Smartphone beats the GH4/7 for video?

Mattias Burling

• Super Members

See what I did there? ;)

Any who, lots of blah blah about smartphones beating "real" cameras. IMO no camera on the planet is better than another. 
A smartphone easily beats an Alexa. The Alexa kills the GH4. And a GH4 is much better than a smartphone. It all depends on who, where, when and at what cost.

Still, shootouts are fun.
Don't have an iPhone but my LG shoots 200Mbps. My G7 was shooting Cine-D. The XC10 was rocking C-log. 
Had two misses with the ND in the video and haven't even tried to match them in post.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Blind test: 

1: G7

2: Phone

3: XC10

Dynamic range and rolloff on the phone is horrid but otherwise it's impressive.

G7 and XC10 aren't that far apart. You can see a lot more macroblocking in the first clip and highlights seemed worse, which is why I went for the G7. 

XC10 is a nice camera. :)

• Super Members

Blind test: 

1: G7

2: Phone

3: XC10

Dynamic range and rolloff on the phone is horrid but otherwise it's impressive.

G7 and XC10 aren't that far apart. You can see a lot more macroblocking in the first clip and highlights seemed worse, which is why I went for the G7. 

XC10 is a nice camera. :)

No it was 1. XC10 2. Phone 3. G7

It looks to me G7 has more DR

If you look at the side by side of the tree you can see the house in the background blown out on all but the XC10.
But with that said, the G7s Dynamic Range is much better than I thought it would be.
To bad Im not really getting along with it, hopefully I will get used to it because its a really small and nifty backup camera.

Any reasons besides those couple economic foibles that you haven't been getting on with the g7?

Great test. This new generation of phone cameras has been insanely impressive. The XC10 and G7 would definitely match better if you pushed the Panasonic's tint settings a couple notches toward magenta. Maybe it's the color science, but the Canon looks WAY more magenta to my eye.

I'd also like to see an ISO 1600 test scene, because imo, that's where these cameras start to break.

• Super Members

Any reasons besides those couple economic foibles that you haven't been getting on with the g7?

I'd also like to see an ISO 1600 test scene, because imo, that's where these cameras start to break.

The semi sleep is the biggest deal for sure. Other than that there are small things like not being able to assign the punch in. The peaking is really really bad.

And its got quite a crop, makes it almost compete with the bmpcc. And it wouldnt win that battle imo.

But maybe I can get by it. Because over all its really nice and very light.

ISO 1600 could be fun but the LG wouldnt cope and the XC10 would still be 100% clean so no competition really.

I first thought about a lowlight and hooking up my shotgun for a sound test as well but same thing there. XC10 would simply crush them. And it should given the price.

watched it with the sound off and missed the point of the video :3

Comon misstake.