Global Shutter question please

oferlevy

Hi all,

I have recently bought a second hand BMPC 4K and am very happy with it.

I know the 'right' angle when shooting 25p is 180 degrees. However, the other day I needed more light so selected 360 degrees. I did get more light but I wonder what is the "price" I have to pay? In other words - how would the fact I had to select 360 degrees shutter instead of the 180 degrees  - affect the image/footage quality?

Thanks in advance,

Ofer

www.wildlifephotographyschool.com

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi all,

I have recent bought a second hand BMPC 4K and am very happy with it.

I know the 'right' angle when shooting 25p is 180 degrees. However, the other day I needed more light so selected 360 degrees. I did get more light but I wonder what is the "price" I have to pay? In other words - how would the fact I had to select 360 degrees shutter instead of the 180 degrees  - affect the image/footage quality?

Thanks in advance,

Ofer

www.wildlifephotographyschool.com

You get double the motion blur, can look wierd when there is lots of motion or you are hand holding, you will get the sensation that the footage is not as sharp.

Thanks for your comment!

OK - I see. I use a heavy tripod and no camera movement at all as the lens I am using is a Canon 800mm f5.6.

There is a bit of motion but nothing too drastic. I guess I need to consider what is worse - to have to push the exposure in post and get noise or risk some motion blur.

Thanks again,

Ofer

there is nothing strictly wrong with different shutter speeds/ shutter angles... It is an aesthetic choice (for instance alot of Saving Private Ryan has a fast shutter, 45 deg. i think.. which looks good with alot of fast action motion). Certain shots, like waterfalls, can sometimes look nice with a 360 deg angle.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Hi Levy: since I know you're a professional stills photographer, setting the shutter angle to 180 degree in 25p means the shutter speed of each frame/photo is 1/50s, while 360 degree means 1/25s. 

You know how the difference between 1/50s and 1/25s shutter looks. 1/25s a full stop light gain and more motion blur, 1/50s less light stop and less motion blur. I use 360 degree shutter in lowlight situations a lot, it's a full extra stop of light. especially when shooting normal moving subjects not races/sports, in that case motion blur difference is negligble but noise difference isn't, especially on the light-hungry BM4K.