EOSHD's top 5 cameras of 2012

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Andrew, what is this news on the EM-5 getting an update with video benefits? I was pretty attracted to that camera when it first came out, but (as you have mentioned) the video quality is lacking and that kept me away. 

Also, you've used one, right? Perhaps you could clear up something that I was never able to find a straight answer for: does the EM-5 use 5-axis image stabilization in video mode, or not? 

So happy to see the RX100 on this list. It is certainly not the best performer but I think for its price point exhibits the most innovation and progression in camera technology this year. I wish the RX1 would have followed suit with a zoom lens, but I really what Sony has done with the "RX" line so far and hope to see more. 

No nikon D800?
You can push the footage a lot further than a 5DM3.

Andrew is not a Nikon guy, I would defiantly put this in place of the 5D3, It does has clean HDMI out, is cheaper cost wise and has a nice built feel in your hands. Canons to me feel to plastic y. I do like the Canon colour profiles and I'm hoping this is where Nikon will make some improvements.

• Administrators

No nikon D800?
You can push the footage a lot further than a 5DM3.

Can't feature something I've not shot with regularly. Also there are small things that stopped it from reaching the top 5 like:

- Lens mount isn't as adaptable as Canon (can't use my Contax Zeiss on it for example)

- Mild moire & aliasing

Still, I'm tempted to switch.

My personal top cams:

1. BMCC - just the closest I can imagine getting to an ARRI Alexa at my budget level.

2. Nikon D800 - Just a gorgeous image in terms of Dynamic Range and Highlight handling.  Color is highly editable using the HDMI signal.  Full Frame aesthetic.  FX and DX modes.  Also great stills camera as well.

3. Panasonic GH3 - overall great package.  Nice clean and detailed image.  Strong codec and best bang for buck camera of all.

4. Canon 5DMKIII - Excellent low light camera.  A bit soft, but still overall solid camera if doing scenes with actors rather than buildings.  The way most people doing narrative work use cameras this camera should fit the bill.

5. Olympus OMD EM5 - SOOOOO close to being a great camera.  Have to hope for 24p or a hack.

Also agree about the GoPro Hero 3, Sony RX100 and C100.  I'd also add Camcorders like the Panasonic AG-AC90 and Sony CX760v as useful tools to round out the kit and augment one of the cameras above.

Mr. Reid
How can you include the BMCC as a contender in 2012 when it's not shipped ??

Does anyone have a firm ship date??

Anyone recall how long it took RED to ship Scarlet???

So in reality, #1 in 2012 is the GH3

If the BMCC even ships in 2013, we can probably say it has an edge over anything shipping in Q1, Q2 or Q3 2013 ;)

attachicon.gifdpr poll.jpg

Interesting results of the poll at DPR. A lot of love for Olympus but not much for Sony and Canon.

Telling.

Yea but DPR is now mostly amatuer pixel peepers. Once Phil sold out to Amazon, that was it. Besides, DPR has got to be 95% still shooters doing travel and flowers and for that the Olympus OMD EM5 seems to be the best, I sure would prefer it if I was still shooting stills.

D800 is littered with moire and aliasing.... Surely that negates any plus points (and yes, for nature and shots you can avoid the aliasing/moire, it has a beautiful image).

Canon get alot of stick... but Nikon are the real no-show in this... They could completely dominate

I used Nikon all my life it seems. Sad they didn't jump on the video bandwagon sooner. Still, ANYONE can deliver me my dream camera, since NO ONE has done it yet ;)

It's not like RED where NO ONE had a Scarlet for years.   From what i've read it seems they're going to start shipping in greater quatity soon.  Besides we all know what time it is.  That camera is amazing at that price point.  Nothing else near it can compare to what you can do with it shooting RAW.

As for Nikon.  I think that it's been underrated just how nice the image can be from that camera.  The Dynamic Range is really good and with the exception of low light shooting and some Aliasing and Moire issues, it's a really pleasing image.  The Mosaic Filter seems to be the answer to the Aliasing and Moire, so really the only weakness is the low light aspect, but even then it should be fine in most situations save for really dark scenarios where you can't use lights.  That's not going to be an issue for everyone.  The extra edge goes to the stunning photo quality you get as well.  IMO a top notch Hybrid Camera.