Canon 1DC - What's a Good Deal?

User

Hello Folks, I was headed towards the C100 MKii but just got an offer on a mint 1DC for 4500 euro. This price is offset by 1000 euro for a 5DM2 I would part with in the exchange.

Less than 1000 shutter actuations, no media cards, 1 battery.

For the work I do, I would need at least 3-4 more batteries then I'd probably want two 512gb card$. Then some kind of monitor so I can focus during run and gun etc. Part of me wants to believe I won't need any monitor but I think I'd be fooling myself, especially in 4k.

There are a great many reasons for and against but does anyone think this is a decent deal in light of new cameras that are already available or coming soon?

Hard to know what to do? How-a-bout you?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

First to answer the title, it's a perfect price. How did you find that deal?!

How is it going to be a 1000£ offset with a used 5DII? unless you 5DII is selling for 3500£ I can't see how that would happen. Do you mean a 3000£ offset?

Anyway aside from this, the cameras. First question you're going to have to ask yourself, is

-What's my budget?

Can you afford the 4500£ plus 2 batteries (350 USD), 4 256GB 1000+x CF cards (1400 USD) (No 512GBs AFAIK), total of about two thousand USD over the body. If you can, read the next

-Is it the camera for me?

Depends only on the type of shooting you'll use it for. 1DC = music videos, commercials, short/feature films, studio work, controlled environments, while the C100II = documentaries, events, news, concerts, broadcast, run'gun shoots in general. The 1DC will give you a better image on a short film, the C100 is going to give you a better image (in focus!) in a spontaneous wedding.

Compared to the C100II, the 1DC has a larger sensor (shallower DOF), 4K resolution, much more grading-robust codec, coupled with a s35 1080p mode that's identical to the C100 image. While the C100II will give you that 4-hour running cheap/small batteries, dirt cheap SD cards, unlimited recording times (due to many facts including battery, memory, heating management), much better usable internal Audio with XLRs/phantom power/knobs, an articulating screen with focus/exposure aids, a great EVF, top handle, 15 more buttons, autofocus that works, in short a much better video camera ergonomically to shoot with, yet IQ IS lower than the 1DC. If only they'd jam the 1DC sensor in there and compete with the FS7!

-So, is the C100II HD image enough? go for it, it's a better body. Is the 1DC IQ jump & it's weather sealing & stills ability vital for your work, go with it. It's that simple.

***Many will put in weight/stealth into account but you hold both they're practically the same size and footprint. 

Ebrahim. You sir, are the voice of reason. I've come to really appreciate your insights and observations in the short time I've been active in this forum.

For clarification the 1DC is 5500 euro and I would give them my 5DM2 to knock 1000 euro off the price.

I absolutely agree with everything you've said here. 100%. There problem is that I have fallen in love with the 1DC image but want it to come from the C100's form factor. No easy solutions I'm afraid. What I'm constantly trying to figure out is what do I have to do get the 1DC to give some of the C100's functionality without it becoming too cumbersome? I've seen some of what others have done to their 1DC cameras, problem is that you just don't know how everything will go until you have it all in front of you and then use it for some time to understand if you can not only live with it, but enjoy it. Decisions decisions.

And thanks again Ebrahim for your wonderful and humane insight into all things on this site :)

Ibrahim and User

I had the 1Dx and loved it .... 

Now the C100 Mk II ... I use it without the handle with ... mainly manual focus Nikon mount lenses ... with a Wooden Camera quick release for

video tripod use ... it is smaller and much more ergonomically friendly than any DSLR. I passed on the Leica S007 with 4K gave up my Sony A7s

... color issues and love the files from the C100 Mk II.

Truth be told ... the day the Canon 1Dc II arrives your investment is toast. No one will give you what you paid for it ... 1000 exposures is nothing

but ask yourself why are they selling it.

Biggest problem with the C100 is the ability to capture amazing amount of file with minimal effort ... so you need a big computer to deal with 

4K files but with the C100 you will have 10 times the video in focus and correct exposure to deal with ... without thinking about it. Those NDs 

are to die for ISO starting at 850 ... unlimited higher range. My sense is that glass is golden and sensors will improve... buy what will work camera wise and 

invest in the best lenses you can find. They rarely depreciate like the cameras. Makes more sense to me to buy a C100 and a discounted BMPC 4k 

for when you just have to say I got more real estate than I know what to do with....

This video convinced me that the original C100 and the Mk II were sufficient ...

Bob

Antonis, Bob, Franz... all fantastic info. Really. I really appreciate your thoughts here, good points all around. Maybe it's time for me to pull back a little bit to consider the 'actual' work that is in front of me over the next year and the best way to approach it, and with what tools. More to follow, I'm sure.

Thanks to everyone here such a great batch of people here!

I will tell you as a 1dc owner it's tough to get super deep DOF with the 1dc.  I've shot the 16-35 F/4 @ F/16 and it still blows the background out a bit.  The colors and skin tones are just wonderful - the 1dc is magic fairy dust especially after you grade it a bit.  Lots of data in those 500 M/bit files, and they grade quite nicely.

The regular 1080p FF mode is pretty lousy, but the 4k scaled to 1080 and the s35 mode are great.  I've gotten decent results with the 1080p60 and quite a bit of sharpening - it's the main knock on this camera.

If Canon were smart, they'd put the 1dc sensor inside a 70d body and add the DPAF system - with a touch screen.  It'd be killer.

Thank you for jumping in here Shield. Good points you raise. Some might say it's hard to find a sub 10k camera that handles colour and skin tones as well as this one does.

I will tell you as a 1dc owner it's tough to get super deep DOF with the 1dc.  I've shot the 16-35 F/4 @ F/16 and it still blows the background out a bit. 

I've heard Dave Dougdale say the same with his 5DM2 when comparing with a GH4. Does anyone have a reason why could this be?

Thank you for jumping in here Shield. Good points you raise. Some might say it's hard to find a sub 10k camera that handles colour and skin tones as well as this one does.

I've heard Dave Dougdale say the same with his 5DM2 when comparing with a GH4. Does anyone have a reason why could this be?

Huge ass sensor is why!