Bought the Panasonic DVX100 - tried to make it look like super 8

Ed_David

This is a first of a series of test.  The goal is to save money and still shoot stuff that feels like film or vintage-y.  It was my first camera, the dvx100, and this

The DVX100 was my first camera.  I bought it with inherience money.  I was nervous to spend 3k on a camera but my dad told me if it doesn't work out I could sell it.  Well I sold it about probably 7 years ago.  I used it with the redrock micro m2 adapter, then I think a letus extreme adapter.  Then I went to HD with the HVX200.

So I just rebought a Panasonic DVX100 on ebay for $200. Hooked up to an AJA Composite to SDI signal converter then into the Sound Devies PIX 240 which can upres SD to HD!  But I kept the bars and zoomed in resolve for 16x9 - you can crop it via the PIX but it added I think some artificial sharpness.

I shot CINE-D which is the flatest I think (If I can remember Barry Green right) and FLOURESCENT as the matrix - turned sharpness all the way down.  Don't know if there is a way to shoot with less contrast.  Oh well.
In resolve, I put on REC 709 to  Impulz Lut Kodak 5209 50D CINEON color space. Added Gorilla Grain and actually unsharpened it even more.

I messed around a ton with color - has some weird telecine-esque deinterlacing to do since it sends out a signal as 60interlaced.  And just messed around.  I think it feels a lot like super 8mm and bad 16mm and maybe if lucky bad s16mm.  The motion is nice, not too smooth.  Shot at 1/48 shutter.  Anyway it's kind of interesting.

I like super8mm film stock but I don't like how expensive it is to shoot and develop and do a telecine.  Sorry film friends.  This is cheaper and a way to try to make digital feel less like digital.  

Next time I'll put some soft fx over the lens to make it all feel more defracted or that glimmerglass to add some shininess.

Shot this in really crappy light. The last shot I used a astra 1x1 light to make it look a little less poopy. I am putting the dvx100 at 400 ASA up to maybe 640ASA on a good day.  Shot wide open which I think is a 2.8 on the lens.  No idea really.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Cool, looked nice. A bit un-bouncy for s8 but still great.

I fellow named Scott have been working on the same using the D16 and soft lenses etc.

https://youtu.be/9wS1-dP9fNI

Personally I just ordered some s8 Kodak Vision to document me and the GF moving to our house this winter. I usualy use 16mm but this felth like a perfect s8 home movie moment.

Classic camera. I shot two films with the DVX-100. 9 Songs and The Road to Guantanamo and used it for a few bits in A Mighty Heart. This was with the Panasonic 16:9 anamorphic which always was a pain, especially in the desert as it would collect massive amounts of dust. I would have to take it apart each night to give it a clean.

Classic camera. I shot two films with the DVX-100. 9 Songs and The Road to Guantanamo and used it for a few bits in A Mighty Heart. This was with the Panasonic 16:9 anamorphic which always was a pain, especially in the desert as it would collect massive amounts of dust. I would have to take it apart each night to give it a clean.

Hey Marcel,

I always wondered about the shooting of 9 Songs, must have been a rather interesting project to make. Any good stories of your experience?

Hey Marcel,

I always wondered about the shooting of 9 Songs, must have been a rather interesting project to make. Any good stories of your experience?

Rather interesting is a very mild way to put. It was definitely different. You could smell it. 10 years have passed now, but I still remember the first day of shooting on this film very clearly. The rest of the shoot kind of have passed into a self-induced oblivion ;-)

I always loved the DVX. I shot my first feature, and many shorts with the DVX. Even though it's SD, I was surprised by how well it held up when I was remastering my feature in 720p a couple years ago. It had a very natural look. I would have probably kept it if I didn't have to sell it for rent money a couple years ago.