 & 85mm.

Hi Aaron,

You shots look amazing! Not to derail this thread too much, but as somebody with both the Panasonic 12-35 and Sigma 18-35+Speedbooster, is there a marked difference (in picture quality, image stabilization, etc) between those two lens setups? Do you prefer one over the other?

Hi Aaron,

You shots look amazing! Not to derail this thread too much, but as somebody with both the Panasonic 12-35 and Sigma 18-35+Speedbooster, is there a marked difference (in picture quality, image stabilization, etc) between those two lens setups? Do you prefer one over the other?

Thanks. I prefer the image of the Sigma but the 12-35 is outstanding in my opinion. Especially b/c of the image stabilization. If you're going handheld it's a great tool to have. Locked off or tracking shots I usually use the Sigma.

Thank you!! I normally use some Canon FD primes, but lately I started using the 12-40 Olympus and some other m4/3 lenses (25 panasonic/leica and 45 Olympus) and I'm very happy about them, I have to try the 12-35 :)