Shane Meadows using BMCC on This is England '90 (Channel 4, UK)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

He's a big Blackmagic user it seems... he has shot a music video with the BMCC and Pocket before too.

Yeah, I remember a picture of him on the back of a bike with the Pocket.

I read recently, that a lot of "This Is England" is improvised, so not much chance of doing re-takes - catch the moment!

Its nice to see Shane hasn't abandoned the UK for America - would be a shame if they stole all our talent, just to make them do shit films!

• Andrew Reid unfeatured this topic
  • 3 years later...

Watched the movie because of Andrews article a few years ago. Now watching the TV Show and I'm remembering Shane Meadows being mentioned on my favorite video, filmmaking and gear blog for using the BMCC. I am at part three of This is England 88. The Blackmagic episodes gonna follow after that. Cannot wait, old school gem BMCC on a gem of a show! Minis series ist the right term. What an awesome it is.

I just started "This is England 90". Love the characters of the whole series 86, 88 and 90. I liked the film but I love the show. Great direction, stellar acting and characters. After I'm done, which will be a sad moment, I will revise the film again. The series is already one of my absolute personal favorites now. I will reread Andrews whole article now on Shane Meadows and the legendary BMCC.

https://www.eoshd.com/creative-filmmaking/renowned-british-filmmaker-shane-meadows-shoots-jake-bugg-music-video-blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-bmcc/

A beautiful, proud achievement of director and author Shane Meadows and his Co director and the whole team and ensemble.

The whole thing is showing on the streaming site of franco-german tv arte: https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/RC-024379/this-is-england/

Shane Meadows is still planning on doing a final segment set at the turn to this millenium. I hope they will give him green light for this some time soon.