Well, I sold the 1dc and bought a...

Shield3

Sony FS700 with 2 metabones adapters; the speedbooster and the regular.  Also got the rig to shoulder mount it.

While I loved the 1dc's image, I found most of the things I shoot outdoors I was stopping down to F/8 or even further most of the time.  Oh, and I didn't realize used FS700's were under $3k now for ones with multiple batteries with the 4k upgrade already installed.

Other reason for selling:  I love slow motion.  There, I said it.  240FPS is just too fun.  So are ND filters and XLR inputs.

I will miss that body though.  In the right controlled settings IMO nothing can touch the IQ for less than 15k. 

Price point, Oct 30 2015, USA:

1dc I sold with 2 256GB Komputerbay 1200x cards and 2 128 GB Lexar 1066x cards, plus a spare battery.  +orig box/all accessories (35k clicks) Sold on ebay for $6478.

FS700R (4k firmware) + Camtree Rig + Metabones II + Non-ultra speedbooster + F970 and NP F770 battery + orig box/all accessories (260 hours) = $3180 shipped overnight.

In my view, the 1dc isn't $3300 better than the FS700, and I was worried the 5dIV or 1DX mark 2 would be release anytime and shoot 4k and kill my resale value.

I will pick up a beat up 1d Mark IV to shoot sports.

Thoughts?  Am I having seller's remorse?  :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I would suggest selling it all right now while it still has resale value, and holing up in a cave for the next year. I mean, resale value is what it is all about right, using a tool to shoot your video is just a minor side benefit.

How do some of you people upvote tugela for going on the attack and needlessly acting like a passive-aggressive dickhead to the op? Depressing. Do you regularly go up to strangers and insult them tugela?

How do some of you people upvote tugela for going on the attack and needlessly acting like a passive-aggressive dickhead to the op? Depressing. Do you regularly go up to strangers and insult them tugela?

Good call Flynn. If you take a look at his other posts (not only on this site) he's all about this kind of bottom-feeder behaviour. A sure sign that he's on the road to nowhere.

Very interesting camera progression. I think the different form factor is going to be an interesting adaptation for you.

Were you dissatisfied with the 1DC at all? I admit I do think about selling it for financial reasons but I've been using it quite a bit for work recently and am constantly amazed by the image. To me it doesn't feel like film, and doesn't feel like the super modern Sony image. It's something quite particular, especially colour wise.

I find that, even though I have ups and downs with it, I can talk about this camera endlessly. There's something quite special about it in my view. Still, if Sony were to sort out their colour issues on the A7s and R lines I'd probably move back to them as I like having a small, light and discreet body.

Smart!

This is the camera I plan to upgrade to sometime next year. I feel like when the Ursa finally starts to ship, the resale value of the FS700 will take a serious hit.

Slowly getting prepared for the change. I got paid in USD a few weeks ago and plunked it down on a mix-and-match set of Rokinon/Samyang/Bower T1.5 primes in EF. Originally I was thinking going for the Xeens and pairing it with the Ursa 4.5k in PL but the Sony has way too many more positives.

4K RAW out of this camera at 60 fps or burst 120 fps is really awesome. This guy shared some DNG samples using the Q7 recorder.

I have a thick skin - I thought it was funny, like tongue-in-cheek funny.

Very interesting camera progression. I think the different form factor is going to be an interesting adaptation for you.

Were you dissatisfied with the 1DC at all? I admit I do think about selling it for financial reasons but I've been using it quite a bit for work recently and am constantly amazed by the image. To me it doesn't feel like film, and doesn't feel like the super modern Sony image. It's something quite particular, especially colour wise.

I find that, even though I have ups and downs with it, I can talk about this camera endlessly. There's something quite special about it in my view. Still, if Sony were to sort out their colour issues on the A7s and R lines I'd probably move back to them as I like having a small, light and discreet body.

I was happy with the1dc - loved the image, but didn't feel super emotional about having it.  The workflow was a bit of a pain IMO, but the colors were amazing.  I have a hunch the 5dIV or 1dx mk2 will be announced/released soon and I'll probably get one of those.

I didn't see that much difference stills-wise from the 1dIV in good light, nor the 5d3 (other than the burst speed).  I'm not here to bash the 1dc at all.  There is just something to 240FPS in 1080p that really does it for me. 

• Administrators

1dc I sold with 2 256GB Komputerbay 1200x cards and 2 128 GB Lexar 1066x cards, plus a spare battery.  +orig box/all accessories (35k clicks) Sold on ebay for $6478.

FS700R (4k firmware) + Camtree Rig + Metabones II + Non-ultra speedbooster + F970 and NP F770 battery + orig box/all accessories (260 hours) = $3180 shipped overnight.

$3180 for all that FS700R kit... and I thought the consumer stuff lost value quick. Wow pros really are prepared to dump their old stuff for nothing aren't they!!

The 1D C is also massively undervalued right now.

Both superb deals!

Well done on the FS700... you will need to spend another $2500 on the Odyssey though!

Personally I would take the A7S II over the FS700... the 120fps slow mo is very good and Super 35mm when used with speed booster. The 4K is internal and of course you get the stabiliser, raw stills, EVF and much smaller form factor. The low light is much better too. The FS700 was a bit of a step back for low light over the FS100 due to the bump in megapixels to handle 4K.

I am comparing the 1D C right now to the A7S II and it was tempting to sell, before the inevitable price gorging, however there's just something about that image... the colour is still out in front over the A7S II and it doesn't need so much fiddling in post to get it right.

Smart!

This is the camera I plan to upgrade to sometime next year. I feel like when the Ursa finally starts to ship, the resale value of the FS700 will take a serious hit.

Slowly getting prepared for the change. I got paid in USD a few weeks ago and plunked it down on a mix-and-match set of Rokinon/Samyang/Bower T1.5 primes in EF. Originally I was thinking going for the Xeens and pairing it with the Ursa 4.5k in PL but the Sony has way too many more positives.

4K RAW out of this camera at 60 fps or burst 120 fps is really awesome. This guy shared some DNG samples using the Q7 recorder.

For just the body I have about $2500 in the FS700 - IMO that's already a huge hit from the original MSRP.  There still isn't any S35 or larger sensor body for anywhere near that price that does 240FPS - I doubt in the next year or so it'll drop that much.  The successor is already out, the FS7.  The 1dc's successor isn't out yet.  Both are fantastic cameras and for shooting kids being crazy (I'm not a budding filmmaker) the FS700 works better for me.

$3180 for all that FS700R kit... and I thought the consumer stuff lost value quick. Wow pros really are prepared to dump their old stuff for nothing aren't they!!

The 1D C is also massively undervalued right now.

Both superb deals!

Well done on the FS700... you will need to spend another $2500 on the Odyssey though!

Personally I would take the A7S II over the FS700... the 120fps slow mo is very good and Super 35mm when used with speed booster. The 4K is internal and of course you get the stabiliser, raw stills, EVF and much smaller form factor. The low light is much better too. The FS700 was a bit of a step back for low light over the FS100 due to the bump in megapixels to handle 4K.

I am comparing the 1D C right now to the A7S II and it was tempting to sell, before the inevitable price gorging, however there's just something about that image... the colour is still out in front over the A7S II and it doesn't need so much fiddling in post to get it right.

I thought about the A7s2, but by the time I bought a speedbooster + regular Metabones adapter I'd have had over $1k more in it without any spare batteries.  I get a more stabilized shot with the larger FS700 body, built in ND, XLR audio, and I prefer near FF sized 240FPS over 120FPS @ 2.2x crop.  I can let the FS700 roll along untouched for hours filming my kids' sports and indoor performances - I can't do that with the A7s (may overheat, definite 29 min record limit).

But you're a filmmaker - I am a hobbyist.  The price was right for this deal so I did it.  Had I picked up the A7s2 it'll take a major hit in the next year when the a7s mark 3 is released.  Look at the a7s - I can pick one up for $1500 - $1000 off retail already.

So there's pro's and cons to each.  I'd love the ultra low light of the a7s2, but it's not like the FS700 is bad in low light...:)  Sure like having a built-in handle, loupe for the EVF, ND, XLR, and extended battery and record time.  But yes selling the 1dc was very difficult due to the IQ.

• Administrators

There still isn't any S35 or larger sensor body for anywhere near that price that does 240FPS

I don't know about that dude...

FS700 + Odyssey for the 4K and avoidance of AVCHD = $5500

FS5 = $5600

That does 240fps and 4K is internal, plus the form factor is much nicer, smaller with the electronic vari-ND filter.

If I were to sell my A7S II and 1D C, I'd replace it with the FS5.

However I still think small bodies which do stills are more my 'cup of tea'.

FS5 = $5600

That does 240fps and 4K is internal, plus the form factor is much nicer, smaller with the electronic vari-ND filter.

FS5 according to B&H:

Expected availability: December 04 2015

I can't record anything with the FS5 today can I? :)

• Administrators

No but you could have kept your 1D C one more month surely :)

Anyway I'm very interested to see how you get on with the FS700. Sounds like it will work out very well for you and if you don't need 4K and just got it for slow-mo, it is lovely for that at $3k. Nice deal with all those extras too.

Speed Booster will help in low light and the ND filters will make you wonder how you did without them in the 1D C!!

You can grade S-LOG 2 manually as well, without a LUT. Just adjust the RGB curves in Premiere and then tweak with the Lumetri settings for blacks, highlights, contrast and temperature.

No but you could have kept your 1D C one more month surely :)

Anyway I'm very interested to see how you get on with the FS700. Sounds like it will work out very well for you and if you don't need 4K and just got it for slow-mo, it is lovely for that at $3k. Nice deal with all those extras too.

Speed Booster will help in low light and the ND filters will make you wonder how you did without them in the 1D C!!

You can grade S-LOG 2 manually as well, without a LUT. Just adjust the RGB curves in Premiere and then tweak with the Lumetri settings for blacks, highlights, contrast and temperature.

Thanks Andrew.  I rented the FS700 about a year ago for 3 days - some of my favorite footage I ever took was with that camera.  Do I wish it had the magic color sauce the Canons do?  Sure.  But I can push it around in post and get it pretty close.  On nice thing - I upgrade all our TV's to Vizio 4k this year (well, UHD) and I can go shoot the kids being nuts and watch it back instantly with 1080p slow-mo material.  With the 1dc we had to wait (same with the NX1 I still have).  So, there's that.

I had the a7s for about 8 months - loved it, but the Metabones did not play well in video mode with one my lenses (Sigma C 150-600) - it would only record for seconds then shut off.  I can't have shutoffs, overheating, errors - that drives me nuts.  I need to do long takes too - baseball games, plays, choir, some interviews and music / bands.  This rules out the a7r 2, the 5d3 raw (which I loved) and probably a few other cameras.  Now I can set my gear up and record things and go back to my seat and just watch and enjoy myself.

Just got back from Halloween footage; FS700 + 24-70 F/4.

At ISO 8000 I see very little difference between the low light with the FS700 + Speedbooster and the bare A7s I shot last year.  I showed my wife the footage and she didn't know which was which.  Now above that the A7s obviously gets pretty ridiculous.  I'll attach a 1080p screen capture from both (ungraded).

One of these is a screen capture from the a7s + speedbooster; the other is the a7s + Canon EF 24-70 with regular Metabones.  Both are straight out of the camera 100% ungraded, 1080 captures (not through Photoshop).

01.jpg

02.jpg

FS5 = $5600

I'm interested in FS5 for those reason, but the FS700 offers a lot more than what you listed.

The FS700/7Q does 120 burst at 4k and continuous 4k/60p straight to Pro Res… This is huge for a lot of applications. The FS5 still needs the 7Q to get the 4k Pro Res files, and even then it can only go up to 30p. The 7Q is huge, but is also a great client monitor. That being said, I probably wouldn't use the FS700 without the recorder. 

I have been using the recorder as a counter weight and it works pretty well. I shot a spot with this setup two weeks ago, i'll post it up when it drops if anyone is interested. I was quickly switching from 30p/60p/120p through out the whole day. The slow motion on the camera is lovely. 

Honestly, the size is a bit much, but it impresses clients if that's the situation you're in. The setup is also incredibly reliable. 

IMG_8983.JPG