User experiences on SmallHD 500 serie / Atomos Ninja Assassin

Teemu

I have hard time deciding which one to get SmallHD 500 serie monitor or Atomos Ninja Assassin for my GH4.

At the moment I have been using Marshall VLCD-50 5" monitor as a external monitor. But I am not so happy about it's color accuracy and resolution. I would like to upgrade for a better and trustful monitor. So things I am looking for the monitor to have:

-colors that you can trust

-good resolution

-LUT capability

-Anamorphic de-squeeze

-compact size

I think on paper SmallHD wins and ticks more of those needed features vs Ninja Assassin. But soon I'll upgrade my GH4 with V-LOG then the atomos Ninja Assassin would be great for 10-bit recording. I am hoping to hear user experiences about these products from people who own or have used them. Hope to hear goods and bads on both, thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'll be able to give you a verdict this week. I own a 502 and have an Assassin on order (for GH4 VLog).

great! I'll be waiting to hear your comments later! quick question: how useable 502 monitor is outside without hoods? 

In other words is it "glassy" material (=almost useless) or more like "matte" or something  i know Atomos is quite useless without hoods outside, like an ipad outside. Works as a mirror to style your hair :d

great! I'll be waiting to hear your comments later! quick question: how useable 502 monitor is outside without hoods? 

In other words is it "glassy" material (=almost useless) or more like "matte" or something  i know Atomos is quite useless without hoods outside, like an ipad outside. Works as a mirror to style your hair :d

The 502 is more matte (somewhat reflective). With a hood it's perfect. I've even used it without a hood outside in shade.

Have you seen the 702 high bright? It looks ideal if you don't need a recorder.

The 502 is more matte (somewhat reflective). With a hood it's perfect. I've even used it without a hood outside in shade.

Have you seen the 702 high bright? It looks ideal if you don't need a recorder.

Yes, I have noticed the 702. But it is also bigger (Yes, Atomos that I talked earlier is also and that's clear downside for me) I like to keep gear as compact and easy of use as possible. In my experience if it's too big and crumble some it will be in my camera bag all day long in location shoot... :/

Sad they invented that display until 702 model. Would be perfect if 500 series had that bright display also.

Have you used anamorphic de-squeeze on 502. Does that make 5" monitor too small/hard to judge focus and composition?

Yes, I have noticed the 702. But it is also bigger (Yes, Atomos that I talked earlier is also and that's clear downside for me) I like to keep gear as compact and easy of use as possible. In my experience if it's too big and crumble some it will be in my camera bag all day long in location shoot... :/

Sad they invented that display until 702 model. Would be perfect if 500 series had that bright display also.

Have you used anamorphic de-squeeze on 502. Does that make 5" monitor too small/hard to judge focus and composition?

I have used the anamorphic desqueeze. It's not hard to judge focus or composition. The colors and detail on the 502 are outstanding.

Okay so I've had a day or so to play around with the Assassin. I have to say I'm very impressed. It's way lighter than I was expecting. Touch screen is something that i love as well. The menus are very easy to navigate and pull up. The only 2 advantages that the 502 has over the Assassin is weight (very light) and color accuracy (barely). I'm thinking that I'll only be using the 502 as a monitor for the Micro Cinema Camera and occasionally the C100.

Anamorphic desqueezing is much easier to active on the Assassin by the way.

Okay so I've had a day or so to play around with the Assassin. I have to say I'm very impressed. It's way lighter than I was expecting. Touch screen is something that i love as well. The menus are very easy to navigate and pull up. The only 2 advantages that the 502 has over the Assassin is weight (very light) and color accuracy (barely). I'm thinking that I'll only be using the 502 as a monitor for the Micro Cinema Camera and occasionally the C100.

Anamorphic desqueezing is much easier to active on the Assassin by the way.

nice to hear that you are impressed and happy for the purchase! You are making the decission hard for me...

How about the screen? How reflective is it outside? What kind of solution do you have to cover Atomos frrom sunlight? I have understood there isn't any hoods shipped with it?

Batterylife on Atomos and SmallHD? I guess SmallHD wins 'cause smaller screen and it is just a monitor.

nice to hear that you are impressed and happy for the purchase! You are making the decission hard for me...

How about the screen? How reflective is it outside? What kind of solution do you have to cover Atomos frrom sunlight? I have understood there isn't any hoods shipped with it?

Batterylife on Atomos and SmallHD? I guess SmallHD wins 'cause smaller screen and it is just a monitor.

You'll need a hood for the best viewing brightness outside,unless you're in the shade. The Assassin is a little more reflective. Battery life is hard to judge b/c I used 2 Canon batteries on the 502 and one giant Sony battery for the Assassin.

You'll need a hood for the best viewing brightness outside,unless you're in the shade. The Assassin is a little more reflective. Battery life is hard to judge b/c I used 2 Canon batteries on the 502 and one giant Sony battery for the Assassin.

Hi Aaron! So have you had time with the Atomos Ninja Assassin? Any new comments and how you feel about it after some hours with it?

Hi Aaron! So have you had time with the Atomos Ninja Assassin? Any new comments and how you feel about it after some hours with it?

Yes I really like it. The jump from 5"-7" is a big plus. The weight is a non issue. I'm getting 2 hrs off of each Sony battery. I would recommend it over the 502 (unless you want SDI and super lightweight).

Well, I just did my decission and bought Ninja Assassin. Got this opportunity to buy it a little cheaper as "used" (actually never used) so it was even easier decission. But thanks for updating and telling your comments Aaron. I'll get back after some use about how I like it.