First Job using using Luts C&C are very welcome :D

ricardo_sousa11

Hey Everyone,

Last month I finished editing my last job with my T3i (since then i've upgraded to the Nx1), most of my jobs are weddings, even though I like doing some of them, I'm burnt from having quite a few this summer. So I've been doing some tests lately with Luts and finally decided to grade a job with it, I very much liked the end result, got a "cinematic" feel, but theres always room for improvement, so I'd like to know what you guys think of the video in general (editting, grading, filming and so on).

Password : Memoryshop

Thank you guys :d 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Beautiful grade and great footage, you're movement with the camera is impeccable. How are getting it so smooth? I still struggle with the ole handheld sliding motion but you look to have gotten it nailed.

Thank you very very much :d Glad you enjoyed it.

This was all filmed hand held, I believe walking with a monopod and tripod/slide is too troublesome and heavy, and I cant afford a steadycam, although I believe having a shoulder rig is a good option. So all the shots are actually stabilized in Premiere CC, and if I need a more advanced stabilization method, I use Mercalli. I believe having wide lenses help quite a lot (I use a 24mm and a 50mm), I tried using an 85mm and a 135mm but it was impossible to get smooth action.

Looks great, I can't believe you shot this on a t3i. I find your offset a bit high though: the blacks are all dark gray without really adding any detail, but may be that is part of the look you wanted.

Wow, such great response ! Thank you all :d 

It was indeed shot on a T3i, I still think this is an amazing camera if you put decent glass in front of it.

I agree with you, the blacks are dark grayish without detail (not enough DR), but it was an artistic choice, I just liked how it looked in the end.

Gear is important, but not as important as we think sometimes, its hard not to get "drunk" with all the gear talk, upgrades and all that, more DR, more resolution, more detail. Most of my gear is "beginnerish", and im glad it is, having quite a short selection of lenses (just the 24mm Samyang and the Canon 50mm f1.8) made me very comfortable with them and the FOV. 

Of course its a bit uncomfortable, when you get to a job and guests have better gear than you, but hey, what matters is the end product :)

Most of my gear is "beginnerish"... what matters is the end product 

I'm with you.  I've been shooting gigs for a few years now where I certainly don't look "pro" on location, and quite honestly I don't want to; there's more things to worry about for the jobs I do.

I've played the game where I "dress up" for a client and bring along more stuff.  While I can do it, it's typically so unwieldy I really find it kind of annoying.

Your ability to plan out and then find the shots you're getting while things unfold (more or less) in real time is impressive.  I don't think too many people understand what a real challenge and accomplishment that is.

Limiting yourself to minimal glass is brilliant.  I do that as well, and it was a major decision that finally allowed me to actually get more considerate as a shooter. I'd recommend that to anyone/everyone.

Is it all just weddings with you or are you into making documentary films as well?  You've obviously got the aesthetic visual ability.

I'm with you.  I've been shooting gigs for a few years now where I certainly don't look "pro" on location, and quite honestly I don't want to; there's more things to worry about for the jobs I do.

I've played the game where I "dress up" for a client and bring along more stuff.  While I can do it, it's typically so unwieldy I really find it kind of annoying.

Your ability to plan out and then find the shots you're getting while things unfold (more or less) in real time is impressive.  I don't think too many people understand what a real challenge and accomplishment that is.

Limiting yourself to minimal glass is brilliant.  I do that as well, and it was a major decision that finally allowed me to actually get more considerate as a shooter. I'd recommend that to anyone/everyone.

Is it all just weddings with you or are you into making documentary films as well?  You've obviously got the aesthetic visual ability.

Thank you so much !

I do think its the best thing anyone can do, and should do, specially when starting. Having a limitation, glasswise, will make you feel comfortable while shooting, you'll become so used to it that eventually you'll just know exacly what you're gonna get without looking through the viewfinder. On these types of job, what I like to do is just walk around, quick 5 second clips, get lots and lots of dif. shots, details, and "blend" with everyone, so they dont notice im filming, I shoot from the waist, and tilt the screen up most of the times, I want people to be as comfortable as possible.

Lately I've been doing weddings, but its not what I want to do, I'm now starting to do some music videos and have a couple already lined up, but my main goal is to eventually move out(I live in a tiny Island called Madeira, and working in videography here is very very hard and expensive) and work more seriously on films and shortfilms. I can share with you my first shortfilm, done 1.5 years ago, of course I've progressed since then, but Im still quite happy with it, and one should always look back and look at how you started :

https://vimeo.com/111478234

(this was based of an animation I had done previously).