Sony A7sII - Overheating in 4k?

User

Any news on this yet?

Edit:

Actually, I just spoke with one of the top private dealers of Sony products here in Berlin. He told me that they have sold more than 80 A7rii cameras and he has not received one report of over heating. He went on to say that he feels that this is some kind of 'internet forum' issue. So yeah.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Not sure about the A7Sii but the "top private dealer" you spoke to is wrong. The A7Rii will overheat but only with extended video recording in UHD. I own one and I would challenge anyone to find a single unit that doesn't overheat. Having said this, most users won't notice it because either they use the camera for stills or record shorter video clips. Our unit overheats in 80°f weather on average at around 25 mins.. We do extended interviews and like the A7Rii for its small size and versatility in the field when we don't want to carry our FS7s. We use a Shogun which eliminates both the overheating issue and the recording time limit restriction.

• Administrators

Any news on this yet?

Edit:

Actually, I just spoke with one of the top private dealers of Sony products here in Berlin. He told me that they have sold more than 80 A7rii cameras and he has not received one report of over heating. He went on to say that he feels that this is some kind of 'internet forum' issue. So yeah.

12MP sensor probably runs cooler than 42MP monster, but will find out sooner rather than later as I am down at the Sony store in Berlin tomorrow to buy the A7S II.

If anyone is doing same, let me know and we shall meet & chat!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

This is THE question. 

If the a7s II is as unreliable as the A7rII in 4K recording with overheating, it'll kill the camera.

If it is reliable, it's going to be a king, especially with the significantly improved colour science Sony put in the A7rII and their newest models vs the A7s yellow/green S-Log2 horridness, which was the only deal breaker for me not getting one my own or shooting it seriously.

Don't overheat + take the A7r II/RX100IV colour science = Be a brilliant f#$&&ing FF camera...

Here they claim no overheating (but did not test in the same conditions) 

Don, the video you attached is Tony Northrop's first video. He took the camera to Machu Picchu and posted a second video where he comments on the overheating issues. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxxKAJtBnhA.

Hopefully the smaller sensor on the A7Sii will not have this issue.

This is THE question. 

If the a7s II is as unreliable as the A7rII in 4K recording with overheating, it'll kill the camera.

If it is reliable, it's going to be a king, especially with the significantly improved colour science Sony put in the A7rII and their newest models vs the A7s yellow/green S-Log2 horridness, which was the only deal breaker for me not getting one my own or shooting it seriously.

Don't overheat + take the A7r II/RX100IV colour science = Be a brilliant f#$&&ing FF camera...

"Color science" is a made up term, no one really knows what it means.

It certainly has nothing to do with science. Art in the eyes of the beholder maybe, but science, no.

I tink what Tugela means is that what we call "science" is just a subjective feeling we have toward the color rendering of a sensor/camera - and our feeling isn't always connected to the scientific exactitude of this "science" but more about a "color style" that we appreciate or not...

12MP sensor probably runs cooler than 42MP monster, but will find out sooner rather than later as I am down at the Sony store in Berlin tomorrow to buy the A7S II.

If anyone is doing same, let me know and we shall meet & chat!

Damn, was confirming the country's beer reinheitsgebot last night so I'm off to a late start. I look forward to your comments and insights.