Does tiffen variable ND cause IR pollution?

Turboguard

So earlier this summer I got an IR/UV cut for my BMPCC and I've been loving it, but after some shoots the past months I keep seeing this extremely annoying red tint to all my footage which is almost impossible to get rid off unless I desaturate the red/magenta channels. I hate it! BUT, it's only visible in the shots where I've had my tiffen variable ND on. Is that really the cause? I've stacked the ND on top of the cut filter, if that makes any difference, not so techy. 

I also saw that there's variable ND's WITH ir cut. Do I need to get a new ND?

I did find the thread earlier discussing this but there wasn't really any talk about still getting such extreme pollution. Again, should I just invest in a Genus eclipse or SLR Magic? I'm sooooo tired of this haha

Edit: So this is the Tiffen I own, and here's the two others. Genustech is CHEAPER, so I could prob hand off my Tiffen for 100 bucks and get it plus make some cash. You guys with personal experience of these, please let me know.

Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 9.57.31 AM.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I use Tiffen filters in conjunction with the the BMPCC, and yes they are lousy with IR pollution. However, I stack them with Hoya IR/UV cut filter and it seems to get rid of the brownish/red tint. I've tried different stacking orders, but it didn't seem like they made a difference, the IR pollution seem to be cut regardless. Not sure what IR filter you are using, but maybe it's not enough to block the IR pollution.just_tiffen.thumb.jpg.b470197c0df8eda3a3

Just Tiffen variable filter. 

tiffen_stacked_on_hoyaIRcut.thumb.jpg.69

Tiffen stacked on top of the Hoya IR/UV cut.

ND's are mysterious on the BMPCC because sometimes they cause a ton of pollution and sometimes they don't. For me the Hoya seems to mitigate it decently. 

I do have the Hoya one as well. It works without the filter amazingly but the second I use the ND it comes back. It's always different though depending on how much ND I use, so some images are great, while others are completely ruined.

You can't stress test an IR filter unless you use an ND filter.  I use my BMPCC without an IR filter and it seems to be okay.  I haven't done any formal tests.  I stack my Hoya UV/IR cut filter on top of my Tiffen Variable ND.  So when I take the variable ND off the IR filter automatically comes off as well.  It's not really a conscious choice I made.  It is just convenient.  I have no recollection of really noticing which shots use the Tiffen Variable ND IR combo and which don't.  Obviously because of the polarization some of the variable ND shots stand out but there are quite a few that are indistinguishable to the casual observer.  Doesn't mean they are perfect.

My experience is the same as EJ Massa.  Post some pictures and show us what you are experiencing.

Also the filters you listed in the OP are different sizes.  And the price of filters seems to move around quite a bit for whatever reason.  I know I've seen the Tiffen 77mm variable ND for $70 after $30 rebate in the B&H deal zone recently.  I personally paid $109 for my 77mm filter about a year ago.  I wouldn't pay $139 for a new 72mm Tiffen Variable ND and I certainly wouldn't buy one used for $100.

I shot one piece without an IR/UV cut filter & the colour cast (a dull Red/Muddy tone) was a real pain to get rid of/reduce - not impossible or anything, but just took quite a while to do it (the results weren't perfect, but acceptable). Not using an IR/UV cut filter is not a good idea with the BMPCC.

I use the Hoya IR/UV with the Genustech Eclipse & this combo works just fine.

Over at BMCuser, there's a whole thread devoted to this issue (really worth a read) & people have been raving about the SLR Magic Vari ND - but as you've seen its more expensive.

Here's a small thread on the SLRMagic VariND (there's a new version out or coming):

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?11193-SLRMagic-Vari-ND-thread&highlight=ir%2Fuv+filter

Couldn't find the 50 page thread about IR cut & vari NDs quickly, but worth a search.

The new SLR Magic ND screws on no differently than my Tiffen and its superior in every aspect. This came to no surprise for me as they're constantly participating in forums and evolving their products largely based on community feedback. Definitely a company I stand by. I emailed SLR directly (support@slrmagic.com) and had the new model (with polarization control) in my hands within the week. Amazing

Wow, this really confused me. So depending on how I put my ND filter on, it will have different polarizing effects? I'm so confused... My tiffen just screws on as it is... Gah, little help here guys, please....

One option that has been suggested is to buy a really cheap old polarizer ring, knock out the glass & use that under the ND Filter to dial in the polarizer & fader effects individually - you dial in the ND & then use the empty polarizer ring to dial out the polarizing contamination.

Good to remember that the NDs polarizer effect will be most noticeable on skin tones & also, the stronger you dial in the ND, the stronger the IR pollution effect will be - IR cut filter will help with this.

Heliopan & SLR Magic are two makes of Vari ND that don't suffer from this polarizing effect.

It is confusing, but try the polarizer ring solution to see if that works (save you money if it works) & put your Hoya IR/UV on at all times.

Yeah. I agree. For flexibility there's nothing much nicer to have than a VND in front of course, but for the times when you can, especially for more professional level shoots in controlled environments, just use either a clip-on or rod system mattebox with ND's or circular ND rings with indeed the magnetic Xume system. Caleb had some insightful videos on that... http://dslrvideoshooter.com/filters-video-part-filter-types-uses/ & http://dslrvideoshooter.com/filters-video-part-ii-matte-boxes-lens-accessories/ .

• Super Members

I've personally given up on variable nd, the uncontrollable polarization and the wierd color cast is just not worth it. Get some fixed nd filters from hoya and those magnetic filter adapters (cant remember what they are called) and you have a very fast and conisistent setup.

Xume?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfplwqaxyFI