Sony A7S Mark II and Metabones EF to E-Mount IV Focus Issues

Shotup77

Hi everyone

I just received my Sony A7S Mark II a few days ago and I did some tests with the Metabones EF to E-Mount Mark IV Adapter (firmware 0.45).

When I'm shooting still pictures, the autofocus isn't working correctly and I can't capture a sharp image. The focus point travels back and forth a few times and then stops but the image is unsharp.

Regarding to Metabones Support, they haven't tested the Adapter with the A7SM2 yet.

Is anybody able to autofocus with the A7SM2? Am I missing something?

Tested with Canon EF 16-35mm/f2.8 and Canon EF 100mm/f2.8 Macro IS USM

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I tested the IV adapter on the A7S2- the prior firmware was slower and worked somewhat. The latest firmware drives the focus motor crazy fast and never focuses properly.

Focus peaking works much better, however, so manual focus is easier. For autofocus and run & gun I'm using the new Sony FE 24-240 (similar range to the 18-200 on the A7S (crop mode)). Only issue so far is it doesn't focus as close as the 18-200.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got The Same issue impossible to get focus in photo mode with metabones and canon lense, 50mm 1.4, 24-105, 24-70

Impossible to get the video Auto focus works as well ...

super disappointed ... 3k for â caméra Í can even take a photo with

it's crazy that metabones does not do the update ... 

Let me know if you fond solutions

thx

• 5 months later...

I have the Commlite EF adaptor and I got the same exact problem. I can't even rely on the auto focus anymore because every time the camera ( Sony A7SII) locks on focus it's still out of focus. It's real frustrating. I thought maybe the adaptor is faulty and maybe I should get the metabones EF adaptor but looks like you all are having the same problems with metabones. The way I see it from reviews the Sony a7r 2 performs alot better in this case. I hope someone can come up with a solution in this matter. 

47 minutes ago, Curtis Ross said:

Hmm.. I was just about to purchase a A7s2 with Metabones w/ Canon Lens.. And i ABSOLUTLEY NEED autoofocus to work in Video mode... So what you guys are saying is it doesnt work? Someone confirm please...

No, it's bad...and triply so if you're thinking of using Canon lenses with the Metabones adapter - I don't even use auto focus for photography. Invest in a Sony lens if you really need auto focus and think about the A7R2, which by all accounts has better auto focus.

11 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

No, it's bad...and triply so if you're thinking of using Canon lenses with the Metabones adapter - I don't even use auto focus for photography. Invest in a Sony lens if you really need auto focus and think about the A7R2, which by all accounts has better auto focus.

How much different is the video quality on the A7R2 than the A7s2??

10 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

He's right,  if you need to work with canon lenses go with the A7Rii. All my canon lenses work quite nicely with both the A7Rii and A7ii. All other sony camera are not supported.

9 hours ago, DBounce said:

He's right,  if you need to work with canon lenses go with the A7Rii. All my canon lenses work quite nicely with both the A7Rii and A7ii. All other sony camera are not supported.

A7R2 + MB IV + Canon lens = AF video?

A7sII is CADF only, the faster AF achieved by Metabones and others is because of the PADF in the A7rII and a6300. The Fotodiox AF adapter is functional on the A7s, but it's awful compared to the A7rII. 

As far as AF during video, the Sigma MC11 has been shown to work with some lenses on the A7rII. Beyond that you will need a Sony lens if you want AF with video. 

23 hours ago, jcs said:

A7R2 + MB IV + Canon lens = AF video?

AF-c doesn't work with my A7rII and MBIV while shooting video. 

5 hours ago, The Chris said:

A7sII is CADF only, the faster AF achieved by Metabones and others is because of the PADF in the A7rII and a6300. The Fotodiox AF adapter is functional on the A7s, but it's awful compared to the A7rII. 

As far as AF during video, the Sigma MC11 has been shown to work with some lenses on the A7rII. Beyond that you will need a Sony lens if you want AF with video. 

AF-c doesn't work with my A7rII and MBIV while shooting video. 

Too bad i learn that too late.. Oh well. Guess I will have to save up for a sony lens or two...:(

On 7 May 2016 at 4:25 AM, Curtis Ross said:

Too bad i learn that too late.. Oh well. Guess I will have to save up for a sony lens or two...:(

I mean, yeah...but honestly, autofocus. It's alright, but it's not essential. I'm filming a handheld doc at the moment with SLOG3, a variable ND and the Canon 24-105mm...is it challenging? Yeah, sometimes. But it works and I love the results. Pop it to f9 or something and missing focus a little won't be such a huge deal.

7 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

I mean, yeah...but honestly, autofocus. It's alright, but it's not essential. I'm filming a handheld doc at the moment with SLOG3, a variable ND and the Canon 24-105mm...is it challenging? Yeah, sometimes. But it works and I love the results. Pop it to f9 or something and missing focus a little won't be such a huge deal.

True... Ill practice with it a bit

6 hours ago, Curtis Ross said:

True... Ill practice with it a bit

I also have to admit, the 24-105mm L lens from Canon has a lovely little window on the lens that tells you where focus is at, like 3m away, or 10m etc. It's not exact but it does help in some situations. Not sure how many other lenses have that.