I tried to make a trailer...

Turboguard

For my upcoming zero dollar horror short. I learned that making trailers is really hard! What do I add, what do I not add etc.

Let me know what you guys think. 

Also, color is not final, it's not even started! And if someone has some good tips on how to save the footage while she's jogging from being so extremely shaky (as you can see warp stabilizer is really fucking up the image) please let me know! 

Thanks y'all!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KALsx-HDJjE I think this might help resolve the warping

Wow, thanks man! I mean, my footage is insanely shaky, I sat in the trunk of a car and had zero stabilization, not even IS on lens, but I'm going to try this!

I'd suggest changing the name to something that doesn't immediately remind me of the 2006 sandra bullock romantic comedy lol. 

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0410297/

Vimeo isn't working for me right now but I'll check it out soon.

Haha didn't know about this either, original working title was "Casa Sul Lago", so we'll see what happens once I'm done! 

It looks great. Suspenseful. From what I saw, the acting looks pretty good. I agree that maybe it could be a little longer, but all in all good job. I actually like the color the way it is. What camera did you shoot this on?

Thanks man! I shot it on the BMPCC, but having used it another year and finally got around to buying an IR/UV cut, I'm a little sad to see how much I could have saved the image if only I'd buy it earlier. I need to look into a method of reducing ir pollution. The whole thing was shoot natural/practical lights and only using the Sigma 18-35mm. 

Here's some behind the scenes stuff with a grade I made earlier this year. Might try to match it up when I continue the project!

Yeah that looks great too. It has an isolated feel to the color tone, or at least that's the mood I got from it. I love the BMPCC... If only I could get my stupid NX500 to look like that.

Btw, I forgot to mention before... I really liked the shot of your lead running in the snow, the contrast of her black running gear with the white snow is great. I assume that's a piece of a longer opening? And yeah that Sigma is a nice lens!!!

But what I liked about the trailer, is it felt like I could be watching a trailer for a feature, and it seems, from what I saw, you have all the ingredients to expand it. Great location, good actors, good equipment (I'm a big fan of practical lighting as well) and an isolated, contained thriller plot. 

Looking forward to seeing the finished short!

I like it the way it is too! if it's already a short, it might be hard to make a 2 minute trailer for it. maybe a second teaser about this length for marketing? maybe you could hide the "monster" 's face if that's a big moment in the film or to keep more mystery in the trailer. Also, maybe the stuttering effect is a little cliche for a horror trailer, but it does work. Maybe see if you can ease up on it, or maybe skipping frame after the stutter could make it look more professional? Mostly just throwing stuff out there. I liked the color as well. maybe it helps the horror genre for it to look a little flatter and ungraded like that, giving it almost a found footage sort of realism (though clearly it was shot well from like an omniscient perspective and far from a handycam feel). if that makes sense.

really impressive! good luck!

I like it the way it is too! if it's already a short, it might be hard to make a 2 minute trailer for it. maybe a second teaser about this length for marketing? maybe you could hide the "monster" 's face if that's a big moment in the film or to keep more mystery in the trailer. Also, maybe the stuttering effect is a little cliche for a horror trailer, but it does work. Maybe see if you can ease up on it, or maybe skipping frame after the stutter could make it look more professional? Mostly just throwing stuff out there. I liked the color as well. maybe it helps the horror genre for it to look a little flatter and ungraded like that, giving it almost a found footage sort of realism (though clearly it was shot well from like an omniscient perspective and far from a handycam feel). if that makes sense.

really impressive! good luck!

Thank you! I did an assembly cut of half of the shots and it was already 12min, I'm just very slow in my story telling I think, the script was five pages! It's so hard to work on something personal all alone from pre to post, but you guys are really making me wanna finish this now, so thanks!

Thank you! I did an assembly cut of half of the shots and it was already 12min, I'm just very slow in my story telling I think, the script was five pages! It's so hard to work on something personal all alone from pre to post, but you guys are really making me wanna finish this now, so thanks!

Dang, as I'm sure you know, in screenwriting, a page equals a minute of screen time. So, if you have  5 pages for 24 minutes, with another 10 pages of script, you'd have a short, 72 minute feature. 

And yes, it's a thankless, lonely process. With the short I have up in the screening room, I think I bored my girlfriend to death making her rewatch the most minute of changes.

And screenplays are even worse, you spend hundreds of hours working on a script and when it's done, you send it off to some contests, or ask some friends or family to read it and then maybe in a few months you'll hear from the contest, or maybe a friend will say... "I liked it," or "I haven't gotten to it yet." At times it seems like an arbitrary exercise of masochism. 

yeah, the page length rule can vary, especially if it's a lot of stage direction and less dialogue. a huge monologue will throw it off too. it's a weird thing, but to me it doesn't really matter how long it ends up

Definitely keep at it! I'd be excited to see it. seems like you've got talent, resources, decent script, and good actors that might be hard to get again with no budget or at least not a lot of proof you're good. take advantage of it