best way to deal with sunlight with the gh2?

craigbuckley

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The built-in EVF is the best. It is even better than the Zacuto EVF, and way better than the EVF of the GH3. But: 

> the eyepiece doesn't cover the eye.

> you can't press the camera close enough to the face to get extra stabilization during shooting video.

My self-built solutions were:

Handgriff.jpg

This is a rubber piece you put beneath your bathroom sink and the tube (I didn't know the correct german name, let alone the english name). It costs cents and needs to be cut at the backside to fit over the GH2s eyepiece. However, the rubber is not very soft, so it doesn't feel comfortable. Later I did this:

Griff1.jpg

This is the eyepiece of an ancient Super 8 camera that was sold on ebay as defect. The camera was 1€, the shipping 3€.

I do hope you remember the correct name of example one because it's brilliant (I do speak german as well, being dutch ;-)) 

I do hope you remember the correct name of example one because it's brilliant (I do speak german as well, being dutch ;-)) 

It was "Glockendichtung", but you won't find the correct item via Google. My advice is, go to a local hardware store, sanitary equipment department, look out for items that look appropriate. If it is sorted the same way, you may find three sizes, buy them all, they cost next to nothing and try to make them fit at home.

I find that in bright light siturations changing from my right to left eye helps a lot. Though overall I am far more comfortable using my right eye. I have found that all cameras I have ever used from OM1, Bolex H8RX, Nikon D5100 and GH2 never seem to cater for glasses wearers. Where you get more light leak affecting both the clarity of the viewfinder image and where applicable the exposure. And with my extreme prescription cannot simply use the diopter adjustment and remove my glasses!