Feature film shot completely with NX1 and SLR Magic Anamorphot adapters

D.M.Weiss

Thank you Andrew for all of the knowledge you've passed along over the years. We chose the NX1 and SLR Magic Anamorphot adapters, because of your reviews. After some simple tests with different lenses we were able to really dial it in. Here is a link to the trailer. https://vimeo.com/138589715  Check it out, if you get a minute. 

All the Best!

David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Absolutely Marco. We used the Samsung 60mm and 30mm lenses. These two worked the best out of everything we tried. Which honestly surprised me a bit. We used the Blackbird for stabilized motion shots. Manfrotto tripods for our locked down shots. I graded in AE using a combination of Magic Bullets Colorista II, Film Convert, and Adobe lumetri colors. We are pushing things more on the feature and we are using Resolve for some of that. For lighting, Aaron my gaffer used two Arri 300, 650, and a 1k plus Switronix TorchLed lights and Rosco gels and diffusion. Hope this helps. 

Great insights! Thx! So you did not use the log lut by andrew, for nx1? Which were your base settings for the flattest possible profile, in camera? Which iso for indoor shooting?

As to the lenses. 60mm is mechanically coupled for manual focus, but how did you work with 30mm? It's a gorgeous lens, but by-wire focus makes it hardly usable for video, in my experience (but I'm a 'dummy') :-P 

P.s. if you own it, try the 85mm. Gorgeous lens indeed.

No, unfortunately we didn't have his log lut yet and we finished principal photography in May, so we didn't have all of the updates either. I did purchase Andrew's e-book though and it's been great. 

We used the gamma DR for more dynamic range. We occasionally went to 800 ISO, but we were lighting to the subject not the room, so we hardly ever had to go that high. We took sharpness to -7. I found that the -10 sharpness to be too low on a few shots making it hard to find focus. Yeah the 30mm can be a pain, but I really liked the imagery with SLR Magic adapter. We never racked focus, so it wasn't too bad finding the sweet spot. 

Agreed. It looks like a great lens. Thanks Marco!