Lenses for Kowa on S35?

Caleb Genheimer

Hey, all! 

I am back to shooting some anamorphic now that I have a Rangefinder, but I've been out of it a while, and I'm curious as to what lenses you all prefer (taking lenses), especially on the "wide" side. I have a 40mm Konica Hexanon that works ok, but it is very sloppy and wobbles the image. It was sharp enough for HD, but now I'm doing some 4K stuff. 

One I've been looking at is Voigtlander's 40mm f2. It is a pancake design like the Konica, but I suspect it's a much better lens.

thoughts?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm going to assume you're talking about the Kowa for B&H.

Vintage lenses tend to better with anamorphics - single coatings & more character etc...

Modern lenses tend to be too sterile, but its your own taste that matters.

Nikkor lenses are great - there is a 40mm (never tried it), but the 50mm f1.8 pancake is worth it.

I originally paired it with the Zeiss ZE 50mm f1.4 & that worked v.nicely.

But the king of taking lenses for anamorphic adaptors is still the Helios 44-2 58mm f2 - can't be beaten.

+1 for vintage and for Helios 44-2 recommendation...it is a perfect pairing for so many anamorphics.

Nikkor's can be good (older non Ai versions) as most have warm, non MC coatings that compliment warm flaring lenses such as iscomorphot s8/16 - iscorama - kowa B&H etc. Downside is that when stopped down most Nikkor's have hexagonal aperture, cutting into the oval bokeh shape caused by the anamorphic up front.

Helios 44 has a nice round aperture throughout stops due to blade shape/number (usually 8, or 13 on early silver versions)