GH4 vs XC10 and the Current Video Camera Landscape as a Whole

Lintelfilm

I've written another article for DesktopDocumentaries.com (as has young Master Ebrahim Saadawi recently - a great breakdown for beginners of what technical features make a camera's video image "good": http://www.desktop-documentaries.com/10-elements-of-a-high-quality-image.html). Mine is an appraisal of the current line-up of "affordable" video cameras on offer, looking specifically in the $2500 region this time (as requested by the site owner) and narrowing it down to a personal choice of the GH4 and XC10: http://www.desktop-documentaries.com/best-documentary-video-camera-2500.html 

It's a long one. Would love to hear your thoughts on any of it ...

Note: A certain member didn't like it when I posted a link to my last article for DD.com. As a previously active member of this forum I'm here to get feedback from my peers and betters - out of personal interest only. No ulterior motives. Please go ahead and tear my article apart as you wish - I expect and even invite that. I will however not respond to personal attacks or comments made by anyone who has clearly not bothered to actually read the article. It's easy enough to ignore this thread if you don't like it so please do so. Thank you.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think it's a necessary article; on that might, among other things, correct the occasionally misguided push towards the large-sensor, shallow-DOF aesthetic.

Two related issues you might want to call out are thermal management (overheating) and maximum clip run-time. For my uses, a lot of maybe great cameras are taken off the table for want of an unlimited (e.g. to card capacity) continuous-take. Neither the GH4 nor XC10, of course, suffers from these issues, and I'm wondering if that played a factor in your choice. Panasonic deserves a lot of credit for being the only (I think) DSLR-style manufacturer to explicitly address these things at the engineering level. I can't imagine buying, say, an A7s II, setting up and simply "hoping" it makes it through the second 29:59 minute cycle. (Shouldn't there be an ISO rating for that sort of thing?)