Understanding ETC (Extra Tele Conversion) mode on GH3

funkytwig

Hi, have been reading about ETC mode and first thought it created x2 tele so had a look at manual whitch says

On page 119 of the manual (PDF @ http://tda.panasonic-europe-service.com/docs/2z50dc92e0z3z37e7ez656ez706466z22z7c1b734e6d4dd10b6a378591305e4a83aa750008/tsn2/data/ALL/DMCGH3EG/OI/898680/vqt4m64.pdf) it says:

When recording motion pictures: 2.4

and has the following footnote

When recording quality setting [FHD/25p], [FHD/24p], [FHD/25p/ ] or [FHD/24p/ ] is selected:

When [HD/25p] is selected, Extra Tele Conversion factor will change to 3.6k.

When [VGA/25p] is selected, Extra Tele Conversion factor will change to 4.8k.
Pictures cannot be enlarged by using Extra Tele Conversion in the following conditions (1k).

• When [FHD/50p], [FHD/50i], [HD/50p/ ] is set.

• When [Frame Rate] is set to [40% ] or [48% ].

• [Toy Effect] (Creative Control Mode)

So I guess it is saying we get 2.4 when using "[FHD/25p], [FHD/24p], [FHD/25p/ ] or [FHD/24p/ ]" so 20mm becomes 48mm. Is this correct?

So I then looked in the manual for a definition of what FHD is, with out any luck;(.  Anyone know what FHD is?

Ben

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Any mode that does 50P or 60P is not usable with EX Tele mode.  This is 1080P or 720P.  Slow motion (in camera) modes are also disabled with EX Tele mode.  FHD is quicktime MOV mode, HD is AVCHD.  If you're going to use your Fujinon lens, then you will need to do EX Tele mode because of the vignette.  But remember that focus is an issue as well as the increased noise.

Thanks, in terms of increased noise I would imagine this is only an issue if you mount microphone directly on the camer, easily solved by using a rig or a bracket.  I am told the adapter has been moded so I get infinity focus (is this what you mean by focus issues). 

Ben

Yes noise in the image/video.  By using a smaller portion of the sensor, you increase the signal/noise ratio immensely, like 4-5 times.  Also, the image you see on the screen looks like a bad digital zoom, so focus is difficult.  This goes away when you hit record, but if you try and pre-focus, well it is difficult.  I usually do my best before, then fine tune after hitting record.  I guess you don't have the GH3 yet, but when you do you will understand.  Not a deal-breaker, but just something you get used to.  And this is the same with the GH2.