iPhone 6S beats D750 for video

wolf33d

Check this out... by Fstoppers. 

Check also iPhone vs A7R II. Impressive especially the last shot. 

I love the iPhone colors. If only Apple could release a FF mirrorless camera with 4K and super intuitive menu (basically the back of the camera would just be a full touch screen)..

But this won't happen. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Of course the colours will be punchier out of the box - he is shooting in Neutral on the D750. If you'd want to compare out of the box colours, Standard profile is the one to go for for a Nikon. Neutral on a Nikon will look less saturated than any standard profile on any camera. Amazing if this is news to that guy who says he shoots D750 and D810...

1. Blegh. Apple people. 4K on smartphones are a thing for a while now. 'But wooohhh, it's Apple doing it now, look at this, it's amazeballs'. I mean... really?

2. Can't agree with the topic title. It's still a tiny sensor... it's still a very deep depth of field, it's still oversharpened... I thought that was a thing we're trying to avoid by shooting with cameras like the D750, to be more filmlike. The iPhone's footage is way too screamy and harsh for my taste. It lacks nuance. Besides. DYNAMIC RANGE. Man.

3. Of course 4K -> 1080p is going to look sharper/crisper than regular 1080p from a Canon/Nikon fullframe DSLR. To me though, the amount of detail in a deep depth of field shot makes things flat, I need some layering

They need to have another phone like panasonic CM1 but with much better BSI 1" sensor, F1.4 retractable pancake zoom lens with IS, built in ND filter, newer processor like the snapdragon 820 or much faster one, 4K 60 fps, 128 GB storage and expandable with Micro SD U3! and manual controls.

Also price $650 or lower!

They need to have another phone like panasonic CM1 but with much better BSI 1" sensor, F1.4 retractable pancake zoom lens with IS, built in ND filter, newer processor like the snapdragon 820 or much faster one, 4K 60 fps, 128 GB storage and expandable with Micro SD U3! and manual controls.

Also price $650 or lower!

Very good question. On the better camera in phones argument, I have always wondered why they don't have faster lenses (f1.4?) on mobile phones, along with built-in ND filters? The f1.4 zoom idea sounds great. Or they should let users just buy and adapt better lenses on mobile phones, amd sell them separately. Why should we be stuck with fixed f2.0 lenses with tiny sensors. It's terrible. Especially at night. 

The sensor on the new Nexus 5x and 6p does 12.35 MP 12 Bit at 35 fps, 4k at 60p and 2k at 120fps. I guess the Snapdeagon 810 in the 6p may be able to handle a hack pushing up data rates, to capture more information. But I wonder if it will be able to do RAW at 30 or 35 fps without burning  (exploding in the case of the Snapdragon 810). 

I dont know whats the reason to get angry with those videos... or do I? (fanboy..cough!)

Those videos are very entertaining and curious!

I own lots of cameras, including some very expensive ones. I have shot videos with amazing cameras like the Alexa.

BUT!!!! Buuuuuut!!! Do I get amazed by the video quality of my cellphone?? Yes I do!! Will I be selling all of my cameras because of that?? Noo!! 

Stop being haters!! Video technology is getting exciting these days! Will you go out with your DSLR in your pocket? I dont think so!!

Its one more tool for us. Again: STOP BEING A HATER!!

Could you imagine, 10 years ago, having that kind of IQ in YOUR POCKET?? 

I dont know whats the reason to get angry with those videos... or do I? (fanboy..cough!)

Those videos are very entertaining and curious!

I own lots of cameras, including some very expensive ones. I have shot videos with amazing cameras like the Alexa.

BUT!!!! Buuuuuut!!! Do I get amazed by the video quality of my cellphone?? Yes I do!! Will I be selling all of my cameras because of that?? Noo!! 

Stop being haters!! Video technology is getting exciting these days! Will you go out with your DSLR in your pocket? I dont think so!!

Its one more tool for us. Again: STOP BEING A HATER!!

Could you imagine, 10 years ago, having that kind of IQ in YOUR POCKET?? 

Well, you've been using your smartphone for photos and videos a little longer than today, no? And with you... haven't we all? So why act as if suddenly the wheel is reinvented now that Apple introduces 4K to the iPhone? It's not a revolution, it's just an evolution. And one that was already taking place. Yes... in the right direction and please, manufacturers, never stop improving the tech, but you say 'will you go out with your DSLR in your pocket? I don't think so!!', well, let me put it like this: 'will you go on a shoot and show up with your smartphone on a rig? I don't think so!!'. So, I'm not angry or hating, again: hey, new tech is always a good thing, keep being amazed by it! Just not sure why anyone would imply that the video from an iPhone would be better than that out of a purposely designed camera that to me has much more going for it.

Holy smokes, the iPhone 6S blows lo-res Arri Alexa out of the water! Wow, 4K! What will Apple think of next?

They're already working on a driverless car. I think they should call it the iDontcar. There's a silent 'e' at the end.

Next up though is probably a wirelessly controlled energy saving lightbulb and that they'll give the name iPear.

They're already working on a driverless car. I think they should call it the iDontcar. There's a silent 'e' at the end.

Next up though is probably a wirelessly controlled energy saving lightbulb and that they'll give the name iPear.

They already have the Hue in their stores, although that is made by Phillips.

• Super Members

No one is saying Apple invented 4k. Just calm down.

But it is the first time in an iPhone and iPhone users are happy about it. I dont use an iPhone myself but if I did I would be happy about it.

"Here you go sir, 1 million dollars for you."

"Wow, thanks, thats awesome!"

"Hey! Dont you dare be happy about this. Your such an idiot, you think you invented being rich when lots of people already are. Im gonna go spend some of my valuable time before I die, angry about this.... Because thats smart..."

;)

• Super Members

But the big problem here is this thread. I don't think anybody in this thread watched the video. I did and the video already says every single thing pointed out here.

The people against that test are against 4K, against bitrate and hate Panasony for implementing 4K and high bitrate video...? Why?
I like having high bitrate and would love in Canikon followed Panasonys lead.

I watched the video. it's obvious resolution is better on the iphone. that's about all I see. and when it's uncropped, I don't even really see that. he mentions colors, which.. I don't know about that. DR is definitely better on the d750, though yeah, you don't need a million stops. image looks good, it's just a weird paring and weird parameters really

• Super Members

IMO, The point of the test that he clearly states where,

1. DSLR is better than phone.
2. A phone can NOT replace a real camera.
3. Its sad that Canikon doesn't implement 4K, given their high price.
4. Its sad that Canikon doesn't implement high bitrate, given their high price.
5. Its great that Panasony have implemented 4K and high bitrate.
6. There isn't a good reason for it since Samsung and even Apple have it in their phones.